“Snooty staff, high tasting prices, and few options”
Review of Inglenook

Inglenook
Ranked #2 of 26 things to do in Rutherford
More attraction details
Owner description: The Inglenook legacy began in 1879 when Gustave Niebaum, a Finnish sea captain, wine connoisseur and entrepreneur, came to Rutherford to build a wine estate that would rival Europe's finest. When Niebaum's grandnephew, John Daniel, Jr. inherited the chateau and vineyards in the 1930s, Inglenook had already earned international acclaim. Francis and Eleanor Coppola purchased the property in 1975 and have spent forty years reuniting the original vineyards, returning winemaking operations to the chateau, and restoring Inglenook's illustrious heritage with the help of renowned wine consultant Stephane Derenoncourt and Managing Director and Winemaker Philippe Bascaules. In honor of this estate and its historical significance, we have restored the name, Inglenook.
Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Snooty staff, high tasting prices, and few options”
Reviewed September 11, 2009

A great museum area (small but very interesting and informative). I really love the Francis Coppola cab, so I was so excited to try their Niebaum cab. We hadn't planned a trip or tour here, but stopped on our way to a different scheduled tour. I asked If I could do a tasting of a few of the cabs, and they would not let me do that, so I still paid $15 for the cheapest tasting (3 wines, only 1 was a cab). When I got to the tasting bar, I asked the pourer as well if I could just try cab's, and he just kept stating out the same scripted statement about the tasting I purchased-literally ignoring my question-twice. The entire staff here was snooty as heck! Thier tasting and tour prices were WAY above competitors. And as for the cab, I actually didn't like the neibaum version nearly as much as I like Francis's version. I would never return to this winery. Gorgeous grounds.

6 Thank drkimb352

• Finnish first
long island, ny
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“So sad :-(”
Reviewed August 25, 2009

This could have been a beautiful experience, but unfortunately it has become a run of the mill gift shop. Although we spent hundreds of dollars on 2 bottles of wine - we were treated like tourists. We had just come from visiting "Silver Oak" what a great experience. My advise - visit Silver Oak, buy the better wine - and go home and enjoy. It will be a fantastic day :-)

4 Thank winelover100
Boston
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Lovely experience, great wine!”
Reviewed August 22, 2009

This is the most beautiful vineyard I have been to in my 6 trips to Napa. We also had wonderful wine and a great tour to learn the history of one of the oldest vineyards in Napa. I usually hate tours, but this was great. The staff was incredibly sweet and knowledgeable. Go, you won't regret it.

2 Thank LisaHBoston
Chino Hills, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Met the Big Guy & his Wife, nice people, winery great, fee not!”
Reviewed August 19, 2009

I drove with my ex-wife and our daughter for a family vacation to the Napa area. Our purpose was to see Niebau-Coppola Winery. Not familiar with the area and unknown to us, the name of the winery had been changed. We thought we were lost, drove down a winery dirt road, past a buzzard eating a rabbit, past an older couple walking. We turned around and stopped the couple and to our surprise it was Mr. and Mrs. Coppola. They were very friendly and pointed us in the right direction, as we were on the estate itself, just a block away. We arrived at the winery and not expecting much we began the tour ($25 per person, that needs to be lowered, considering the extremely high competition in the area). The tour was pleasent and informative, but not worth the tour fee. The Museum was great, but small. We're long time fans of Mr. Coppola's wine and movies and this was an added treat for us. He's got a Tucker on display! Tthere are numerous other movie prop items from The Godfather, Dracula, Apocalypse now, etc. That was worth the eight hour drive alone. We left with some wine and cigars, and a memory that will last for a long time. The only thing that we ourselves failed to do was obtain Mr. Coppola's autograph, that would have been the greatest! Would I recommend the winery, yes, and I have.
Hector Alvarez
[--]

3 Thank Uncus
UK
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“What a shame....”
Reviewed April 8, 2009

Rubicon could be amazing, but sadly it isn't. The winery itself is beautiful and tasteful, but inside it becomes dangerously Las Vegas. The public areas have a strange film set feel to them with this bizarre sycophantic museum in honour of the 'dear leader'. Finding any reference to wine is a struggle. The gift shop looks like a 5th Avenue boutique.

We took the 'Legacy Tour' which also seemed to be a monologue about how the Coppola family had 'saved' the vineyard. Our tour guide sounded like she had been practicing her lines in front of a mirror, and came dangerously close to suggesting that the Bordelais couldn't make decent wine because their grapes didn't ripen. We didn't get to see any of the caves or wine making facilities. Don't expect to learn anything about wine here.

So why is this a shame. Well, I have to confess that I thought the wines were very good, and therefore felt that the experience was an opportunity missed. A visit to Rubicon should be a great experience - terrific wine in a terrific winery. Instead this is not a visit for a wine lover. If you want passion or great wine, try Pride Mountain Vineyards or Robert Sinskey.

1 Thank invinoveritasUK