“did not live up to expectations”
Review of Cakebread Cellars

Cakebread Cellars
Ranked #3 of 26 things to do in Rutherford
More attraction details
Owner description: This winery specializes in producing wine to go with particular types of food and sells most of its wines to restaurants throughout the world.
Baltimore, MD
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“did not live up to expectations”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Everyone knows Cakebread makes good wines. Unfortunately, it felt like Cakebread new a little too well that they made great wines...

You have to make an appointment here. It is a tour + tasting. You tour the property and stop at different spots to taste. Everything they were pouring was pretty young that day. They definitely aren't into giving extras and the second they greeted us they wanted our payment (the woman even gave me a hard time for not mentioning that I had a buy one get on when I made my reservation...this is Napa lady, everything is buy one get one or free in some newspaper or app or card from your innkeeper).

You can't picnic here, and it didn't feel welcoming like you can sit around with a bottle that you purchase and drink the afternoon away.

San Diego
114 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 322 helpful votes
“Great experience”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

We chose to visit this winery on a recent Napa trip as it is one of our favorite wines.
You need to make a reservation for tasting, which I think is a good idea for keeping
things intimate and personal for a small group. We were in one of the cool barrel rooms
which was quite nice in escaping the warm outside weather. The taste selection was varied
so that you got a good cross section of what they offer. This is not a fancy winery, but tastefully done. We would visit again.

31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Be a wine club member!”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

Writing this review reminds me that I need to join and become a wine club member. Good friends invited us to an event hosted by Cakebread Cellars in January and it was indeed such a fun place. Maybe it was the company, but we had such a blast. The event was to introduce their new wine for the season... in all we tried about six different types of wine.(maybe it was more).. white and and red...from chardonnay to syrah... the best part was the food they have with the wine pairings. I don't even like lamb, but this was the best lamb chops I have ever had. It did not have that gamey taste at all. Apparently Cakebread have an on-site chef! I We loved going from station to station, sampling the wine with the food pairing. Its also a fun way to meet people. You just can't help talking to the person next to you about the wine, food or where it would be great to take a picture with your bottle of Cakebread .... some have a bottle on top of a ski slope, some rafting, others under or on top of the eiffel tower tower or on top of the Great Wall...

Visited January 2012
Brielle, New Jersey
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“More Relaxed Than I Expected”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

For some reason, probably because at home it's one of those pricier wines, I was expecting Cakebread's tasting experience to be "stuffy". Well, from the moment I got out of my rental car, my experience at Cakebread wasn't anything but super pleasant. All the Cakebread employees were really nice and super helpful in getting my purchase (not only Cakebread's wines but others) delivered home.

The tour was nice but, for me, nothing spectacular. I purchased a couple of bottles of wine I can't find at my local shop and look to open them on a special occasion.

What did annoy me, and it has nothing to do with Cakebread, were the people on the tour using their cell phones. People...where the frick are your manners?

Vacaville, California
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“One of the best”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

Some of the top white wines produced in the Napa Valley can be found here...small winery but terrific wine!