“Tne combination of art and wine ....”
Review of HALL Rutherford

HALL Rutherford
Ranked #13 of 26 things to do in Rutherford
More attraction details
Owner description: HALL Rutherford offers guests a truly world-class winery experience to include a tasting of HALL’s most regaled wines along with an intimate tour through the property and caves. The winery’s 14,000 square feet of caves were designed and built by hand by Friedrich Gruber of Gutenstein Austria. The caves are finished with handmade Austrian brick recovered from sites in and around Vienna and showcases select works from the Halls’ art collection. Deep inside the caves resides a dazzling reception area for private tastings and entertaining. The room’s spectacular chandelier, designed by Donald Lipski and Jonquil LeMaster, is dressed in hundreds of Swarovski crystals.
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great winery which is also set up with some amazing art installations, paintings and sculptures. Kathryn and Craig Hall who own the place are serious art lovers and like to promote new talent. She was the US Ambassador in Austria and they have a great affinity to the country. The ceiling in the wine cave is all made with bricks which were brought over from Austria by Austrian craftsmen who then stayed on to build the place. At the end of the cave is the tasting room which has in it the most stunning chandelier I have ever seen. It is made from a tree root and has these tiny little lights running inside the root which shine on the 1500 Austrian crystals that hang from it - WOW. We had a wonderful afternoon. Our favourite was the 2006 Hall Bergfeld St Helena Cab Sav. A more inexpensive but also yummy 2nd choice was the 2006 Napa Valley CS. They certainly weren't mean with the tasting measures ...hic hic. Book a driver !!

Reviewed May 8, 2012

If you like a bold, complex cab then you will not be disappointed in HALL. We did the $40 tasting and tour at HALL Rutherford and it was worth every penny.

They had no problem with us arriving 30 min early. We were greeted with a glass of sauvignon blanc and enjoyed the beautiful views from their balcony before the tour started. Julie, our host, did an excellent job of explaining the artwork that was abundant, family history and their wines. We even got to try an extra wine from their library after we had tried the other phenomenal wines. She also asked us where we would be dining later and offered suggestions.

My first impression of HALL from the reviews was that this place was pretentious but that was not the case at all. They made me feel welcome and the tasting makes you feel like a VIP! Can't wait to go back!

2  Thank Heather J
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I had high hopes for HALL Rutherford from the Yelp reviews and recommendations I received from friends, but my experience with them left me disappointed.

I do have to say that they did a beautiful job with the presentation, and that they do make some fine wines. I had not experienced their wine, and I do have to say that it was great. The presentation was great, I loved the tasting room and the other couple that was with us. It seems like the winery really paid impeccable attention to detail, that is all except for the customer service experience.

When we had completed our wine tasting, we had purchased ~$500 dollars worth of wine and joined their wine club. We spoke to them about shipping options as we would be out of town, and we wanted to either pick it up that day or have it held at the fedex shipping facility. Our guide told us she would take care of everything and that it would be no problem. In addition, to verbal instructions, I wrote down the special instructions as instructed on the order form (where they have an area for special instructions/comments!).

Well to say the least, shipping ended up being a DISASTER! I ended up spending my day off between the end of vacation and a flight for a job interview chasing down my wine shipment In addition to multiple phone calls, I spent 3 hours driving around trying to track down my wine shipment, so it would not be mailed back. When I contacted my guide/contact person, I did not even get an apology from them, I got a "Thank you, we'll look into it". Instead of getting any follow up, I ended up getting a bill for a second shipment (the first of my wine club shipment, that was suppose to start 3 months from now from what we were told). I e-mailed them again regarding the lack of follow up, what we were told in regards to shipment, and my intention to cancel my wine club membership because they could not do the bare minimum of at least apologizing for the inconvenience caused by not just once, but twice messing up my order instructions.

I guess that spending several hundred dollars, cannot even buy you a half hearted apology from HALL Rutherford. Sadly, I had looked forward to opening their wine for special occasions i.e. my first wedding anniversary, our first home together, our first child, etc. and reminiscing about our great time traveling in Sonoma/Napa. This however will not be the case, the wine has sadly been bittered by a staff that clearly showed to me their lack of customer service, and more important basic manners. The Halls seem like great people, I wonder what they think of their customers being treated like this, perhaps I don't matter unless I buy thousands of dollars of wine...

1  Thank pholaphat
HALL_Wines, Marketing Coordinator at HALL Rutherford, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I am so glad that you enjoyed the experience at our winery in Rutherford, the tasting room it is truly inspiring. We are sincerely disappointed by the fulfillment of your order and the follow-up of our team. No matter is too small, and your purchase was gratefully appreciated. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 707-967-2631 or email jzappelli@hallwines.com so I can attend to your order. Let me extend a warm welcome to the winery with our compliments in the future.

Jeff Zappelli, Director of Membership

Reviewed December 3, 2011

Some wine makers just have the touch that turne grapes into liquid gold!! I was blown away buy their professional service and stunning wines.

Reviewed October 12, 2011

Hall make seriously great wines. Greg did a wonderful job touring us around the winery and hosting our tasting. Joined the wine club and bought extra wines to boot!

We don't drink a lot of new world wines, but Hall seriously impresses. If you only have the opportunity to visit one or two wineries in Napa, don't miss Hall!