New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Extended Stay America - Sacramento - Roseville

Extended Stay America - Sacramento - Roseville
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Roseville
Fresno, California
“If the facility was as nice as the people, it would be great...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

I blame myself for this one. I believe in quality and in value. For a recent business trip, we were offered rooms at a brand new hotel a block from the conference. I chose to save what amounts to about $40/night to stay a mile away here at the extended stay. It had mixed reviews, but I figured I wasn't going to be there too much. While I saved money here, I don't feel like I came out ahead. Here's the lowdown...
First, the staff. The two people I talked to were great. Very polite, courteous and professional. A+ for the staff, including the Asian lady who I assumed was the manager.
Next, the location. Not too far from the mall, restaurants and other things you need on a business trip, but kind of a pain to get into and out of. There's only one exit, and it's right turn only. Kind of a pain when most things are in the opposite direction.
Now, the real issues - the rooms themselves. A great staff cannot make up for s crappy facility, and this is what we have here. It's an obvious case of the franchisee or operators REFUSING to put ANY kind of money back into the facility. I feel bad for the staff - knowing you work in a crappy environment means you take shortcuts, cause lets face it, the owners don't care, why should I? First, the whole hotel has this musty smell. It sure seems like it doesn't vent well. I turned on the a/c unit to clear up the air. Next, the TVs. This is 2012, why on earth does this hotel have 19" CRT TV's in their rooms?! That's just cheap. The shower drain was slow. Even after a minute to get to the warm water, the tub is flooding. And the bed? Not the most comfortable, but not the worse I've seen.
Then there's cleanliness. There was a weird black stain on the top sheet. I didn't use it. There was hair in random places - from the tub to the towel rack. I just never felt like the place was as clean as it could be - and once again, I blame ownership - since I already have the perception they're too cheap to reinvest, I also feel like they're trying to run this place on a shoe string budget, with as little staff as possible. The two people I talked to were the ONLY two people I saw during my stay.
In closing, I will not come back. While the staff is great, the building itself needs to be updated and cleaned (remember the smell). The free wifi is great, and the location isn't bad, but there are better choices in that city, and the price difference isn't killer.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

The rooms were decent. A step up from Motel 6. Staff was great, good customer service. I had recently watch a television program on bed bugs. Since watching this program,whenever I stay at a hotel I always do an inspection for bed bugs by pulling back sheets and checking matresses and boxsprings. When inspecting the boxspring, I immediatly found two bedbugs. I called the front desk and they offered me a new room. I was so grossed out I decided to leave and return home as it was only 20 minitues away. A supervisor refunded me for the room, no questions asked.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank disneybaby5
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2011

Was forced to leave after paying a week in advance without a refund. Noel [--] was very unprofessional, irrate and threatened me after finding one cigarette butt in the toilet. Told me if I checked out By 11am the next day I would recieve a refund for the days I did not stay. So, I checked out on time went to the front desk and waited for Noel and he stated that i would not be recieving a refund at all. I informed him That I would contact coporate office and he grew even more angry and told me to leave immediatly. Also I had asked the day before to have housekeeping service my room and they didnt... One of the stove burners didnt work either. needless to say, I left broke with 2 kids in the rain crying with nowhere to go...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank jill1982
Dubuque
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

Noel and Laura in management and all the remainder of the staff here are just awesome! They function extremely well as team which made my stay worry-free. Noel always has a smile and everyone always remembers your name...like the place that you can go where everbody knows your name, if you will. From management to maintenance they are all professional and I highly recommend this hotel if you want a worry -free stay!! Thank you Noel, Laura, Barbara, Christy, Rachel, Hurash, and Rueben.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ernursey25
Bay Area, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

I live in the Bay Area and stayed at a local Extended Stay America during a home renovation. I had a positive experience there and decided to give my business to Extended Stay again for my trip to Sacramento.

Unfortunately, the room didn't live up to my expectations and prior visit.

Our room smelled musty and vaguely of smoke. I smelled the upholstered chair and bedding and couldn't find any trace of smoke, so I can only assume that the smoke smell was in the walls and vents. I can't really blame management for that. The decor was outdated - older carpet, wallpaper, bedding, and art on the walls, not to mention the dingy looking popcorn ceiling. The TV was older and small - I'd guess about a 17". Some of the channels weren't coming in very well. The air conditioner rattled a bit, but worked well enough to cool the room within 20 minutes. The bathroom was the dirtiest part of the room. The toilet hadn't been cleaned properly. There was dust and dirt on the top of the lid and behind the toilet seat. I also found what *appeared* to be--um, how to put this delicately--snot stuck to the shower wall. Clearly, someone had made a half-hearted effort to clean the shower/tub area, but neglected the details. I could see dirt and marks (that weren't permanent stains) on the walls and tub.

I was surprised in the morning to find that the bathroom had no blow dryer. I don't think I've ever stayed at a hotel without a complimentary blow dryer. I had to wait for my hair to air dry. Annoying.

The pillows were very comfortable, but the mattress was a little too firm for my liking. This is subjective, of course. I was irritated that there was no bedskirt for the boxspring and that the boxspring had a large brownish-yellow stain on the front.

The staff seemed nice enough, but we never interacted with them beyond checking in and checking out. There was a couple in front of us who complained of a clogged toilet and was told by the front desk lady that the maintenance man was out and that she'd try to find someone to take care of it, but that there was currently no one on site then or anytime soon who'd be able to fix it. I hope she offered them a new room, but judging by their persistence, I can only assume not.

One benefit of staying at this ESA rather than another in the Sacramento area is that your car is a little less likely to be stolen in Roseville. Sad, but true. The other ESAs are in not-so-great areas, even if they are more upgraded.

I also liked that this hotel was so close to shopping and eating.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Sunnyvale, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2006

Despite having booked a non-smoking room, I was given a room on the smoking floor. Doesn't matter though. The whole building reeks of smoke even the non-smoking sections. Unpleasant, tactiturn, passive-agressive staff. They are renovating the smoking floor but even the strong paint smell couldn't cover the reek of the smoke. Paper thin walls, with the fan on I could hear the TV in the next room over (even though the volume was not excessively high) and much street traffic noise. Hall carpets on third floor are covered with uncleaned up paint from the renovations. The bedding was clean but the towels REEKED of cigarette smoke, disgusting!! Little things are missing too, like there is no blowdryer in the room. Deadbolt didn't work! A surreal experience, not worth repeating.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank HaoleDave
N. Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2004

We stayed in the extended stay roseville in April 2004.
The hotel was adequate, and at £59 per night not badly priced.
There are not a lot of facilities in the hotel, it's main saving grace for us was the Claimjumpers restaurant across the road, from the hotel, which was always very busy, but had a lot of tables.
Their food was good especially the steaks, and baby ribs and would go to extended stay again just for claimjumpers.

2 Thank Suteran