“Excellent Wines! Perfect Relaxed Tour”
Review of Beaulieu Vineyard

Beaulieu Vineyard
Ranked #13 of 26 things to do in Rutherford
More attraction details
Owner description: In 1900, when Georges de Latour's wife, Fernande, first laid eyes on the land that would become their original Rutherford vineyard, she named it "beau lieu," or "beautiful place." Shortly thereafter, de Latour bought the four-acre ranch and founded Beaulieu Vineyard with the vision of making Napa Valley wines that would rival those of his native France. In 1938, he traveled to France and returned with André Tchelistcheff, the famed viticulturist and innovative enologist. Tchelistcheff introduced cold fermentation for white wines, malolactic fermentation for reds and aging red wines in small, French oak barrels. He also insisted that the de Latour family's private Cabernet wine-"Private Reserve"-be bottled and sold as the winery’s flagship offering. The result was the inaugural 1936 vintage of the Georges de Latour Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, a wine that was destined to become Napa Valley's first "cult" Cabernet. Today we continue to innovate to craft wines in our bold, classic style. We have become a leader in clonal research, and our BV Clone Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon wines are highly acclaimed. Most recently we completed a new state-of-the-art winery within one of our original buildings. The Georges de Latour Private Reserve Winery utilizes the latest technology in combination with time-honored traditions for the production of this exceptional, wine-the longtime benchmark of Rutherford Cabernet.
Reviewed January 26, 2013

This was the winery that I was looking forward to the most when my wife and I visited for our anniversary. The BV Rutherford is my favorite everyday drinking wine. So because of that, I made it so It would be my first stop on the second day with no real set schedule in place so I could just enjoy it.

We did go on the wine tour and our tour guide was excellent. He was very knowledgeable about the wine and made the tour very relaxed. Like other reviewers have said the tasting in the different oak barrels is really cool. We had a very small group on the wine tour and it went well over an hour so that was nice.

After the tour we went to the reserve tasting room and all of the wines were unbelievable. Like I said BV Rutherford is my favorite wine but the Georges De Latour and the Clone wines were amazing. I just wish I had the money to buy a bunch of them! The server was super nice and friendly.

I guess the only thing that took me by surprise was that there isn't much to look at here. It's just a building with no vineyards on site that I could see. So it may not be the most prettiest or the best place to take a lot of photos.

Overall awesome place with awesome wines and employees. Can't wait to go back again one day...

1  Thank starsaber25

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Very nice wines - we payed the upgrade for the reserve tasting. The wines were very good and exceeded our expectations.

1  Thank Love2Travel26x2
Reviewed November 28, 2012

Lovely winery with guided tour option. Guide was extremely knowlegeable however it seemed as though he held back on providing the most informative tour in terms of the wine process, what makes their vinard unique etc. The tasting at the end made up for it with a beautiful comparision of their cab from american vs. french oak barrels. For $20 was worth the stop. Went back for purchase and tasting and the guide was very helpful in sampling various grapes, vintages. Nice.

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Upon being greeted @ the door by Maris, we were escorted to the tasting area, where we enjoyed a variety of reasonably priced selections. We knew this was special & signed up for the wine club. We were then directed to the lower level area where Scott treated us to some of the most amazing reds we have tried!! The Clone 6, & Tapestry selections were incredible!! Both Scott & Maris were a wealth of knowledge, professional, & truly knew their product. One could tell that they truly enjoy what they do.
We would not hesitate to recommend BV to all our friends visiting Napa. Thank you for an extraordinary experience.

1  Thank Lisa Marie F
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We did not do the tasting at this winery since the tour was $20 each! That being said, we did get a complementary tasting of sauvignon blanc on arrival and a barrel tasting of wine in french vs. american oak barrels. Also, our tour lasted a full hour and a half, and was very informative - with information not learned on previous tours at other wineries - so I give it an acceptable value for the $.

1  Thank edtejt