“Surprised us”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We dropped in to Mel's on Lonetree for a quick dinner. We both ordered the prime rib special at a very reasonable price. We didn't expect too much.

Surprise! A generous cut, perfectly prepared, accompanied by the right stuff. The meat was warm and tender, as well as tasty. We expected overcooked and a bit tough. We'll be back.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

Well this was my 1st time at Mel's and I had a great breakfast, it was hot and very tasty. The service was good also, my coffee never got cold. I enjoyed the atmosphere also.
My Brother and I went back the next day and I tried a Bacon Cheeseburger and it was cooked just right and very tasty also. And the fries were fresh and cooked just the way I like them.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Reading the reviews I wonder if they were at the same restaurant I visited. I went on a busy Sunday morning at about 10am, right into prime time. The front desk was empty when I walked in. The first person who saw me seated me.

I chose a partially clean table over a clean booth because it had a bit more room. The bus person was there almost as soon as I sat down to wipe the table, he also took my drink order. Waitress was prompt to return for my order. During my visit my coffee cup was never empty. I must have had it filled by at least 5 different people, everyone who passed by with a coffee pot offered a refill, not just my waitress, other waitresses and the bus person were filling my cup. They were busy & moving around constantly tending to all the customers, not just their station.

I choose an omelet, sliced tomatoes, and toast. Omelet was just fine, not greasy. Tomato was a full tomato, and the toast was properly done. What can you say, it was just fine.

50's decor is fun, a couple of TV's high on the wall had football games going without sound.. just what you want on a Sunday AM. Several large family groups were being accommodated.

I'll remember this place when I'm in that area again.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

What Mel's has going for it, is they are open 24/7. On the other side of the coin, the food is average...nothing special, not even the prices. Waitress service is spotty at best...but the most glaring grade 'F' is for cleanliness,or lack of. Every single time we have been in Mel's our table has been either dirty, sticky or wiped with a dirty cloth and streaked with soap or? (Yikes). Restaurant floor needs a good sweeping & mopping. Bathrooms, at least the women's, is equally dirty...Yes Mel's is busy, but surely there has to be a time (midnight or 2am?) when the restaurant can have a cleaning service come in and give this place a good scrubbing, which it sorely needs.
We only dare guess how clean the cooking area is!!!!!

Reviewed November 8, 2012

My son's first place to choose if we go out to eat! Great atmosphere and food! Gotta have a great shake for dessert (may need to save 1/2 your entree so you have room)! Friendly waitstaff!