“Big winery Average wine”
Review of Cakebread Cellars

Cakebread Cellars
Ranked #6 of 26 things to do in Rutherford
More attraction details
Owner description: This winery specializes in producing wine to go with particular types of food and sells most of its wines to restaurants throughout the world.
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Impersonal Tour Guides to start your visit is big mistake.

The wines are average at best.

Don't stop. You'll thank me later.

1  Thank Tom B
in 11 reviews
"barrel room"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Cakebread makes some of the most perfect wines out there. At the tasting my friend and I had the chance to try seven different wines the vineyard produces, including the Dancing Bear and Benchland Cabernets. All of the staff was friendly and incredibly enthusiastic to invite everyone in to try the wine. Barbara was our pourer and she was full of information and exuded her passion for wine.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I visited this winery once about 7 years ago and had a great time. I just revisited this place again this weekend when I had some clients in town and wanted to show them around Napa Valley. Everything was superb. We had William as our tour guide and he was very knowledgeable and easy to talk to and ask questions to. I work in the industry and will recommend people to visit Cakebread again.

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I love Cakebread wine, so I was really excited to check out the winery while in Napa. I was sure to call ahead and made the necessary appt for a tasting. Overall, the tasting "tour" through the garden was nothing special. It was outside and you walked from station to station (which were folding tables in various locations on the grounds that were stocked with wine). On the upside, our tour guide was very knowledgeable and pleasant. And at the end of the tour he gave us a quick behind the scenes peak of the holding tanks and the new crushing equipment that recently purchased.

I believe Cakebread offers more in depth tours of the winery at certain times throughout the day - this may be the better way to go at this particular vineyard.

See more reviews
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I LOVE Cakebread wine, so when my friends and my husband and I decided to take a trip to Napa, it was the first place that came to my mind to tour. I was so very excited and hyped the wine to my friends. We arrived to our select tasting about 15 minutes early, but were in no rush. The man at the counter took our money and poured us a sample of wine. It was good and we were excited! It was a bit chilly out but they had portable heaters where we were standing to wait for our tour guide. Since there were 4 of us and the website says that the tour is for 6 people max we figured we would be pair up with another couple, WRONG!! They pair us with a large bachlorette party (I think there were 7 or 8 girls) who were obviously already 3 sheets to the wind when they arrived and who had no interest in learning about the wines. Anyway, Our group had 10+ people in it. The entire tour was ruined by the misbehaving women in the group. They interrupted our host over and over, they made him focus more on their partying and "OMG I need too pee, where's the restroom" than on our tasting, and it made our tour miserable. Our host should have offered to allow us to tour either privately (he know we were annoyed by them), to join another less drunk group or at the very least asked the women to please be courteous to us. It was so annoying that I can barely even remember what wines we had or how they tasted because it was so difficult to focus. As far as the winery goes: The grounds are okay, nothing fancy. There is no "tasting room" it is a walking tasting and tour through the winery, processing areas. There is no place to sit and relax or to sample more wines if you wanted to be sure of what you are buying. Our tour guide, an older gentleman, was mediocre at best. We came to cakebread with the intent of joining their wine club and hopefully encouraging our friends to do the same. Instead we left empty handed, feeling incredibly disappointed and embarrassed that we had suggested this place to our friends.

We are a group of two couples ages 30's-40's who love to party, but this was over the top annoying and a waste of money. Worst tour/tasting we took in Napa!

2  Thank Jen G