“Guess we didn't look rich enough”

Rutherford Hill Winery
and up
Private Napa Valley Wineries Day Trip
Ranked #11 of 26 things to do in Rutherford
More attraction details
Owner description: These caves are some of the largest in the valley, and have an underground dining room. Cave Tours, Wine Tasting, Picnic Grounds, Special Event
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were hoping to try some of Rutherford Hill's port wines, because my wife loves dessert wines. However, after a getting stuck in traffic driving up from the Bay Area and then accidentally stopping at Rutherford *Ranch* next door, we managed to get to the tasting room exactly one minute after 5pm. To our astonishment they refused us a tasting, even though they still had about a dozen people at the bar. Yes, we did manage to miss their closing time by a hair, but I'm sure they wouldn't have batted an eye at that if we were wearing designer clothing and jewelry like most of the other patrons in the room.

Guess we didn't look rich enough to even be worth an apology. Sorry Rutherford, but dessert wines are *not* supposed to leave a sour taste in your mouth!

Reviewed December 29, 2012

A very nice location with great views. Staff was very friendly. The picnic area is outstanding and the wine in line with expectation.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is a beautiful site for picnics, with a view that looks out over the vineyards in the valley. There is also an impressive wooden building that houses the small tasting area and gift store, along with much of the winemaking process. However, the tasting experience was a disappointment, with wines that were expensive and not enjoyable. The two kids running the tastings were eager and very friendly but inexperienced. The winery had been recommended because of the view; was not sure why I had never heard of these wines but was left wondering why I couldn't find at least one to like. I would drive up the hill on a nice day to enjoy the view but skip the winery.

2  Thank fred200099
Reviewed November 11, 2012

In the past year the winery cordoned off their best picnic area and charges a $35 fee to use it. But they credit $20 towards a wine purchase or tasting fees. They still have lots of other tables in very nice locations, including in the olive grove if you don't want to pay the money, but it is worth the $15.00. The tables have great views, are clean and set with flowering plants, an attendant cleans up the table later and the tables are just a short walk to the parking and the tasting room. After my initial resistance to this I find myself bringing clients here all the time. A nice solution for picnicing in Napa. Note: They don't provide food and you can only drink their wine. County regulation.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We visited 3 wineries in Napa, this was my favorite. The atmosphere, the beauty was to die for. The staff was wonderful. Very educated, and very educating. The wine was great. Much less stuffy feeling I got from another winery. Maybe because it's one of the smaller ones, but a must visit!