“Historic hotel with great service and nice rooms”

The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #7 of 82 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Stayed here for one night to go out for a nice dinner at Ella's for our anniversary.

The hotel is historic and still keeps its charm while being very nicely appointed and updated with all modern amenities. Front desk staff was great. They even asked us if we are light sleepers and then offered us a room away from the floor where a wedding party was staying. Nice touch.

Our room was very nice but small. Maybe that's because it was a corner unit. Not sure.

It's right downtown; easy to walk to everything -- and don't miss the restaurant attached to the hotel. It's very good.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed at the citizen while attending a conference in Sacramento. It is in great location and the rooms are nice. Having said that, my room is very small. The bathroom is larger than the sleeping room. The beds are comfortable and the furnishings of good quality. Avoid room service unless money isn't important. Grilled cheese and ice tea cost 22.00. A little pricey. My room is very quiet which is nice. I cannot hear neighbors, street noise, elevators, or hallway traffic. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I just don't get it. This place is #2 in Sacramento on Trip Advisor. I thought I'd love it...and it was just OK.

ROOM
My friend and I shared a Double queen sized room while we attended a wedding nearby in Sept 2012. The queen room was probably about 200 sq ft....tiny tiny.

BATHROOM
The bathroom was comprised of a step in shower (no tub) with a million little white tiles---it reminded me of those scary 1970s horror movies where someone is about to get slashed-murdered in a gym.

The rolling door to the bathroom also did not fully close and was not lockable . No privacy. So this is not a good hotel for business travel if you are staying with a co-worker or basically, anyone who isn't a close friend. I mentioned this at check out and the girl seemed indifferent. She shrugged, like she knew it was a problem. What?

LOBBY & SERVICE
The lobby was small, which is average for boutique hotels, but not terribly charming when compared to other Boutique brands like Kimpton.

Our front desk receptionist was pleasant but unhelpful. We arrived right around check in time but was told that they might not have a room available for us since everyone else had checked in "early" that day. Ugh, well good for them...but we need to change ASAP to get to this wedding on time. They don't have an on-site spa and they also do not provide courtesy day rooms. So we were told to go downstairs to the basement and change in the bathroom. Ummm.....yeah.

At check out, the receptionist also refused to provide me with an invoice of my stay since according to her, "I had booked through Orbitz." Right, but I like to get hotel invoices to make sure they didn't accidentally charge me for stuff I never ordered like minibar stuff. It was a minor thing, but slightly annoying.

The staff here are all act very young....and the level of service just wasn't up to par.

PARKING
Parking is hard to find around here, and the meter maids are hardcore. We got a $40 ticket for being late about 8 minutes back to our car. Booo----our own fault I guess...but just make sure you take the street parking rules seriously around here.

NEIGHBORHOOD
At night, this area is pretty lively w/a bar scene. We skipped it (since we were at the wedding), but it seemed fun and convenient if you stay at this hotel. The surrounding areas had tons of homeless people, but it wasn't too scary at night if you walk w/a friend. There's a park right across the street. so that's where they all sleep.

VALET
The valet guys were really nice here. They let us "valet" the car when we first checked in after we explained that we just needed to check in and change. They held our car for about an hour when it took forever for the front desk to finally find us a room.

The best thing here was that the bed was comfy & sheets were really clean. A Kuerig is in the closet for use, w/2 free Kcups of coffee...so bring your own. No water is provided...but I brought bottled water so that was easy.

JOIE DE VIVRE CLUB
If you are a part of their loyalty club, you get free WiFi and a fruit plate upon check in. I am, but I booked through Orbitz so they refused to honor the club benefits. Kinda lame. We stayed only 1 night so I didn't really care...but just FYI.

3 stars...

P.S. For anyone who is familiar w/the SF Tenderloin area, this building looks and feels EXACTLY like the 100 McAllister building, right down to the black & white old school ballroom tiles and the 3 elevators facing the lobby area with the old school mail drop. In fact, our hotel room felt like my old dorm room at McAllister (which is not a good thing).

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank lilpooh108
Reviewed October 18, 2012

My new company put me up here the night before my interview with them. I travelled from Chicago and was exhausted when I arrived. Check in was quick so I was up to my room and in the comfortable bed within minutes of arrival. The bed was just what I needed after 6 hours of travel. In the morning I ordered room service which was probably the best room service meal I've had (and I order a lot of room service breakfast). The bathroom was spacious and the shower was strong.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank LizzChicago
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed here at the end of a four week trip around California for our honeymoon. Our room was lovely, very clean and very quiet. The hotel is positioned well within the city.

We had had our credit card cloned earlier in our trip. Our credit card company had wired us the money which ended up being extremely complicated and stressful. In frustration, we asked at reception if they could help us as we had really hit a brick wall. Blaine was working the front desk. She spent about an hour with us making phone calls and looking up information for us on the Internet. I cannot stress how amazing Blaine was and really helped to calm us down. Although the issue was not resolved simply, she really went out of her way and was really rather determined to solve this issue for us. We were utterly stunned that someone would spend so much time and effort to help a couple of strangers. Nothing was too much effort for her.

I do hope her manager reads this and passes on our thanks. You should give this lady a pay rise and a promotion. What an absolute asset to your hotel. Keep hold of her! Thanks Blaine!

Room Tip: We stayed on one of the top floors where there were only 4 or 5 rooms. Very quiet!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 10, 2012

My coworkers and I were traveling to Sac on a business trip and were tired of the chain hotel down the street, so I looked at the nearby options and found this beauty! The building was built in 1924 and has lots of great Art Deco touches! Our check in with a credit card authorization beforehand from work was quick and seamless, and we all received our requested upper floor rooms. The rooms were very clean with great beds and wonderful city views. The bathrooms were large and well stocked with nice bath soaps, shampoos, etc. A Keurig coffee maker made making some outstanding coffee in the morning a breeze. The workout room was well equipped and I was the only person utilizing it both mornings. What was also fun was the nice staircase that spanned the entire 14 floors- a most excellent stairmaster! All the staff was very nice and went beyond the norm to make sure our stay was fun and comfortable. With the convention center and the state capitol two blocks away, I have found my go-to hotel for Sacramento! I can't wait to take my husband for a non work trip!

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Kenipela
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Nice hotel and good restaurant and bar. Great location - close to freeway, restaurants and bars. Our room was spacious and the bed was very comfortable. Bath products were nice too - Lather and there were robes and hairdryers.

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor across from a banquet room. While it was noisy in the afternoon, we did no...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family