Auberge du Soleil
Harvest Inn(St. Helena)
$409
$359
Orbitz.com
El Bonita Motel(St. Helena)(Great Value!)
$196
Travelocity
Southbridge Napa Valley(St. Helena)(Great Value!)
$365
Hotel St. Helena(St. Helena)
$199
$410
Vintage House(Yountville)
$545
Official Website
All reviewsoverlooking the valleynapa valleysculpture gardenhalibutmichelin starmain restaurantfour seasonsfrench laundrywine countryglass of winecalistoga ranchromantic getawaybeautiful propertysilverado trailmercedessuitespa
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 16, 2008

Auberge du Soleil is a heavenly retreat. My husband and I have stayed at Auberge on three different occasions. We adore the privacy, the views, the service and the newly remodeled pool area. It is a real splurge and people should expect a lot for their money. Unfortunately, the level of service through the Concierge desk has deteriorated greatly over the years. As in the past, I left our dinner reservations to the Concierge department. Without fail, every reservation was botched. We arrived at Redd to find our table had been given away. The Concierge desk made our reservation for 6:45 but gave us written confirmation of a 7pm reservation. They double booked us at the French Laundry and Ad Hoc for the same night. They consequently re-booked us, but ended up scheduling us for Ad Hoc brunch and dinner on the same day. I highly recommend Auberge, but have no confidence in their Concierge. Book your own dinner!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fansynancy
Reviewed May 12, 2008

Time to move on to a different hotel. Auberge has deteriorated to the level of an over-rated has been. The service is selfish, breakfast sent back for being woefully overcooked and "Resting" sign mean nothing to the housekeeping and bell staff. Too bad, it used to be great. It got to the point where I even asked if the hotel had changed ownership....

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank roadtripCa
Reviewed May 11, 2008

You will need a $300 massage to help straighten out your sore back after a very uncomfortable nights sleep. I stayed 3 years ago and had the most comfortable bed but unfortunately they replaced all beds and box springs with a very hard mattress on a raise hard platform. If you like extreme hardness in your mattress you will be fine but both my husband and I woke up at 6 AM the first night with back aches and the second night I couldn't even sleep.

The new pool area is lovely with great service and food.

The spa is very nice, go early to soak in the warm pool and get a mud bath.

Room service is better than the meal in the formal restaurant althought he restaurant has a beautiful view.

Its' a very busy place in the morning with golf carts buzzing all around and trucks coming up the hill. The resort is beautifully landscaped but it is still over the Silverado trail and you can still here the traffic.

Not worth $1400 per night to get a bad night's sleep. Owners should go to the Wickinninish on Vancouver Island to experience a 5 star resort with comfy beds.

I just finished an 8 day college tour around the east coast and stayed at your run of the mill 3 star hotels, all of them had more comfortable beds. It's a shame, was like staying in Mexico.

Rest of the experience was 5 star for sure. But for our 20th anniversary a comfy bed was high on the list of desirables.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank woodinvilletravels
Reviewed April 14, 2008

My husband and I spent a blissful weekend here to celebrate our 20th anniversary. We had last been to the Auberge 14 years ago. What can I say but I hope to return here again and again! This place is so romantic! The "rooms" are actually little "casitas" that are named after different wine regions. I love the wood floors and ceilings and the fireplaces. You don't feel you are in a hotel room at all. It's a little rustic and very private feeling. The bathrooms are large and full of wonderful products and candles (one minor complaint - the sink faucets lacked aerators so water tended to spray quite a bit) and there are skylights over the tub. A "first aid and intimacy kit" in the medicine cabinet included band-aids and personal lubricant (!). The bed and linens are sooooo comfy. The mini fridge is stocked with champagne, artichoke tapenade, granola bars and lots of other fun stuff and our bellman encouraged us to enjoy them as they are included in the room rate.

We had lunch on the restaurant terrace with terrific wines by the glass to kick off our visit - everything was delicious and beautifully presented. The service was great and the views even better.

The spa is truly fantastic - the "Auberge massage" is possibly the best massage I have every had. More pressure than Swedish, less intense than deep tissue. The soaking pools were inviting and empty when I was there. The swimming pool and surrounding area are beautiful and the views from the deck are breathtaking.

As for service - it couldn't have been better. Solicitous without being fawning and warm without being overly familiar.

As for wineries - go to all your favorites but be sure to stop by Darioush on the Silverado Trail to see the amazing Persian architecture and beautiful tasting room. The wines were also excellent. Merryvale Winery, in St. Helena, also had a great tasting room (check out their private dining room!) and delicious wine with very friendly servers.

We dined at Redd (blah-overrated), Angele (romantic and delicious country French) and Mustards (delicious upscale diner food to die for-try the pulled pork sandwich!). We drove down to the town of Napa one afternoon and had lunch at Pearl - a wonderful, casual spot which had more locals than tourists in it. Great fish tacos, salads, sandwiches. If you have the time, head south to Domaine Carneros (owned by Taittinger) and enjoy some sparkling wine on the terrace.

Yes, the Auberge is expensive but worth a splurge - I'm already saving up for next year!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rouget
Reviewed April 6, 2008

I'd heard so much about Auberge so maybe my expectations were too high.

We paid about $700/night. We stayed at one of the 'lower valley view' rooms.

The room was beautifully decorated and the bathroom was huge. The refrigerator was stocked with snacks and drinks.

BUT the balcony is surrounded by high walls on either side and a pretty high wall/railing so the view was really quite narrow and we didn't spend any time on the balcony as we thought we would.

The service was OK, not amazing. I told the porter to tell my husband who was unloading the car where the room was, and he didn't/forgot.

The concierge doesn't give very good bike route recommendations - he recommended that we ride down the Silverado Trail and then through downtown St. Helena. We were looking more for picturesque ride and the Silverado Trail is basically a freeway with lots of cars and St. Helen is also full of cars and trucks. He should have told us to drive our car w/ our bikes somewhere picturesque and then start biking from there.

The food at the formal restaurant was terrific though and worth the price.

Stayed: March 2008