“Lovely experience, great wine!”
Review of Inglenook

Inglenook
Ranked #3 of 26 things to do in Rutherford
More attraction details
Owner description: The Inglenook legacy began in 1879 when Gustave Niebaum, a Finnish sea captain, wine connoisseur and entrepreneur, came to Rutherford to build a wine estate that would rival Europe's finest. When Niebaum's grandnephew, John Daniel, Jr. inherited the chateau and vineyards in the 1930s, Inglenook had already earned international acclaim. Francis and Eleanor Coppola purchased the property in 1975 and have spent forty years reuniting the original vineyards, returning winemaking operations to the chateau, and restoring Inglenook's illustrious heritage with the help of renowned wine consultant Stephane Derenoncourt and Managing Director and Winemaker Philippe Bascaules. In honor of this estate and its historical significance, we have restored the name, Inglenook.
Reviewed August 22, 2009

This is the most beautiful vineyard I have been to in my 6 trips to Napa. We also had wonderful wine and a great tour to learn the history of one of the oldest vineyards in Napa. I usually hate tours, but this was great. The staff was incredibly sweet and knowledgeable. Go, you won't regret it.

2  Thank LisaHBoston
"tasting experience"
in 16 reviews
"private room"

Reviewed August 19, 2009

I drove with my ex-wife and our daughter for a family vacation to the Napa area. Our purpose was to see Niebau-Coppola Winery. Not familiar with the area and unknown to us, the name of the winery had been changed. We thought we were lost, drove down a winery dirt road, past a buzzard eating a rabbit, past an older couple walking. We turned around and stopped the couple and to our surprise it was Mr. and Mrs. Coppola. They were very friendly and pointed us in the right direction, as we were on the estate itself, just a block away. We arrived at the winery and not expecting much we began the tour ($25 per person, that needs to be lowered, considering the extremely high competition in the area). The tour was pleasent and informative, but not worth the tour fee. The Museum was great, but small. We're long time fans of Mr. Coppola's wine and movies and this was an added treat for us. He's got a Tucker on display! Tthere are numerous other movie prop items from The Godfather, Dracula, Apocalypse now, etc. That was worth the eight hour drive alone. We left with some wine and cigars, and a memory that will last for a long time. The only thing that we ourselves failed to do was obtain Mr. Coppola's autograph, that would have been the greatest! Would I recommend the winery, yes, and I have.
Hector Alvarez
[--]

3  Thank Uncus
Reviewed April 8, 2009

Rubicon could be amazing, but sadly it isn't. The winery itself is beautiful and tasteful, but inside it becomes dangerously Las Vegas. The public areas have a strange film set feel to them with this bizarre sycophantic museum in honour of the 'dear leader'. Finding any reference to wine is a struggle. The gift shop looks like a 5th Avenue boutique.

We took the 'Legacy Tour' which also seemed to be a monologue about how the Coppola family had 'saved' the vineyard. Our tour guide sounded like she had been practicing her lines in front of a mirror, and came dangerously close to suggesting that the Bordelais couldn't make decent wine because their grapes didn't ripen. We didn't get to see any of the caves or wine making facilities. Don't expect to learn anything about wine here.

So why is this a shame. Well, I have to confess that I thought the wines were very good, and therefore felt that the experience was an opportunity missed. A visit to Rubicon should be a great experience - terrific wine in a terrific winery. Instead this is not a visit for a wine lover. If you want passion or great wine, try Pride Mountain Vineyards or Robert Sinskey.

1  Thank invinoveritasUK
Reviewed February 16, 2009

The good: Rubicon has reunited much of the original Inglenook vineyards back with the estate and has torn down that God-awful eyesore of a barrel cellar that Hublein had built in front of the beautiful original building.

The bad: Copolla doesn't make wine as good as John Daniel did.

Rubicon's wines had some possibility to be superb when Andre Tchelistcheff was a consulting winemaker, but have never lived up to their potential. They just aren't all that good--especially when compared to several of their neighbors who offer as much if not more history, better quality, and much lower tasting fees. Unfortunately their tour doesn't really tell the whole story of the original owners impact on the Valley. Of course they don't want to send their guests to the far superior competition that are the other half of the tale. (Napanook, Dominus, and Lail)

If you want a wine tasting that is light on overall quality and heavy on Hollywood, go to Rubicon. At $25 per person whether they are tasting or not, Rubicon is far too expensive and not worth the money--unless you are simply interested in Hollywood memorabilia. Valet parking tips add additional expense.

1  Thank lovescabs
See more reviews
Reviewed November 22, 2008

We stopped here on a 3 days girls excursion to Napa and I think this was my favorite winery for a number of reasons. First, I am a bit of a history buff, and this is one of the oldest wineries in CA. There's a beautiful story that goes along with it and explained a lot about why I always thought of Inglenook as a cheap wine, when it actually used to be a very high end wine.

The winery has moved all of the Coppola stuff up North, so it's now less crowded and more about wine making. The grounds are beautiful. We had a great tour guide who told us a lot about the environs and was entertaining. I liked the fact that these vines are 80-100years old or more, in some cases. Many CA vineyards are so young as to not have much history. THe wines were solid. My favorite was $150/bottle, so I didn't end up purchasing it, but it was a lovely experience.

Enjoy!