“To me it's losing its' lustre”

Peju Province Winery
Ranked #7 of 26 things to do in Rutherford
More attraction details
Owner description: When Tony and Herta "H.B." Peju relocated to Rutherford from Los Angeles 32 years ago, they brought with them a vision of building a winery, an unwavering work ethic, and two young daughters who soaked in the couple's entrepreneurial spirit and love for Napa's beautiful farmland. They established Peju Province Winery and dedicated themselves to welcoming guests and to crafting exceptional wines from their organically farmed estate vineyard. Still family owned and operated today, Peju Province Winery has transformed over the past 32 years from a simple grape growing venture into a landmark winery celebrated for elegant, complex, and balanced wines in the classic Bordeaux varieties.
Reviewed December 7, 2011

For several years, Peju was on my must stop list when I visit Napa (Generally once a year).

This last visit will have me re-evaluating that. Perhaps it was just the day I visited, but it was mayhem inside. A members function upstairs and apparently, if the Internet goes down, it throws a real curve ball to the sales people to sell their product.

I walked in knowing exactly what I wanted and ended up waiting 10 minutes to buy it while the staff chatted behind the counter. One of them knew I wanted to purchase as she'd directed me to go to the counter in the first place.

Apparently, the cash registers don't function when the Internet is down?? Another couple next to me commented that they were waiting far too long to pick up their purchases as well (apparently they were members picking up something)

Others were waiting to do tastings and wondering why they had to wait so long.

I discovered another winery this time round that I will put on my list ahead of Peju on future trips. Perhaps they've gotten too large/popular for their own good. A shame really, because had I reviewed them after my first visit there, I'd have given them an excellent.

Reviewed November 22, 2011

This was our last visit on our day trip around Napa and we just loved it. We had a great time. We had Allan as our guide and he sang. It was so much fun. We sang along and laughed and had GREAT wine. I would go back again and again. But be sure to have a reservation. We saw several waiting in line and it did NOT look fun! XO to the Peju!!!!

Reviewed November 20, 2011

This is our first visit to wine country. My husband and I were not "wine drinkers" prior to our visit to wine country but we are now!!! Peju was wonderful and our Wine Master was fun and we really enjoyed his tasting. It was very laid back and not a stuffy experience. Peju is a must.

Reviewed November 13, 2011

I know...after you have been in and out of a few wineries its hard to know what is really good. We loved this winery. It started with a group tasting where they talk about food grouping. Everyone in our group were laughing and having a good time. We loved their red that is served cold. It is versitile and impressive. Go enjoy and don't yell at me when you send home a case of beer or a few bottles of mustard.

Reviewed October 18, 2011

Maybe we were spoiled from having such great experiences at the other wineries that day, but we did not enjoy our time at Peju. Out of the three wineries that day (Vincent Arroyo, Pride Mountain and Peju), it was the only one that charged a tasting fee ($15 which could be credited toward a bottle), maybe because they knew their wine wasn't really good enough for people to buy? There were a few other groups participating in the wine tasting with us. We stood around a bar and listened to the host making stupid jokes, rapping bad puns and even yodeling. We tried 6 different wines, none of which were particularly good (the best one of course cost $85/bottle and even it wasn't as good as the cheaper wines we had tried elsewhere). It felt impersonal and hurried and the host's attempt at humor were just lame. As my husband said, he was a rapping and yodeling grandfather. The grounds were nice but that was about it. We couldn't leave soon enough.

1  Thank AnneAKAdvice