“Cerviche Heaven”
Review of La Huaca

La Huaca
Reserve with OpenTable
La Huaca is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 448 Restaurants in Roseville
Cuisines: Peruvian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Eureka Rd
Description: The initial melting of the culinary tradition of ancient Peru with Spanish cuisine, evolved through immigration and influences of French, Italian, Asian and African people, who modified their traditional cuisines with ingredients available in peruvian geography only. The result: Peruvian Gastronomy, the most diverse in the world. Welcome to the world of peruvian cuisine. Welcome to a whole new adventure.
Meadow Vista, California
“Cerviche Heaven”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I saw a good review of the restaurant in the newspaper. Decided to try it for lunch. I thought a light lunch would be right, choose Cerviche and a small salad. Great choice. The Cerviche was fresh & tangy, I had a mix of several kinds of seafood and enjoyed every piece. The salads on the menu were large entree sized, but the accommodated me with smaller side salad. The Chimichurri sauce they serve with the bread encouraged me to clean out the basket. A great sauce. I left quite satisfied and with a desire to return for dinner.

• Visited June 2013

West Sacramento, California
“Pleasant staff...delicate cuisine”
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

This was our first visit, and it was during happy hour.

The staff was extremely courteous, and took their time explains the Peruvian food.

I will return for the full dinner menus in about a week.

Visited May 2013
San Jose del Cabo, Mexico
“It's the same restaurant whether GB or Roseville”
Reviewed May 6, 2013

My GF and I ate dinner here on a quiet Sunday evening after a long drive home from SLO. Really bright, upscale design with vibrant decor and music. We were absolutely stuffed and took food home after sharing just a salad, an appetizer, one of the Causas, and the mixed Ceviche. Ordering an entree would have been gratuitous.

I have to admit I don't know Peruvian food at all, just heard about potatoes coming from there with hundreds of heirloom varieties and the opportunity to eat "cuy" when you travel there.

So we were anxious to dig into La Huaca ("ancient indigenous ruins" I believe) cuisine. We started with fried Yuccas stuffed with cheese, which were hot and very light -- round appetizers a little bigger than golf balls. A very nice way to prepare this tasty and healthy root. Our Amazonas salad was filled with tomatoes and artichokes and lots of other goodies. Like the Yuccas, the flavors were more subtle, not the heavy, pungent tastes of Mexico for example. We then had the Causas with vegetales, and this dish convinced us we need to buy a Peruvian cookbook and dig more into potatoes. It was cool, light and refreshing, with the veggies and mashed spuds mixing elegantly. Finally, full already, we did our best to eat the mixed seafood ceviche, which reminded us more of Mexico with a great citrus flavor and large amounts of fish, octopus, and shrimp.

So we consider La Hauca a find, particularly for the Roseville/Sac area, and would easily head there again with friends and family. Does it compare with the best Peruvian restaurants in SF or CA or the US? Who knows, but it deserves its rating in this context.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Chip B
Sacramento, California
“Great Road Chow”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Delicious Peruvian food DOES exist in the Sacramento area... it can be found in upscale East Roseville, California. My wife and I dined here recently at the urging of some friends who often visit Peru, and thus have the opportunity to sample a variety of the authentic regional foods of the country - and we are thrilled that we did! One is first struck by the contemporary feel and ambience, complete with ancient peruvian-style wall paintings and framed handmade textiles upon the walls, as you enter the establishment. The freshly prepared ceviches noted on the various tables looked delectable and appeared to be thoroughly enjoyed by other patrons; we however started off sharing a very tasty Anticuchos Tres Especies, consisting of grilled fish, chicken and filet mignon drizzled in a slightly sweet & spicy sauce with onions, sweet peppers and corn... washed down with a refreshing iced tea and a crisp peruvian Cusquena beer served in a frosted glass. Had we settled for a lighter meal, this would have fit the bill - instead we could not wait for the next course to arrive at our table. My wife loved her Aji de Gallina, a dish comprised of tender chicken breast, steamed rice and potatoes, covered in a delicate homemade Aji Amarillo sauce and a dusting of parmesan cheese. I in turn devoured my meal consisting of generous portions of chicken, beef and pork accompanied by sweet baby corn, assorted small potatoes and petite Peruvian corn cakes, accentuated with a savory homemade Andean sauce. The meal was delicious; the service friendly and efficient; our overall dining experience was excellent - we will definitely return in the future with both family and friends!

• Visited February 2013
sacramento
“After several meals at Limon in SF and others, this disappoints”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Dined here twice, ordered a variety of items from the menu. Nothing terrible, but nothing great either. The presentations are nice, but the sauces underwhelming. And potatoes, potatoes, potatoes. They are colorful varieties but not distinctive. Wanted to like this place as we have had great Peruvian food in SF. It is fairly expensive for what you get. We will not return.

• Visited December 2012

Been to La Huaca? Share your experiences!