“Great place to stay!”

Ranked #7 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Oxnard, California, United States
“Great place to stay!”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This was a great place to stay. I was there for work/school business and couldn't have been happier. Staff was excellent and willing to meet my needs. It's location is superb, about 2 blocks outside of the Capitol. There's a lot of great eateries and coffee houses on each side of the hotel. I would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Start with the raw material: The Citizen's early 20th-century bones are beautiful. It's a classy hotel beautifully restored and tastefully decorated with political cartoons & photos that play off Sacramento's role as state capital. My room was super-comfortable and quiet, and the in-hotel restaurant, The Grange, is a class act. Breakfast choices were healthy and well-presented. Dinner was exquisite.

Room Tip: My room was away from the street, so it was perfectly quiet. I imagine the rooms right on J Street...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Philip W
Merced, California
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We stayed here at The Citizen Hotel for my college graduation. I've been wanting to stay here as soon as I found out the dates of my graduation. This is the best hotel is the state capital. The room was clean, classically decorated, and very luxurious. The bathroom was huge! My favorite part of the room was being able to open up the large windows in both the bedroom and bathroom. The front desk was very courteous upon checking for both myself and for my family. It is pricey here, but worth it for my special day.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer D
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This hotel is so beautiful. I love that sacramento kept up this historical hotel. Its so nice to go to a classy hotel thats different from most places in tje area. And the location is great. It was central to everywhere I needed to go. Its a bit pricey, but worth the cost for excellent service and a one of a kind hotel.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank sydneyalexander
Berkeley, California
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Stayed in the Citizen for business and was pleasantly surprised. It was a busy street we faced but hotel was quiet! Clean, classic rooms, tastefully decorated with a touch of political cartoons to remind you you are blocks from the state capital!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank adventuregirl25
Oliver, Canada
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I booked this hotel because of its great rating on TripAdvisor, and was not disappointed. My room was small but comfortable, with a unique decor that was elegant and humourous. The room had framed political cartoons as decoration, and there are very funny quotes about politics in the elevators (different quotes in each one). It was possible to get the room very dark, which I appreciate. One glitch was a smoke alarm or other sensor that flashed every few seconds. I pulled the covers over my head, but it seems to me putting this in the hall would make more sense than right where it can be seen from the bed in an otherwise pitch black room.

The room has a mini-bar fridge with automatic sensors, so any item you remove is automatically added to your bill, but if you don't actually take it, they're good about removing it from your bill. All of the standard amenities were there, including an iron and ironing board, hair dryer, plush robes, even an umbrella.

Check-in and check-out were very smooth and easy.

I definitely opted for valet parking, which costs $25 but is very efficient. While you can park on the street, metering begins at 8 am, so if you're not planning an early getaway in the morning, you'll need to get out and plug your meter. And downtown Sacramento is not someplace I'd want to leave my car, so paying for valet parking seemed like a reasonable expense.

I ate dinner at the restaurant, with two of their specialty cocktails. I enjoyed both food and drink, as well as the service.

All in all, a very good stay. The bed was very comfortable, the thermostat was easy to adjust, the bathroom was excellent. I even enjoyed the local magazines left on the desk, which gave me some insight into the area. Earplugs in the bathroom was a nice touch, and I did make use of them. The old central staircase means voices can echo up and down, and my room was near the elevators and stairs. Even so, it was restful and enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JoAnninOliver
Fresno, California
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I recommend The Citizen. It is very classy. I love the old architecture and the staff was very helpful and friendly. It is walking distance from the convention center. Their interior design is sumptuous. I loved the teal walls, high ceilings, black crown molding, coral love seat and massive brushed metal swirled framed mirror. The bathroom was fabulous- old school look, but modern upgrades. The suite had a shared balcony and the city view was great, although I couldn't figure how to open the door. (I would have inquired, but didn't have time). I'd recommend redoing the coral love seat in the living room in #1404 because it was showing signs of wear and perhaps getting a more comfortable pullout sleeper, since this one could be more comfortable. This was why I didn't give it a 5 star for cleanliness, but I loved this room!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business