“Uppity and rude--keep driving past this place!”
Review of Beaulieu Vineyard

Beaulieu Vineyard
Ranked #15 of 24 things to do in Rutherford
More attraction details
Owner description: In 1900, when Georges de Latour's wife, Fernande, first laid eyes on the land that would become their original Rutherford vineyard, she named it "beau lieu," or "beautiful place." Shortly thereafter, de Latour bought the four-acre ranch and founded Beaulieu Vineyard with the vision of making Napa Valley wines that would rival those of his native France. In 1938, he traveled to France and returned with André Tchelistcheff, the famed viticulturist and innovative enologist. Tchelistcheff introduced cold fermentation for white wines, malolactic fermentation for reds and aging red wines in small, French oak barrels. He also insisted that the de Latour family's private Cabernet wine-"Private Reserve"-be bottled and sold as the winery’s flagship offering. The result was the inaugural 1936 vintage of the Georges de Latour Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon, a wine that was destined to become Napa Valley's first "cult" Cabernet. Today we continue to innovate to craft wines in our bold, classic style. We have become a leader in clonal research, and our BV Clone Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon wines are highly acclaimed. Most recently we completed a new state-of-the-art winery within one of our original buildings. The Georges de Latour Private Reserve Winery utilizes the latest technology in combination with time-honored traditions for the production of this exceptional, wine-the longtime benchmark of Rutherford Cabernet.
Reviewed March 14, 2012

During our most recent trip to Sonoma and Napa Valley, we swung by the BV winery because my mom really likes BV wine. Since I was the driver, I didn't want to drink at all and my sister doesn't drink wine, my mom was reluctant to do the tasting. Once we got to the main tasting room, we were offered a sample of wine and that was the end of the graciousness of the winery employees. We trekked through some treacherous roads to get to the winery from Sonoma and insisted that my mom get wine to make our trip worthwhile. No one offered to explain the wine or even acknowledge us just because we didn't want to do a full tasting. The kicker was the curmudgeon of a lady who was bad mouthing a fellow co-worker aloud and being extremely condescending to my mom when she asked a simple question about one of the wine shipping sleeves. Never again!

Date of experience: March 2012
in 4 reviews
"my favorite"
"favorite wine"

Reviewed February 20, 2012

A really lively and fun place to taste wine, especially when you're waiting for a table at Rutherford Grill. Pourers are very nice and generous with portions and tastings.

Date of experience: February 2012
Reviewed January 25, 2012

I always loved this wine and I was not disappointed by visiting it in person. Tasting fees are $15 and up. We are used to tasting in the central coast were few wineries have fees for tasting. Most wines see to be pouring the recommended amount of wine. If you go to other wineries, the host/hostess will often pour much more than the number of samples, or pour generously, this is not that type of place. Peter was our host and he was excellent. Don't miss a taste of the Port with home made chocolate sauce.

Date of experience: October 2011
1  Thank Greyhound661
Reviewed January 13, 2012

Beautiful wine store. They still had their Christmas decorations up and it was beautiful. The store was very spacious and the ladies there were gracious and friendly.

Date of experience: December 2011
See more reviews
Reviewed January 11, 2012

Not much to say about this winery except that the tasting room is very nice and well decorated. But, the wine is very commercial, generally very young with a lot of tannin bite. To be honest, if our hotel wouldn't have given us a comp tasting pass, then we would probably have passed on this winery. But, we were curious if things had improved, and were disappointed.

Visited this winery years ago, and this time around my wife and I had the same impression. You just can't compare this wine to the likes of Arrowood, Gundlach-Bundschu, Jessup Cellars, St. Francis, Rombauer, and on and on. There are too many great wineries in Napa and Sonoma to lay my money out for this company's wine.

Actually, the best thing near this winery is the restaurant Rutherford Grill located across the parking lot. Now that's a must stop for anyone in the area looking for a great meal.

Date of experience: January 2012