“Lots to See Here!”
Review of Crocker Art Museum

Crocker Art Museum
Ranked #2 of 173 things to do in Sacramento
More attraction details
Owner description: The Crocker Art Museum was one of the first art museums in the U.S. and is now one of the leading art institutions in California. Established in 1885, the Museum features one of the country’s finest collections of Californian art, exceptional holdings of master drawings, a comprehensive collection of international ceramics, as well as European, Asian, African, and Oceanic art. The Crocker is CLOSED every Monday.
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I visited here a few days ago after lunching with family in Sacramento. I had been wanting to visit this museum for a few years and I am so glad I finally took the time for a tour. This museum located in a beautiful complex is quite large and has so many exhibits, that I found it rather difficult to see the whole thing in one trip. I spent more than 2-1/2 hours here and although I saw most of the museum, I don't think I saw it all. There are a variety of exhibits to absorb. Exhibits can be found on three floors and include European paintings: (Central European - 19th century, Dutch and Flemish - 16th, 17th century and Italian-Baroque); California and American Art from statehood to the present day including paintings, sculptures, craft media, pop art, abstract; Works on Paper; International Ceramics; 18th century Meissen porcelain tableware; Asian Art including Japanese teaware, Korean ceramics; Indian, Buddhist art, statuary; African and Oceanic art including masks, statuary, carvings. The museum building is very beautiful and spacious. I loved the wing of the old Crocker home, reading about the history of the family and seeing some artifacts. What gorgeous rooms. The Crocker family gathered much of the artwork in this museum while on trips to Europe and Asia and the collection is impressive. During my visit here on a Tuesday afternoon, I often was viewing the exhibits in rooms all by myself since there were few visitors. The museum features a cafe and lovely eating area although I did not try the food. There is also a museum store. What a great attraction in Sacramento! I would definitely recommend if you are visiting in the area or want to make a trip to Sacramento. I plan to come back again in the future as there are changing exhibits and I would like to explore the museum further.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

The Crocker keeps getting better all the time. The new addition has allowed the museum to display so much more of their permanent collection and to put on major exhibits like the recent exhibit of the paintings of Norman Rockwell, which drew record numbers of viewers. The new part has an excellent cafe and space for various concerts. We are very lucky indeed to have such a vibrant cultural mecca right here in Sacramento.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

went for the Rockwell exhibit and was delighted with the treatment of that show. The Crocker is a wonderful place to take kids or spend a couple of quiet hours viewing art and learning about our past. The Rockwell exhibit would be well worth seeing wherever it is displayed. I was pretty overwhelmed with the depth of his work. also the cafe at the Crocker has an excellent range of food for reasonable price and all we had was delicious! Food provided by the Supper Club,a future restaurant visit.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

What a fabulous place to view the artwork of an American Icon. I loved the way the exhibit was set up and the pieces that were included.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

The newly expanded Crocker Art Museum includes much more exhibit space for changing exhibits. The Crocker is known for its important collection of historic California art and the expanded galleries both show the work of great California artists, as well as of those from other times and places. If you appreciate great art, include a visit to the Crocker when in Sacramento. You won't be disappointed.