“Auberge du Soleil - beautiful but some flaws for the price”
Review of Auberge du Soleil

Auberge du Soleil
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rutherford
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 12, 2008

My wife and I stayed at Auberge du Soleil for a long weekend for my 40th birthday. We booked a valley-view suite through AmEx platinum travel service. The hotel and grounds are beautiful, and the hotel is ideally located for exploring wineries in Oakville and northern Napa Valley. The room was excellent, with working fireplace, deep soaking tub, and nice terrace. The pool was also great, as were the hot tubs at the main pool and at the spa. However, given the room rates, we expected the service to be better than it was. Examples: 1) I sent several detailed requests to the concierge to arrange winery tours and tastings and was told that a couple of the wineries that I requested were not available, but in contacting the wineries directly I was able to make appointments; 2) my wife and I asked two different staff the name of an interesting plant and was told by both that they would find out - neither did, and I had to go to the desk to find out; 3) we were running late to dinner one evening and asked the front desk to call the restaurant to advise them - they did not, and we ended up waiting 30 minutes for a table at the restaurant; 4) I left my iPod in the room, and we called the hotel to ask them to mail it back to New York for us - they did but charged the $5 postage to my credit card! All told, these are nitpicks that are not major issues, but these type of details are what makes the difference between my perception that $800 per night for a hotel is worthwhile and my perception that the hotel is somewhat overpriced. Would I stay again? I probably would for another very special occasion, just because it is the best hotel in Napa valley. For my next long weekend in Napa, I'll likely stay elsewhere.

4  Thank essexnyc

Reviewed November 15, 2008

We stayed on the culinary package - expensive and not sure it is the most economic approch. Anyway, apart from the persistent rain our stay was extremely relaxing and very pleasant. Good service started from before we arrived with the extremely helpful concierge taking a great deal of time to organise our trips to two of the best vineyards in the area - Beringer and Frogs Leap. The former in particular was excellent as we were treated to a tasting in the private reserve room and a wine tutorial. Dean was a great teacher, the wine was excellent and undoubtedly result of hotel being 'in the know'. Hotel itself is very cosy - villas are large and very well equipped. Bathrooms are large and very nicely done. Nice terrace that was too wet for us to enjoy but very nice in the sun I would imagine. Views are wonderful - again, spoiled a little by the rain, and the grounds of the hotel are particularly well laid out and nice to wander round. Food was very good - contrary to some reviews I've read. Dinner was excellent, wine good and breakfast was close to best I've had. Seriously expensive place but such a nice experience - in the sun I can't imagine many places nicer to be. Compares very well with other 'luxury' hotels.

Reviewed October 23, 2008

In my opinion the test of a good hotel is not necessarily one where nothing goes wrong - but how one deals with things if something does go wrong.

In our case, there was a bit of a mix up over our dinner reservations whilst we were staying there, which really annoyed me. However, once our concerns were made known to the hotel management it was immediately taken care off and for the rest of our stay the staff really went the extra mile to ensure that we were especially well looked after.

The service around the pool was first class. We ate in the restaurant both nights and we also found the food and service there to be excellent.

I only have 2 niggles that I would mention. firstly, we went to the hotel (as I am sure many others do) as it markets itself as being a tranquil and peaceful (child-free) hotel. the hotel is, however, a very popular wedding venue (understandably). The staff do try to ensure that the weddings don't intrude on the otherwise calm ambience, but this is not an easy balance to achieve.

Secondly - although our upper valley room was perfectly ok, it did not scream "luxury".

However, we did enjoy our stay there as the service and food throughout were of an excellent standard.

2  Thank dee090
Reviewed September 28, 2008

Just spent 4 days at Auberge for my 40th bday.

What a great resort.

The service is first rate in all aspects. The front desk quickly learns your name and circulates it amongst the staff. You are made to feel very special during your stay.

Pool is very nice, with complimentary bottled water, and a great view of the vineyards below.

Hotel bar has one of the best burgers in town.

Rooms are very spacious, with great welcome kits, complimentary stocked frige,and a bag of chocolates.

A beautiful tennis court covered in grape vines, with bottled water and cold towels offers a nice break.

The spa is very relaxing, high touch,and offers wonderful service.

The concierge hooked up with some great vineyards. They have very good connections and got us in to see some of Napa's most renowned wine makers.

If you are looking for a special get away, this is the place. Nothing comes cheap, but you will never want to leave.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MJS10
Reviewed August 31, 2008

Recently returned from an extremely enjoyable stay at the Auberge du Soleil. The hotel is screamingly expensive, especially for the Upper Valley suite in which we stayed, but at no point did we feel we received poor value for money. The rooms are great, the staff is friendly and the food, both at breakfast and dinner, was also excellent. Niggles are few: the pool area can become a little cramped when busy and could do with more staff, the gym equipment needs to be upgraded and the full payment taken at the time of booking with a 14 day cancellation policy is needlessly mean.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2008

Every detail of this resort was incredible. The view from our Valley View suite was amazing. The room itself was gigantic! Our own private patio, seperate sleeping and den, stocked fridge/wine cooler in the kitchen. The food at the restaurant and bar was very very good! The staff was extrememly helpful and treated us like we owned the place. The price was high but they spoile dus in every way possible. The pool, fitness center, steam room.. All grade A! I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2008

Auberge du Soleil is a heavenly retreat. My husband and I have stayed at Auberge on three different occasions. We adore the privacy, the views, the service and the newly remodeled pool area. It is a real splurge and people should expect a lot for their money. Unfortunately, the level of service through the Concierge desk has deteriorated greatly over the years. As in the past, I left our dinner reservations to the Concierge department. Without fail, every reservation was botched. We arrived at Redd to find our table had been given away. The Concierge desk made our reservation for 6:45 but gave us written confirmation of a 7pm reservation. They double booked us at the French Laundry and Ad Hoc for the same night. They consequently re-booked us, but ended up scheduling us for Ad Hoc brunch and dinner on the same day. I highly recommend Auberge, but have no confidence in their Concierge. Book your own dinner!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fansynancy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rutherford
Bardessono
Vintage House
#5 of 6 in Yountville
Harvest Inn by Charlie Palmer
Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort

Been to Auberge du Soleil? Share your experiences!