“Beautiful property for a romantic getaway”
Review of Auberge du Soleil

Auberge du Soleil
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Rutherford
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 16, 2012

This property was on my "bucket" list of hotels since the mid-80s when I used to visit the wine country twice a month from my home in Silicon Valley. I couldn't affort it back then, so we decided to try it for a Valentine's Day getaway. We have been fortunate to stay in several nice hotels recently(like The Peninsula in Beverly Hills and The Carlyle in NYC) so I was interested to stay at Auberge to compare because Auberge is, by far, much more expensive. I had the same experience as a previous reviewer, in that the rate I was quoted on the phone was $100 more than the rate I found on the Internet, which was frustrating and unnecessary in my view. I also used the Concierge prior to my stay to book winery tours. She was very helpful and friendly and her follow-through was excellent. She also booked a couple of local restaurants, which was great but we did not have a car and had no idea it would be impossible to get a cab back to Auberge from St. Helena. One of the couples dining at the restaurant was kind enough to give us lift - make sure you have a car. We booked the cheapest room and got an upgrade at check-in. We had a terrace but could not see the Valley yet we liked the privacy. The complimentary snacks and bottle of wine in the room was a very nice touch, as was the nightly turn-down. The staff throughout the property was very friendly. The grounds are lovely; loved the sculptures and landscaping. We ate 2 dinners at the Bistro, which is more casual than the formal dining room but we much preferred it. We had reservations at the formal restaurant for Valentine's night, but sat down and saw it was a fixed-price, four course meal and we had had so much wine that we again opted for a cheese/pate platter & oysters in the Bistro. The staff at the restaurant did not make us feel at all uncomfortable about opting for the Bistro. We had very noisy neighbors two of the three nights during our stay. I mentioned it to the front desk manager our final morning and she followed up with me after we checked out and gave us a discount on our bill. I really
appreciated her taking the time and effort to address the issue even after we departed. That is an indication that Auberge cares about their guests enough to want them to return, even in a touristy area like Napa Valley. We will return, but I do feel the nightly price of this hotel is too high given the property.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Auberge du Soleil

Reviewed February 16, 2012

The above heading can't summarise my first visit to a.d.s enough. Having spent an amazing stay for our anniversary and my birthday in napa with the poetry inn ( which by the way the staff at auberge bistro can clearly learn sth fr in terms of service), my partner and I decided to check out auberge in view if the supposedly excellent ratings on tripadvisor as we were planning to return to napa pretty soon.
To be fair we were pleasantly greeted by the staff at the front desk and lady in front of the bistro who helpfully gave suggestions. There was also a gentleman (?manager - he was in a smart blue shirt and suit) who helpfully suggested an all day bistro menu.
With a gd start, we decided to have a bite at the bistro while waiting for dinner. I distinctly rem it was 4pm on 12th feb 2012.

But it was downhill -fast- once we stepped in.

1) there were 3 waiters and 1 waitress at tht time. The place was not full, but no one bothered to show us to seats. Granted, it is likely perhaps a free seating bistro, so we made our way outdoors to find a tAble.
HOWEVER, just a couple of minutes later, one of the waiters led a grp of ladies to their tables outdoors, while pleasantly explaining to them the amazing views their seats will have. This irks me very much and makes me wonder abt the substandard treatment.

2) my partner truly wanted us to enjoy the lovely view, considering we flew a long distance to napa and it being our first visit here. He thus went over and spoke to the (only) female waitress who mentioned we could shift over to the seats once she was done clearing the table up.
We thus waited at another table .
What happened next was a positive shock.
The waiter whom I mentioned above led 3 ladies to the table and promptly sat them down. Granted, the team.s communication might not have been excellent and thus, he was not made aware of us wanting the tAble.
However, what made me boil was h ow the lady waitress blatantly saw the three ladies sit, and didn't even flinch a bit. I waited a while to see if she will come over and at least explain or offer another seat, but no..
With such disregard, we decided not to eat at such a place. Before I left, I sought an explanation for what happened from her. And her totally not giving me any eye contact and flippantly saying "oh yea it's free seating you knw, hang on" while looking at the cashier was the last straw for me. is this how a supposedly renowned hotel staff treats a customer? How did the ratings get this high??

To be honest, the view is not to die for, I enjoyed better views and service from the poetry inn, it's just such a let down that such service can exist in a supposedly 5star facility housing a Michelin starred restaurant. Obviously, the service of the staff at the Bistro is not on par with that star...
A true disappointment, and I'll put my money somewhere more deserving the next flight up.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
22  Thank Eileen L
bradley20, General Manager at Auberge du Soleil, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2012

Dear Eileen,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent experience here at Auberge du Soleil. Please accept my sincere apologies for your dissatisfaction with our Bistro service. You are correct that it is "open" seating in this area and guests are free to select any open table. As you may suspect, tables with the best views are always in demand and many seated guests are requesting the next available table with a more spectacular view. Sometimes it is difficult for our waitstaff to determine which guest has placed the first request for that next table. Our mistake is that we did not follow up with you to explain the situation and then secure the next available table with an equally special view.

I would like the opportunity to turn your opinion around. You indicated that you intend to travel to the Valley in the future. Please contact me in advance at (707) 967-3131 or breynolds@aubergedusoleil.com as I would personally like to see to the details of your next visit.

