“First time, ,maybe last time too” 3 of 5 stars

Black Bear Diner
Ranked #25 of 417 Restaurants in Roseville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Antelope, California
“First time, ,maybe last time too”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Nothing new, big porcions but too much of it. my waittress was too friendly some comments where out of place, my utinsils need it to be change becuase dirt on it. also, the person cleaning and setting up the tables got to close to the table with his personal parts it was nasty to watch...

• Visited July 2013

“processed food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

There food is frozen and dried .gravy came from a powder. Portions are big I heard...not ....every where I go you get two slices of meat loaf not one that's small with a tablespoon of gravy. Chicken fried steak ...frozen....the only thing fresh is the bear claws ...I tried twice...I won't be . Back. ......

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
Rocklin, California
“Huge, yummy breakfast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We went around 8:00 on a Saturday and were seated right away. Coffee & juice was served swiftly. Our party of 3 ordered the Bigfoot chicken fried steak & egg breakfast, the California Bacon eggs benedict and a veggie omelet.

We have searched high and low in this area for great chicken fried steak and finally found it! The steak was huge, tender and tasty. The gravy was perfectly seasoned, but we could have used a little more gravy. The 2 biscuits that came with the meal were enough for 4 people. It was ordered with fruit, which was the standard small bowl of cantaloupe, honeydew and strawberries.

The California Bacon eggs benedict was a nice change from the "regular" eggs benedict. It came with thick sliced bacon (instead of Canadian bacon) spinach & tomato. The Hollandaise sauce was topped with a few slices of avocado. The poached eggs were cooked perfectly. The house red potatoes were well seasoned and an excellent choice.

The vegetable omelet was ok....nothing over the top.

The portions were very generous and we brought home plenty of leftovers. The orange juice tasted freshly squeezed.

Our waiter was attentive but not intrusive. We will definitely be back!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank rgadavis
“Tired Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I'm sorry to offer this review because my wife and I have enjoyed decent meals at several Black Bear diners in Northern California. However, tonight's meal was so bad that I'm compelled to tell about it.

I ordered the chicken pot pie while my wife asked for the chicken fried steak. We both thought our choices would be very good, based on prior experience at other Black Bear stores. First, the pot pie arrived on a large oval dinner plate but its bowl covered less than a third of the plate's surface. The crust was gummy and tasteless -- I was expecting flaky and flavorful. The gravy was thin, the carrots and peas mushy and the chicken? Well, what little chicken I found was beyond overcooked. Insufficient quantity to call this a meal, the poor quality notwithstanding. The crust rim was sort of glued to the bowl, hard to pull off.

Perhaps we're spoiled by chicken pot pies at Max's in Auburn, Brookfields in Roseville. And there's enough content in those to actually be sold as a dinner. Black Bear's offering was like a bowl of soup before the meal. A bad bowl, at that.

My wife's chicken fried something was not a steak. It was decent size, but after scraping away the crust on a piece of it, the underlying thin layer of over-tenderized meat resembled nothing like a steak. And tasted nothing like beef by any measure. My wife said "no texture." Well, I disagree. This clod of something had a texture like fake meat. Cooked sawdust held together by edible but flavorless glue. Only the gravy had flavor. However, the mashed potatoes were good.

Also good were the salads that almost preceded the entrees. The salads arrived moments before the entree and were the best part of the meal. With two soft drinks, this mess set us back $30.05. Too bad, Black Bear. We eat out a lot. Just not any more with you.

For what it's worth, the service was the best thing about the meal, except for the timing on the salad.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Murry S
Roseville, California
“Not a bad breakfast yet!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I "discovered" Black Bear Diner years ago while visiting Santa Rosa, Ca. Every year on our annual trip we would make sure to stop in for breakfast. They have opened several new (and closer) Black Bear Diners in the last few years, which we would visit occasionally, but I was thrilled to see they opened a new Black Bear last month in Roseville about 10 minutes from our house! We tried it out this weekend. It was very crowded, but worth the wait. They just can't make a bad breakfast. Their bear claws are delicious (and huge), their french fries are excellent and I have yet to find something I don't like here. The staff is friendly, the place is clean and the decor is very cute. Everything is reasonably priced. This is top of the line for a chain restaurant.

• Visited February 2013