“Tired Food”

Black Bear Diner
Ranked #35 of 455 Restaurants in Roseville
Cuisines: American
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I'm sorry to offer this review because my wife and I have enjoyed decent meals at several Black Bear diners in Northern California. However, tonight's meal was so bad that I'm compelled to tell about it.

I ordered the chicken pot pie while my wife asked for the chicken fried steak. We both thought our choices would be very good, based on prior experience at other Black Bear stores. First, the pot pie arrived on a large oval dinner plate but its bowl covered less than a third of the plate's surface. The crust was gummy and tasteless -- I was expecting flaky and flavorful. The gravy was thin, the carrots and peas mushy and the chicken? Well, what little chicken I found was beyond overcooked. Insufficient quantity to call this a meal, the poor quality notwithstanding. The crust rim was sort of glued to the bowl, hard to pull off.

Perhaps we're spoiled by chicken pot pies at Max's in Auburn, Brookfields in Roseville. And there's enough content in those to actually be sold as a dinner. Black Bear's offering was like a bowl of soup before the meal. A bad bowl, at that.

My wife's chicken fried something was not a steak. It was decent size, but after scraping away the crust on a piece of it, the underlying thin layer of over-tenderized meat resembled nothing like a steak. And tasted nothing like beef by any measure. My wife said "no texture." Well, I disagree. This clod of something had a texture like fake meat. Cooked sawdust held together by edible but flavorless glue. Only the gravy had flavor. However, the mashed potatoes were good.

Also good were the salads that almost preceded the entrees. The salads arrived moments before the entree and were the best part of the meal. With two soft drinks, this mess set us back $30.05. Too bad, Black Bear. We eat out a lot. Just not any more with you.

For what it's worth, the service was the best thing about the meal, except for the timing on the salad.

1  Thank Murry S

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I "discovered" Black Bear Diner years ago while visiting Santa Rosa, Ca. Every year on our annual trip we would make sure to stop in for breakfast. They have opened several new (and closer) Black Bear Diners in the last few years, which we would visit occasionally, but I was thrilled to see they opened a new Black Bear last month in Roseville about 10 minutes from our house! We tried it out this weekend. It was very crowded, but worth the wait. They just can't make a bad breakfast. Their bear claws are delicious (and huge), their french fries are excellent and I have yet to find something I don't like here. The staff is friendly, the place is clean and the decor is very cute. Everything is reasonably priced. This is top of the line for a chain restaurant.

1  Thank Newlywed_Gal
Reviewed February 10, 2013

We arrived a little after 8 a.m. Sunday. The hostess greeted us and started to take us to our table when the phone at the counter rang. So half way up the stairs she stops and returns to answer the phone. Meanwhile another hostess arrives and seats the couple behind us, rather than taking us to our table. So even though we arrived before the couple behind us we had to wait to be seated until the 1st hostess got off the phone. That’s not a good way to make your customers feel valued for their patronage.

After finishing her call she took us to our table and a server came by shortly after. She asked if we would like coffee and returned with it and took our orders. My dining companion ordered the 2 egg breakfast that comes with potatoes and a choice of different breads. We wanted to try their pancakes so asked if we could get one instead of the bread choices and were told we could. What she didn’t tell us is substituting a pancake is 1 dollar more. So with coffee, the two egg breakfast was over $10.50. Not a good value for a simple breakfast. Also her eggs were cold, their hash browns are some of the worst we have ever had and the pancake was undercooked.

I had the southern scramble. It came with a terrible split biscuit that tasted like shortening. It was covered with 2 huge sausage patties, 2 scrambled eggs and bland tasteless country gravy. When I tasted the sausage I realized that it was Italian and not regular breakfast sausage, it was also very salty. When the server came by I asked about this and was told they don’t have regular sausage patties only links. I wish they had this information on their menu because in over 50 years of eating morning meals I have never been served Italian sausage for breakfast.

The service was also slow. We only received one refill of coffee and our food took too long to get to the table. Maybe that’s why it was cold. We will not go back.

4  Thank offandupout
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We arrived to Black Bear Diner on the 2nd day of opening. There was a crowd , it was still only a 15 minute wait and well worth it.
A huge black bear was strolling around greeting people and the weer handing out balloons to the kids.
We got seated and the waitress was awesome and friendly, every employee was. The food was delicious and big portions ! The kids were so excited because their meal came with a Sunday for dessert, and the kids got to pick the toppings, they bring out a tray of crushed Oreo cookies, sprinkles, gummy bears, and sauces to put on top also. It was a great experience. We went back a week later and they were just as crowded but it didn't take long to be seated and the service was just as friendly and the food great.I would recommend everyone to visit the Black Bear Diner soon !

1  Thank teatime1960