Regards,
Bradley Reynolds

Reviewed January 30, 2012

This resort has it all. You can stay in the hotel section and enjoy the shared pool (which is till wonderful) or you can choose a private suite/villa (which we did). We had a private garden suite, with a separate living room with fireplace, dining table, half bath, full kitchen with full size Jenn Aire Fridge stocked with wine, cheese, and fruit, and french doors to our patio/pool area. The master bedroom also had a fireplace and a king bed, fabulous bath suite, and french doors to the patio/pool area. We couldn't have enjoyed it more! We relaxed by the pool each morning with coffee (or mimosas) while reading the paper, and enjoyed a relaxing dip in the pool each evening upon our return.
The food at the restaurant (and room service) is excellent. Beautifully prepared and presented, and just the right amount. Everything is first class (and pricey) but it is worth every penny. This must be what heaven is like!

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SuzyQinHou
Reviewed January 29, 2012

Great service-window seat to look over the valley- great food-small portions,but just right-

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2012

We've stayed at this resort twice, the first time was magical, we arrived in the late afternoon to a lovely glass of red wine served in a tiny glass, upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite and had the absolute best pool service one could imagine. The staff could not have been nicer. The second visit was not so nice, the room was really small and it felt dated, for the amount of money we spend on the accommodations I was hoping for something better, in their defence maybe we just enjoyed the 1 bedroom suite too much. The tiles in the bathroom were lifting the sink in the drinks alcove was stained - little things. My husband and I were celebrating our 25 year anniversary and I had contacted the Concierge several times regarding turn down etc. We enjoyed a fabulous dinner at Presse Restaurant in Rutherford and returned to our room; no turn down, not fire, nothing. (On top of that the room was cleaned very late in the afternoon, just when we were ready to leave for dinner). We were so disappointed. I called the front desk and they explained that due to a large group they had no time to send someone! Really!!! Several minutes after my phone call an employee arrived with a fire log for the fire place and suggested that we light the fire ourselves and that the matches could be found on the mantle. Yikes. Normally this really wouldn't bother me, but it was a very special occasion . We spent very little time at the resort because the service was just so bad. I wish I could say it wasn't but I just cant.

The next evening we decided to have dinner at the restaurant which had been touted as a must. The food was excellent, the service was not. We were greeted with "what will you have folks" after being advised of the specials. I didn't care for the overfamiliar way in which most of the staff treated us and I assume the rest of the guest. We experienced the same treatment at the pool.

I did not write a review because I assumed this was just one of those trips. If something can go wrong it will. My husband and I travel 3 times a year and this trip is always special because its without our kids in the spring. I decided to give this resort another chance for my 50th birthday but will never again.

All I can say is this, the reservations agent was agressive, rude and condescending with regards to our reservation. The price quoted was at least $500.00 more that what was advertised on the website and the only response was "well we discussed the rooms options and you were aware of the pricing when we discussed this reservation yesterday'. That may very well be true, BUT why would a reservations agent be schooling a consumer on the fine points of room categories, really at $1,700.00 a night one would think there would be some finesse.

We have decided on another property in Rutherford who in my opinion can give the Auberge some lessons in customer service. I'm so sorry not to be able to stay there again, but if the staff is snobbier than the guest there's really no choice.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank bellapug10
bradley20, General Manager at Auberge du Soleil, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2012

Dear Bellapug,

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective regarding your experiences hare at Auberge du Soleil. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your initial visit to our property, however I must sincerely apologize for the many service problems that you encountered on your second visit. We pride ourselves on delivering first class service and hospitality but clearly fell short during your stay.
I would like to thank you for attempting to give us another try after your second visit. Unfortunately we mishandled your reservation request and you rightly chose to go elsewhere. I appreciate your candor as it is through this type of feedback that I can review with my staff areas that need improvement.
I would like the opportunity to welcome you back for a third visit and hopefully many more. If you would like to contact me directly at either (707) 967-3131 or breynolds@aubergedusoleil.com. I will personally handle your reservation and all details related to your visit so that we can hopefully win back your trust in our service.

Regards,
Bradley Reynolds

Reviewed January 13, 2012

I first visited Auberge du Soleil 10 years ago, when I dropped in for lunch whilst in Napa on a business trip. I'd been struck by the beauty of the spot then - where better than enjoy the Napa Valley than this? And so I resolved to come here with my partner, as a special celebration for our 5th anniversary.

Everything about this place is first-class. The rooms are impeccably maintained, comfortable and have fantastic views. The breakfasts are wonderful (you can have whatever you choose from the a la carte menu) and the lunch is a very solid Michelin-starred standard.

You can spend your days relaxing in the warm and hot tubs in the spa (we couldn't face the cold one, having dipped a toe in it!), enjoying the view and the quiet, or borrow a top-of-the-range Mercedes and zoom around the Napa in it - as we did - it's up to you!

It's the staff, however, that really sets this place apart. Professional, helpful and just lovely (Lisa in the spa took a photo of us on her IPhone on our anniversary, and emailed it to us later that day with a lovely message - this really made our stay), they make you feel thoroughly spoilt.

We'd started plotting our return here before we'd left... always a sign of a hit! Very highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 18, 2011

This is the best hotel experience I've had thus far. We visited in September for 3 nights. The breakfast each morning was amazing, the pool area is heavenly, and the rooms were casually chic. I've never paid this much per night (and wondered if I could justify it), but after having stayed here, it was worth it, and we will be back. And we will stay a few more nights the next time. Take advantage of the concierge; the hotel booked us on some amazing winery tours that we otherwise would not have identified on our own. The spa is not to be missed; really well done and worth the cost. The people who work at this resort are all so kind and down-to-earth and really contributed to making our stay so wonderful.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rutherford
Bardessono
Villagio Inn and Spa
Villagio Inn and Spa
#6 of 6 in Yountville
Calistoga Ranch, An Auberge Resort

Been to Auberge du Soleil? Share your experiences!