“Gracious, relaxing, and the food was delicious!”

Auberge du Soleil Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Auberge du Soleil Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Rutherford
Cuisines: American, Mediterranean
Good for: Scenic view, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: One of the first great Wine Country establishments, the Michelin rated Restaurant at Auberge du Soleil pays tribute to its legacy with an award-winning menu and wine list. Executive Chef Robert Curry’s inspired cuisine reflects the natural diversity and rich ingredients of California’s Napa Valley and draws from regional produce, accented with Mediterranean flavors. Wine Director Kris Margerum’s wine list, the largest and most extensive in the valley, showcases the very best from neighboring vineyards.
Philadelphia
“Gracious, relaxing, and the food was delicious!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My plane from the East Coast was two hours late, and the line at the car rental facility at SFO, along with the traffic from there to the Napa Valley, delayed me another two hours. But a phone call to Auberge du Soleil, where I'd reserved a table for one, prompted understanding and reassurance: my reservation would be honored as long as the kitchen was open. And I remain grateful and happy that it was! Service continued in the same gracious manner as the reception to my frantic phone call. The waiter was local and knowledgeable, and extremely attentive but not intrusive in the slightest. Having grown up within meters of the restaurant, he knew the precise spot where my delicious heirloom tomatoes originated, but it was the extra crunch in the dressing that set them apart even more. The squab was well-prepared and delicious, and the chocolate dessert with fruity olive oil was a palate-expander and eye-opener. Wine suggestions were superb, and the selection included some premium local finds that I would never have known about had the waiter not clued me in. This was a memorable dinner accompanied by a peaceful and soothingly spectacular view at twilight from the terrace. Lovely.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank PhillyItinerant

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Korean first
San Diego CA
“Sometimes It Happens: Food Poisoning”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We had a wonderful patio table at 8:15 PM on a balmy summer evening. There was a great view of the surrounding valley, but it was dark, so we couldnt see much. My wife ordered the Chef' special, a six course dinner. I ordered a standard 3 course because I figured that she could never finish hers alone. Her courses included a raw fish, sweetbreads, scallops, suckling pig, essentially a baby pigeon (served essentially rare/raw) and a desert. We did not do the wine pairings as we had stopped at three wineries much earlier in the day. My meal was a Halibut, a steak and a desert.

All went okay as my wife tried all of these new foods. About three hours later, she was feeling insanely sick and she threw up our $300 dinner. I am not sure which course got her, but it was a clear case of food poisoning, the onslaught was about three hours post dinner. Once purged, she was fine. I guess that the good news is that she didn't gain any weight from the dinner; the bad news is that it cost me $300+ for her to get as sick as a pigeon or a suckling pig.

I do not expect that at such a highly rated, and expensive restaurant.....and no, it wasn't from anything else, she was fine all day before; did not over wine taste, and she returned to normal right after the purge. She reported that she did not remember feeling so ill from a meal in a very long time.

The restaurant is incorporated into a hotel. There were crying kids and other noisy ones with rooms and patios right above and below the restaurant terrace. That has capacity for a mood killer.

By the way, they have 'free' valet. When we emerged from our dinner after a 7:45 PM seating, the valet guy had left and we stood out front for 15 minutes until the security guard came back and just handed us our keys. Question for Management....Why does the valet leave when everyone left in the restaurant can't get their keys?

3 Thank nadojeff
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Ageless and Priceless”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My last visit here was a life time ago. That experience had been out of this world too, so it was with some intrepidation we made a reservation. It was my birthday with my best friends and special. From the moment we arrived the staff, from valet to head waiter and sommelier made us feel as if we were home. We were placed front and centre on the deck with Ruherford spread out below us. They helped us through the intimidating wine list at prices that we didn't have to call our bank mangers! Unfortunately this all happened in June and I am only writing about it now.I review a restaurant faster after a bad visit rather than a good one mea culpa. So I can't remember the food or wine choices (ps. I now have a Vivino app on my I phone, so I won't forget the wine next time). If you are in Napa do not pass the Auberge up!

• Visited June 2013
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Absolutely As Advertised...And Then Some!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

Highly-rated restaurants often don't equal the hype, especially on this level, but after two visits I can report that the food here equals the stunning views of Napa Valley. My two dining partners and I had different appetizers (pork belly, oysters and heirloom tomatoes), different entrees (hopper shrimp in heirloom tomato risotto, short ribs and a lobster/veal sandwich) and of course wines. All were sublime. The sandwich was, as our server Julia smilingly warned, "decadent," and indeed it was with veal that had been pounded and pan-seared without flour and served with poached lobster between slices of brioche that melted in your mouth. Last time I visited, the famously extensive wine list (largest in the valley) was a tome, but it's now on an easily scrolled tablet. The service was attentive but never intrusive, and Julia was extremely knowledgeable about food, wines and more. When we asked for information on specific wineries, she made a map and personal recommendations, and when we mentioned we were celebrating a wedding, our dessert arrived with "congratulations" written in chocolate. Chef Robert Curry makes inspired usage of California Wine Country's staggering bounty with ingredients so fresh they might have been picked that morning. Certainly Auberge du Soileil can be expensive, but I never mind paying extra for a venue that succeeds so splendidly in all departments. There wasn't a misstep anywhere.

1 Thank Michael L
Edmond, Oklahoma
“Stop in for just a drink or cocktail!”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Visiting Napa recently, we had heard of the Auberge hotel and wanted to check it out first-hand. The hotel was out of price-range, but we stopped in the restaurant for a drink and the VIEW of the valley below. The wine and drinks were reasonable and we had a great seating on the patio where the view was spectacular. If you like reds, I highly recommend the Auberge house wine made from the grapes below the hotel. It was outstanding and good enough that I purchased a couple of bottle to take home for friends. I recommend taking a break and checking out the hotel.