“Norman Rockwell”
Review of Crocker Art Museum

Crocker Art Museum
Ranked #2 of 170 things to do in Sacramento
More attraction details
Owner description: The Crocker Art Museum was one of the first art museums in the U.S. and is now one of the leading art institutions in California. Established in 1885, the Museum features one of the country’s finest collections of Californian art, exceptional holdings of master drawings, a comprehensive collection of international ceramics, as well as European, Asian, African, and Oceanic art. The Crocker is CLOSED every Monday.
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Really only viewed the Norman Rockwell exhibit and thoroughly enjoyed it---took me back to my youth. We also enjoyed a bit of lunch there, and there were many goodlooking or sounding choices.

There are newer reviews for Crocker Art Museum

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Very friendly staff and great location. The Crocker proves that smaller does not mean lesser quality; it ranks with the best. Lots of local color in the museum, and we love the travelling exhibits, like the Rockwell we saw Saturday. Finally, the email/website system is very easy to handle and attractively laid out. Highly recommended!

1  Thank thomturner3636
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Outstanding mix of 17th/18th/19th century masterpieces in the original Crocker house and more modern pieces (paintings, sculptures, ceramics, photography, etc.) in the awesomely beautuiful new multi-million dollar addition. Nice intimate theatre for live music, film and lecture programs. Fabulous traveling exhibits. Currenty showing Norman Rockwell exhibit.
rlw

1  Thank Robert W
Reviewed November 25, 2012

We visited the bay area for the weekend and were planning to participate in outdoor sports. On Saturday when the weather went bad to worse we were totally unprepared. Thankfully, I remembered an article about the Norman Rockwell exhibit at the Crocker Art Museum which I read on the Alaska Airline’s in-flight magazine on the way in.
When we arrived at the museum around noon, it was pouring outside. A parking spot was hard to come by and heavy rainfall gave us poor visibility. We finally found a spot to park; because if was Saturday, we didn’t need to feed the parking meter with the quarters (we didn’t have any quarters so I was glad). We paid $10 (adult general admission) per person. They had an unattended small cloakroom inside where you can leave your jacket/umbrella and it was rather packed. I wasn’t willing to lose my jacket there so I kept on going to the 3rd floor where the Rockwell Exhibit was going on. It was busy and the most popular of them all was the Saturday Evening Post Covers. We tried not to bother other patrons viewing but it was impossible; we had to go in front and back and right and left just to walk though between the exhibit walls. I saw several people sketching Rockwell’s works and it was interesting.
We also viewed the museum’s permanent exhibits which were attended by less people. They also announced several times for Docent lead tours. We didn’t take advantage of it but a few times we overheard a Docent’s talk and it was very interesting.
The part of the museum that is in the old Crocker Mansion and its ballroom were gorgeous. The newer part, the main museum part was well configured. I appreciated the numbers and locations of the restrooms on each floor. The first floor was occupied with the gift shop and the café where I saw younger patrons.
If you are interested in the Rockwell exhibit, try weekdays or non-holidays. If you are there for the permanent exhibits, any day is a good day to visit.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

My opinion on Crocker Art Museum is thet the people there have AMAZING ARTISTIC SKILLS! When i was there i was just dropping off something but from i saw it was a memorie i could not replace!

1  Thank bleucheese123