“Another "Zero" birthday”

GreenLeadersGold level
Arroyo Grande, California
“Another "Zero" birthday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

We have stayed here several times over the last decade. We always have wonderful service, I think the epitome of good guest service. The views are wonderful looking out over the vineyards in the Napa valley. The resort is peaceful mostly because they cater to adults who need a break from the rat race in the city. One of the few places where room service is on the patio outside your room, and great food along with the view on a warm summer evening. Sure, it is expensive, but it is worth the price. We have traveled around the world, and this is still the favorite.

Room Tip: I think nearly all of the rooms overlook the valley, but might be worth assuring that your room will...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Spent the weekend at the Auberge for an anniversary. Very nice luxury hotel in the heart of Napa, if you love great wine and great food, and don't have to ask about the price, this is your place. Mostly older clientel (no one under 16 allowed), and all the 'roooms' are very private. Most of the rooms are in 2 or 4 plexes, more like little luxury appartments. Suites have their own buildings altogether. With the exception of the pool area, we rarely heard or saw other guests. Views are all excellent, up in the hillside above the Silverado Trail overlooking Napa Valley. Restaurant was very good, loved the tasting menu (except that maybe it was a little too much!). Also made use of the spa for massages, very relaxing and quiet spa environment, excellent staff, nice soaking pools. Even if you can't stay here, check out the bistro for excellent tapas and also a great view.

Room Tip: They're all good......
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CAMurphthesurf
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Auberge in August of this year (2012) and firmly agree that it is the best hotel we have ever stayed in. The service is incredible, staff are friendly and knowledgeable and the hotel itself is absolutely beautiful. On arrival we had a congratulations cake and fruit bowl waiting for us- such a lovely touch. We had a meal in the restaurant which was delicious and of course the wine was outstanding. The views from the restaurant are just fantastic. I informed staff I was vegetarian and this was not a problem at all- the options I was offered were incredibly tasty. There is a lovely pool area and staff bring you iced cucumber water and cold eucalyptus face towels- it really is a slice of heaven!
The location of the hotel is great for heading to St Helena, Yountville and onto Napa by car. We visited many wineries within a few miles, never travelling more than 20 minutes.
I highly recommend the Auberge for a special treat- I am hoping to return for an anniversary in the future (maybe 1 year?!!!)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Emma M
Danville, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

I absolutely adore Auberge and why I chose it for my mother's birthday. I booked ahead and let them know it was a very special celebration and when they called to confirm, I also informed them of our food allergies. I was told that everything would be handled well and that we will have a special seat on the patio. What a disappointment!

You would think they would have sat all three of us in a great table where we all had a view. We had one of the worst seats on the patio. It was next to the area where they stored water and silverware and every 5-10 minutes, they would be clanking some silverware. I also sat facing the door with no view, since I wanted my guests to enjoy the amazing view. It was thoughtless.

Our waiter seemed nice enough but I was shocked at how unprepared Rob was about the allergies. I assumed that at a place like Auberge when you tell them ahead of time that the birthday person is lactose intolerant, they would come with some ideas about dessert. But no such luck. He kept telling is what she could not have. It was like all of our allergies were a big joke to them and their special creations.

The whole service apart from Salavdor and Adam, who were great, was the worst I've ever had here. And when we went to talk to the manger, we just got attitude. And we tried to do it away from my mom so she would not be aware of how bad we felt about it all. And when this other guy came to discuss it right at the table, right infront of her, we told them we were fine. We didn't want to make it worse. And I did not enjoy my food at all.

I don't think I will ever go celebrate another birthday here. Next time I will just go enjoy the patio at the bar as this has left a very bitter taste in my mouth as it not only ruined the celebration but when I go to a great restaurant, I expect a great experience. This was just a huge disappointment.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Ayeletb
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

This place has excellent food, and a spectacular view. The service is excellent. The restaurant requires a credit card to hold the reservation, and if you don't show up and don't cancel it, they will charge $50 per person. I decided not to make a reservation, and show up at 3pm and the bistro (not the restaurant) was open and we found a very nice table without having to wait (same view, menu and service as in the restaurant).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Negroycanche
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

I love posh hotels, and this has been on my list for quite some time. We drove to Napa from San Francisco without a reservation, but I looked online the night prior and knew I had some last minute luxury options: Auberge du Soleil, Bardesonno, Carneros Inn, Solage & Calistoga Ranch. Auberge was my top choice. I've stayed at Bardessono previously and I loved it. But I wanted to try another property, so this time I booked Auberge, while eating lunch at Bouchon which I recommend. It's easier to pull the trigger on a high priced room while sipping on wine. I booked a lower level valley room. The hotel is just a 10 minute drive from Yountville. When we first pulled into the hotel, the valets were goofing around a bit, which was a bit of a turn-off. The complimentary glass of wine offered at check in made up for that though. The property doesn't ooze luxury, it's understated, which is perfectly fine. After check-in, you drive your car (with wine glass in hand btw) to your bungalow. I believe most of the rooms are identical, except for the view, which is why you pay a premium for the upper level rooms. The room met my expectations, from reviewing pics online - hardwood floors, wood-burning fireplace, french doors open to balcony, comfy king size bed, big flat panel tv, cd player (with nice selection of cds), books, well stocked mini bar (complimentary non alcoholic drinks and snacks) and large bathroom with separate tub and shower. The toiletries are refillable canisters, so eco-friendly but nothing you can take home. The room was very comfy and a good size for 2 people. Since the resort is located up on the hillside, it's very quiet, which I love. The main pool is quite nice, but I think they should have made it an infinity edge pool. Fortunately, the spa has 3 plunge pools with infinity edges. The hotel's main restaurant is what you would expect from a Relaix and Chateau property, excellent. If you want very good food that is a little less adventurous, the bar menu is great. They both share the same spectacular view. I love hotels that have partnerships with luxury car companies. Auberge has a partnership with Mercedes, so you can take one of the many models out for a spin. We took the CL63 AMG out, which was a blast. The resort is close enough to Silver Oak, Plump Jack, Darioush, Far Niente and the wonderful restaurants in Yountville. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: If money is no object, book an upper valley view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jeffrey G
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

This is our fourth trip to this property...The service is amazing, the rooms are outstanding, the food melts in your mouth. I wanted to change the locks on our suite and never leave. They are changing some of the decor in the suites which were fine. Happy either way.

Room Tip: Rooms below have an amazing view of the valley...if you are good at walking its a hike to the main...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank travelbyjane
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rutherford
Bardessono
Napa Valley Lodge
Napa Valley Lodge
#3 of 6 in Yountville
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,231 reviews

Been to Auberge du Soleil? Share your experiences!