WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #11 of 81 Hotels in Sacramento
Los Angeles, California
“Wonderful stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2011

We had a great experience staying at the Citizen Hotel. It's a very charming, old building that has been nicely renovated. All common areas and the room are tastefully decorated with political themes, for example quotes on the elevator walls, protest photos in the hallway, a political cartoon hanging up on the bathroom wall. The room was very clean, equipped with helpful amenities such as robes and coffee/tea maker, the bed and linens were comfortable, and the toiletries were good quality. It is within short walk to many restaurants (the hotel restaurant The Grange is very good), the Crest Theatre which shows independent films, and the capitol building. The only negatives are charges for room internet service (although a short time period in the business center is free) and parking although it's such a convenient location we walked and took cabs to get around.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jana1389

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2011

This was a business trip and the hotel was perfect. The room wasn't huge but everything was there. Loved the scent of the bathroom extras. Very nice staff and service

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank nancy118
Citizenmanagement, General Manager at The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 6, 2011
Dear nancy118,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and tell of your experience at our hotel. We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your next visit!

Mark Mathews
Managing Director
The Citizen Hotel
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2011

I had to visit UC Davis for medical tests and we decided to make it a mini-vacation with a nice hotel. Mission accomplished. This hotel is gorgeous, and the decor makes you feel like you're in The Untouchables movie. Conveniently, there is an ATM on-site (but it's downstairs in this kinda creepy basement area).
The valets open the door every single time you get near it; I'm a smoker and had to go outside several times that day/night; it was nice to have them there when I went out for a smoke at 4am.
When we arrived we were upgraded to a King from a Queen without even having to ask, as that was what was available on the higher floor we requested (to be away from traffic noise--12th floor, nice views and quiet). Opening the windows to get air in the room was nice, and there was a thermostat on the wall, which is a godsend because I get too hot/cold very easily. Blackout drapes worked like a charm for an afternoon nap.
We ate at The Grange and the waiter was great and the food excellent. Highly recommend the butterscotch pudding--it sounds odd in a fine-dining situation but they elevate it accordingly and it was fabulous!
Oddly the WATER in the room was wonderful. Every time I washed my hands they felt so CLEAN. I don't know if they have soft water, but that was my guess and it was good enough that I went home and leased a water softener.
As mentioned in other reviews, the rooms are small. It's a hotel, you're probably there to sleep, not to do calisthenics so I'm not understanding what everyone needs all that room for. It's cozy and I appreciate that.
The only not-great parts: Shower, no bathtub in our room, with a shower curtain, which can be a bit peskier than shower doors. Also, there's no counter just a tiny shelf, so doing hair/makeup was a bit challenging, but was made up for by the awesome magnifying lighted mirror provided.
The blowdryer is in a fabric bag hanging with the robes. It was hard to find, so there's your tip--that's where it is. We couldn't find it so we called the desk and they brought one up. I felt silly and ended up with two when we figured out where the darn thing lived.
Alarm Clock: My husband couldn't figure out how to set it (we're starting to sound pretty dumb, maybe you'll have better luck) so he unplugged it. ...it has a battery, so unplugging it didn't work and the alarm went off at 4am.
Room Service Menu: It was more limited than most I've seen and we had to call down to the desk because we couldn't find it in the room--because it's not in the room, it's on the television. Speaking of things on the television, the check-out feature wasn't working. BUT we called down to the desk and they checked us out in about one minute over the phone, so that's okay.
That's all just me nitpicking though, and all the problems we ran into the staff addressed immediately--they were great. Overall great hotel, absolutely fantastic restaurant and we will definitely be back because my husband thinks it would be neat to play a game of chess on the board in their lobby. Now that you know where the blowdryer and room service menu are and about the alarm clock, you should have a perfect stay!

Room Tip: 12th floor was great--nice views and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Corinakitty
Santa Monica, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

This hotel is a fun, historic, and generally a nice place to stay. After staying there on vacation last summer with the family and liking it, I went back for a weekend conference at the convention center. It wasn't as good this time
- bathroom smelled strongly of men's aftershave
- in-room amenities weren't fully stocked: there was only one coffee with cafeine, no pad of paper or pen, bathroom supplies sparse (next day much better after i said something)
- Saturday night there was a lot of noise - apparently from a wedding - that went quite late
- staying on 13th floor the elevator was wacky
- breakfast at the Grange was expensive and so-so (go next door to the coffee shop or wak a few blocks to one of the many diners or coffee shops in the area - dinner was again excellent and enjoyable at the Grange. good food, good service at night.

Room Tip: The rooms are small and a bit funky - its historc
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Gringacriolla
Citizenmanagement, General Manager at The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 18, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I am so sorry that some aspects of it were not up to par. I appreciate the feedback and will share it with our team so that we can improve ourselves and our guest experience.
Forney, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2011

I really liked this hotel. Luckily, I had a junior suite wherein I still felt a little "squeezed in." Others who were traveling with me complained about the sizes of their rooms, so if that matters to the reader, I would look into it before I arrive. I should mention that I emailed a request and received NO answer. I mentioned that when checking in and was told that was not surprising! Oh well. I didn't care for all of the gadgets. In order to see the room service menu one has to figure out how to use the wide screen TV! Seems ironic given the traditional charm this hotel offers. The location is fine if you are attending anything at the convention center. The bed was very comfortable and there were nice amenities in the room included. I was very please with my stay here .

Room Tip: If size matters, know what you are getting
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Citizenmanagement, General Manager at The Citizen Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, April 4, 2011
Thank you for your valuable feedback. I am glad to see you enjoyed your stay despite some of the challenges that being in an historic building brings such as room sizes on some of our floors. We have tried to blend both traditional trappings and cutting edge technology to create a unique guest experience. I apologize that you did not recieve a response to your email request. I receive those myself and am diligent in responding so I am puzzled as to what happened. Perhaps if you have time you could forward me what email address you sent it to so I could investigate it. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2011

Every city should have a hotel this good!

I am wrapping up a year of spending 2-3 weeks a month in Sacramento. I didn't write a review earlier, because it was too bad for me when the Citizen was sold out and I couldn't get a room here. But now that my gig here is winding down, it's okay to say--stay here, this hotel is excellent.

Ah, what a wonderful, comfortable hotel. All those nights staying at the Citizen, and I never felt the bummer of another night in a hotel. The beds--most comfortable mattress I've slept on anywhere. The staff is excellent (I practically lived here for many many months, and every interaction with a staff person was positive).

A great farmers market in the park across the street twice a week in the summer. An easy walk to the Capitol. An excellent local coffee shop around the corner. A slightly longer walk to many restaurant choices in midtown. Grange (restaurant attached to the hotel) is excellent--maybe the best restaurant in Sacramento, but, uh, better if someone else is paying or you have more money than me.

Well done, Citizen.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2011

This is a great hotel, centrally located in downtown Sacramento. I definitely recommend this hotel and the Grange restaraunt located adjacent to the lobby. The motif of past politics of Sacarmento is a nice touch

Enjoy.