“Great Intro to the Gold Rush and Sacramento”

Sutter’s Fort State Historic Park
Ranked #12 of 143 things to do in Sacramento
More attraction details
Owner description: Recreation of John Sutter's fort.
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This was the start of our tour of Gold Country.

The fort wasn't crowded and there were docents dressed in period costumes who were able to answer our questions. We were provided with an interesting insight into the gold rush and life at that time.

A good introduction to our few days of touring.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"interesting history"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I'm originally from the Midwest, so it was interesting for me to go here to learn more about what the Settlers went through while traveling across country and what they had to deal with once they arrived in the area. Although it doesn't go into long detail about every single aspect of life, they had a lot of nice mini descriptors about several different areas of the frontier, along with a lot of interesting artifacts that you can later research on your own time. Some people complain that they didn't give enough information. I personally hate it when they give too much information. If I see that it will take more than 5 minutes to read about a small photo or object, I want to move on to the next item. I like knowing the basics and then researching the stuff that I really want to know about later. But that's just me.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We were lucky enough to visit on a day where a school group was engaged in living history lessons. It was fun to watch the students learn to lasso, dip candles, wash laundry and more. I don't know if it would have been nearly as interesting without them. The rooms are great to look at, but their experiences really made it come alive for us, too.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great place to learn about early Sacramento and how it was settled. Downtown area is lovely with many trees.