“Beautiful boutique hotel downtown with personality”

The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #7 of 83 Hotels in Sacramento
Reviewed January 24, 2012

The Citizen Hotel is a really cool, modern, politically-themed boutique hotel in a historic building. The rooms and lobby are decorated beautifully and it just feels like a special place. The customer service is first class and there are lots of added amenities in the rooms. I only ate breakfast in the restaurant, but it was delightful. I was disappointed that valet parking is all that is available at $25/day, but the valet staff were efficient and friendly. The exercise room was basic but functional and the business center was well equipped. There are a few hidden fees to watch out for, but overall, it's a luxurious place to stay if you need to be downtown.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 23, 2012

We traveled for fun to Sacramento and enjoyed the citizen hotel. Our room was a corner room with pleanty of space. The staff was very informative and helped plan our outings to the American river bike trail, old sac, and the state capital. The staff at the citizen put in extra effort and really took care of all our needs. We enjoyed the night life in the area and the restaurant Ten22 in old sac. We will definitely stay at the citizen again. (The suits were happy here too).

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed January 22, 2012

This is a big hotel with a boutique feel. They make all the spaces nice and cozy but not cramped instead of the huge spaces with a large chain hotel. The hotel is decorated beautifully and with being right near the capital has old political art hung up throughout. The rooms themselves are gorgeous and super comfortable. We stayed in one of the Penthouse suites on New years Eve and it was great. The connect system they have with an apple computer is great too, you can watch things on your Hulu or netflix account if you wanted to on the big screen. The bathrooms and bedroom are beautifully appointed and have everything you could dream of. We only got to stay one night and have already said we want to go back again when we have more time to enjoy it. The restaurant in the hotel is great too. There were three couples and everybody loved what they got for breakfast, it was perfect.

Room Tip: Get a penthouse if you can they have a wonderful balcony that overlooks the capital building and the...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2012

I chose this hotel based on closeness to downtown and the good reviews on this site. I was not disapointed. A bellman walked down the sidewalk to greet me as i left the airport shuttle. The lobby was quiet and elegant. Elevators are decorated with political quotes. The room was a bit on the small side, but the bathroom was huge. I had roomservice from the Grange...delicious. Lowkey professional courteous service that left nothing to be desired. The room rate was very comparable to Holiday Inn,etc.

Reviewed January 20, 2012

This is a beautifully-restored boutique hotel in an early 19th century apartment building. My only complaint is the small rooms, but that's okay. But who needs a huge room, especially if you are traveling alone. You will be pampered at this well-appointed downtown hotel. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Get an upper story room.
Reviewed January 13, 2012

I'll admit, last time I reviewed this hotel, I rated it poorly due to a billing issue (March 2010). The manager called me and apologized, and the policy has since changed.

I stayed here 2 weeks ago, and was given room 1322. Wow. I could have had a party in my bathroom. The bedroom, as usual, was comfortable, sumptuous, intimate, and cozy. Staff is pleasant and top-notch. If I didn't need to get home for a meeting, I would have stayed an extra night just because it was so nice.

I can't wait to go back this week, and then again next month. I'll keep my eye on my e-mails for my "Chip's Picks" and book the Citizen whenever I have business in Sacramento.

1  Thank SCashCalifornia
Reviewed January 13, 2012

The Citizen is a hotel we come to whenever we are in Sacramento. Like other JDV properties, it is well decorated with a distinct theme throughout-in this case, politics! It is clean, and has everything you need when here on business. The restaurant is great as well.