“The closest I've gotten to TRUE New York pizza while living in CA”

Giovanni's Old World New York Pizzeria
Ranked #201 of 2,013 Restaurants in Sacramento
Cuisines: Pizza
San Francisco, California
“The closest I've gotten to TRUE New York pizza while living in CA”
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Let me preface this by saying that I am a native New Yorker who has been living in CA for 10 years.

I have been to Gio's multiple times with others and have always ordered a plain pie, New York size. The pizza is by far the closest I've gotten to true New York pizza while living in CA. Truly yummy by my standards and my non-New Yorker friends who have tried it have loved it.

I have to admit the atmosphere reminds me a bit of home. If you're expecting a fancy restaurant, you'll surely be disappointed. It's a no-frills pizza place with the focus where it should be--on the food! If you don't like the atmosphere, get your pie to-go. All pies are made to order, so expect to wait a little bit, especially for the larger pies. But there's a tv to watch while you wait if you don't have company to converse with.

Take Home Message:
For those of you who genuinely like pizza from places like Pizza Hut, Dominoes, Round Table, Little Cesar's, or are looking for "California" style pizza (like the stuff served at the restaurants with nice atmosphere's) or Chicago's deep crust pizza, you will all be very disappointed simply because this pizza is not what you are accustomed to. However, if you appreciate New York's pizza, you will not be disappointed! If Gio's was closer to where I lived I'd be eating here much more often. Instead I simply make sure I have leftovers to take home.

• Visited March 2012

• Korean first
Sacramento, CA
“Really tasty pizza”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

This is different than the typical California style pie, thinner and not as loaded. They have some really great combos that you won't get anywhere else. Particularly good is the home-made sausage and red pepper, and the meatballs/ricotta. These are real meatballs not crappy frozen ones, and anyway you can barely get a meatball pizza on the West Coast. They also have beer made to their own recipes by Sudwerk. It really helps when the owner is there. For one, he will make you black and tans and other beer combos. He knows how to do it. And the pizza just comes out better when he is there. But even if he's not it is still way above average.

• Visited March 2012
California Hot Springs, California
“good pizza, good prices”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Just perfect if the pizza bug nips at your heels; pizza is excellent, prices great. Does lack at attempt at atmosphere, but this is, after all, pizza.

• Visited February 2012
Sacramento, California
“Really good pizza”
Reviewed May 12, 2011

I love the pizza and it is close to home so that is a plus. I kind of like the low key atmosphere and self service aspect. It is a bit pricey but you can usually get a coupon. I have found some on the back of my grocery receipts. I actually made my family take me there for my last birthday.

• Visited April 2011
Sacramento, California
“not like old times”
Reviewed March 29, 2011

must have changed hands a while back.
burnt crust, very little olive oil. skimpy on cheees and sauce. used to be like a new york pizza, now it tastes awful. fix it or my whole neighborhood goes to roun table.

Visited March 2011