“Loved it, though wished the pool weren't under construction”
Review of Auberge du Soleil

Auberge du Soleil
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rutherford
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 14, 2007

We had eaten at the restaurant, which we loved, but never stayed at the hotel. We decided to do so after a stressful move, and it was the absolute antidote! We enjoyed our room, loved the room service breakfast one morning and the restaurant breakfast another. The spa was great, and we only wished we had allowed for more time at the spa. We were sorry about the pool construction, but that's the way it is.

We'll be back.

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank Brauna

Reviewed April 1, 2007

Auberge is the most wonderful place we have ever stayed and we have stayed in a bunch of very top notch places. When we arrived, we were greeted and ushered to the reception area --- we had reserved an Upper Valley View King Room --- and were told we had been upgraded to an Upper Valley View King Suite!!! What a treat! When we got to our suite we were just blown away by the beauty of it. Auberge had thought of EVERYTHING -- even having wine, cheese, crackers and fruit on a tray waiting for us in the suite. Not to mention a fully stocked Butler's Pantry -- with a nepresso coffee maker and selection of coffees, tea pot and teas, a subzero refrigerator stocked with waters, juices, soft drinks, dip, crackers, pretzels, chocolate, local beer. A fireplace with firelogs ready to be lit. A bath with wonderful lotion, shampoo and conditioner, gel, and Dr. Hauschka bath oils, haridryer, robes, slippers, umbrellas, lint brush. A wonderful entertainment system with music that could be turned on in every room, including outside area, 3 tvs, and a number a great cds and books.

We could not have asked for more!

We enjoyed breakfast in our room each morning -- it was pleasantly delivered along with the newspaper very prmoptly at the requested time, along with anything else you had asked be brought as well. The room service was EXCELLENT.

We also enjoyed a couple's massage in the Melisse Suite -- we have a lot of massages and this was by far the best either of us had ever had. The locker rooms are also very nice and well appointed. The different pools at the spa are beautiful and the atmosphere/view is total relaxation.

The Restauarant at Auberge was also outstanding -- we enjoyed a very romantic, extremely delicious meal with tasting menu paired with wines -- it was too much food to eat all of every course (not skimpy like some tasting menus), but we tried to eat as much of it as we could --- it was worth saving room for dessert which was some of the best we have ever had as well.

I can't say enough about Auberge --- It was worth the money and we would go back again and again. Next time we will plan to have even more "down time" to enjoy the resort to the fullest extent. It was wonderful to have such a prefect place to get away and enjoy Napa Valley.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
9  Thank RedCharleston
Reviewed March 24, 2007

My wife and I spent two nights at Auberge and had a wonderful time. This is one of the nicest places we have ever stayed. The bed, shower, tub, fireplace, deck, food, and service are all top notch.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Kansastravelers4
Reviewed March 13, 2007

Over-rated, overpriced. We stayed in the Versaille building last weekend. Seriously flawed -- sure it was pretty and clean and had nice amenities... but the noise was wicked. I heard every footstep and drawer opening and door closing in the rooms around me! The stereo and TV couldn't cover the vibrations. An afternoon nap was out of the question. Even while showering I heard my neighbors' footsteps as if they were in my room. VERY disconcerting. I don't like paying this much for such poor quality. My complaints to the desk got me nothing -- not another room, not a white noise machine, no compensation.

Stayed: March 2007
13  Thank GoneGaga
Reviewed February 2, 2007

I have stayed here twice now (once three months ago and once 8 years ago) and wow, it still is as great as it was the first time. I plan on going back again. Quiet (can't hear any neighbors or noise and so peaceful) Clean (beautifully kept rooms - more of a house actually with ALL the amenities!) and so many free extras like a fridge full of yummy healthy snacks in the full beautiful kitchen. Exquisite views. Friendly staff, Comfy beds. Gorgeous bathrooms. Fireplace to DIE for... I will be back and probably won't ever find another hotel that compares to this one. I admit I'm picky but haven't found ONE fault with this perfect paradise!

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Brainy_Babe
Reviewed November 24, 2006

We had a small corporate outing at Auberge in August, and I have been remiss in writing my review. The facilities are wonderful, and I would be thrilled to go back on someone else's dime again:), but I have to say that I found the service to be unacceptable for that price point ($800/nt). The front desk in particular was pretty bad - not quite rude, but far from friendly or helpful. My room wasn't ready when I arrived (after check-in time) and there was no apology. And yet when I asked for a late check out, I was denied - again no apology. I tried calling the front desk before my arrival to check on a couple things, and I was put on hold for 4mins and then they said they couldnt give me any information about my room - they hadn't determined where I would be (this was at 2pm on my arrival day). On none of these occasions were they at all friendly.
It just didnt sit right with me - other resorts of this calibre (Casa Palmero at Pebble Beach, Las Ventanas in Cabo) treat guests MUCH better - they would NEVER say they couldn't provide information on a room or not have a room ready without acknowledging a problem and trying to make amends.
I doubt I would splurge here - think you can do better for the money.
Room was wonderful though - as you would expect - bathtub was to die for...
Spa was gorgeous (most beautiful inifinity pools with views of vineyards), though the massage was mediocre.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled on business
20  Thank eh555
Reviewed November 4, 2006

Auberge is the quintessential Napa valley resort and the best place to stay in the area. We really enjoy staying here and will continue to stay there when we visit Napa.

We stayed at Auberge for several days in April of 2005 during a wine tasting trip and then again last month in connection with a party we had at Kuleto's winery (which I highly recommend).

The rooms are luxurious and the service is generally good - but not overly impressive (i.e. the coffee machines in both of our friends' rooms broke and no one ever showed up to fix or replace them).

The large bathtubs in the bathrooms are great and I really enjoy the fireplace (which most rooms have) as it gets cool in the evenings and it makes the room very cozy and romantic.

Avoid the main house rooms at all cost - some of our family members stayed there and it is like staying at the Hilton. However, all of the other rooms and suites that we stayed in and saw were lovely.

The gym is nice and spa services were good.

I didn't care for either meal that we had at the main restaurant and would recommend going to other restaurants in the area ( French Laundry is always a treat but there are a lot of other fab places in the area).

Having a wonderful driver who knows the small wineries where you get more for your money and often get to meet the wine makers themselves made all of the difference to our trip. I cannot recommend Larry (Your driver in Napa) highly enough.

Hope this is helpful.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
7  Thank himaintenanc
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rutherford
Bardessono
Villagio Inn and Spa
Villagio Inn and Spa
#5 of 6 in Yountville
Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort

Been to Auberge du Soleil? Share your experiences!