“Dim sum”

New Capital Seafood Restaurant
Reviewed February 3, 2012

This place is good, my friends and i went to eat some dim sum during the morning time which is a couple hours before noon, or around noon. the wait is never fun, crowds of people waiting to be sat down. inside is very big and they pack a lot of people in there. the spacing between tables is very small but just enough for carts to push through. the ladies pushing the carts take their sweet time getting around. i have seen some people literally go up to the ladies that push the cart to either let them know to stop by the certain table or to take the food themselves. tea and the old plates are refilled and picked up right away. asking for ice water or more sauce takes a bit. so what we do is just order everything while getting sat down so it arrives just as we are bout to eat. we got sat by the entrance of the kitchen and got first dibs on everything which was very convenient. the further you go back into the place, the louder it gets and less frequent the food arrives.

3  Thank Eugene P

Reviewed January 17, 2012

I have been frequenting this restaurant for 3 years now and have always had a positive experience. My recent visit was no different. When my family from Philippines and Hong Kong comes to visit and prefers authentic chinese food, this is the restaurant I take them to. My Chinese brother-in-law, who happends to be very nitpicky when it comes to his food, approves of this restaurant and more. We drive 40 minutes just to have dim sum here every now and then, braving the 1 hour wait time or more. This place is always busy. No matter the day of the week, but more so on brunch weekends! Unfortunately, there are times when we are simply just in a hurry and can't wait that long (over an hour wait), that's when we go to another dimsum restaurant in Nogales - The Happy Harbor.

The food here are really amazing. I love the flavors of freshly steamed dimsum. Our usual favorites are the har kaw, sio mai, chicken feet, steamed pork ribs, sticky rice, steamed chinese broccoli in oyster sauce and fried shrimp balls. I have to admit that I also order different viands that I don't know what they are called. I just pick out from the cart what looks good to me. Often times, it's a no miss. I like most of it too. From time to time, like on our recent visit, we like to order their live fishes - just have it steamed in soy sauce and green onions. Simple dish but soo yummmy! I believe we had the live rock fish, cat fish and tilapia here. I like the red rock fish the most. My family also love their live crab special.

I'm use to chinese servers who are stoic, sometimes appearing rude. Sometimes, I understand it is the language barrier so I don't really take it personally when chinese servers seemed abrupt. Like I said, I am use to that and it's no big deal to me. But my recent visit here was a pleasant surprise. Servers here seems friendly and accommodating. Though, I still need to speak english slowly or one-word at a time, it was not overly taxing. In fact, all of them were eager to please us and deliver our orders. One bus boy unexpectedly replaced my sons spoon when his accidentally fell off the floor. Yes, they seem to actually go out of their way to make our dining experience a pleasant one. Dim sum and this restaurant in particular, can be pretty chaotic. Mainly because of so many people eating here; the busy servers and carts are all over the place. But I truly enjoyed my recent trip here (made me miss Hong Kong more). The 1hr 15minutes wait was well worth it.

Prices here can be inexpensive depending on your order. But the live fishes, lobster and crabs are expectedly expensive but worth it.

I will be coming back soon... perhaps then, my sista and her family will join us!

5  Thank Thor G
Reviewed July 10, 2011

We go to New Capital for dim sum several times a year, and often take friends and family with us. Our most recent visit was as good as the first, with all our dim sum favorites -- harkow, siu mai, cha siu bao, steamed veggies and fish balls. With the ladies pushing their carts around the dining room calling out their wares, it's sometimes a shock to look out the window and see the 60 freeway instead of Hong Kong harbor. Very tasty, very authentic Chinese cuisine!

1  Thank FontanaBananas
Reviewed September 18, 2010

This is an older restaurant and the decor may be a little worn, but the food here and the service are spectacular. I think it is much better food than P.F.Chang's.

Reviewed September 1, 2009

Our cousins brought us to this restaurant when we met up with them for dinner during our LA trip. Our first impression of the place was that it was very classy, so it must be really pricey right? But since they picked it (they came here regularly) we just decided to try it out to see what it was like.

The quality of the food was pretty good. We had this beef dish which I think was made with 8 different spices that was really good. The crispy fried chicken was a hit with the kids. Also, the restaurant had a special that if you order more than $29.99, you get 1-2 free lobsters (depends on size of party), which is a pretty sweet deal. The bill was really reasonable for the quality and quantity of food that you get. I heard that if you go there after 11 p.m., everything is 50% off.

This is a place we'd definitely go back to when we visit LA again.

1  Thank KZSCJC