“Closest thing to living in Japan that I've had”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Kenro's - CLOSED

Kenro's
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cirby and Sunrise
Transit: Several public transit stops
California, United States
“Closest thing to living in Japan that I've had”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

This is one of the best hole-in-the-wall Japanese restaurants I've ever had the pleasure to visit. After living in Japan for 7 years, I could not find a good and authentic Japanese restaurant anywhere. For those who don't know, living in Japan is not about sushi - yes they eat sushi, but it is not their mainstay. Kenro's has good sushi, but their other dishes are off the chart fantastic and authentic!

From using the correct ingredients such as Kewpi dressings, to having outstanding curry soup, bentos, domburi, Ramune drinks, miso soup, etc., this is like stepping back into a family run restaurant in the heart of Naha City, Japan. I have not found anything more authentic yet.

They have a HUGE menu and everything is extremely reasonably priced. They serve very Japanese style which means you should not expect all of your food at the same time. It comes out when it is done being cooked; therefore, it is hot, hot, hot when you get it!

It is a small mom-and-pop restaurant and generally family run. They are extremely pleasant and helpful. I've never seen it crowded to the point I had to wait and we eat there reasonably often.

It is nothing fancy, so don't expect touristy-type decor. It is like real Japanese restaurants...minimal decor and clean. Go here for the food and authenticity. Four out of four of our family members rate it number one!

• Visited March 2014

Fair Oaks, California
“Our First and Last Visit”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

My husband and I had a gift certificate from Restaurants.com and decided to try Kenro's based on good reviews we had read, We had a reservation and were seated immediately. We ordered drinks from their very small selection . Wine is only available by the glass and the pours are not generous. We shared the deep fried calamari for an appetizer. The sqid was chewy and the dipping sauce had little flavor. The salad was a small bowl of iceburg lettace with a thin, non-descript dressing. The sashimi was very good especially the salmon and tuna and is the only reason I rated the food average. It was nicely presented with shredded radish and garnish.The worst part of this "dining" experience was the loud TV mounted on the wall in the dining room blaring music videos.

• Visited February 2014
Newcastle, California, United States
“Great food friendly staff”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I was in the post office and I over heard someone mention this place and we had to check it out.
We had a great meal! Kristin was wonderful and friendly. My mom loved the Tuna tacos and we shared the sashimi salad , cucumber salad , volcano roll and fried squid. Everything was fresh and Kristin has some of her own concoction's not on the menu that we couldn't resist like the Hope Float ( frozen berries, tea tree and black sesame seed ice cream with 7up and whipped cream with sprinkles on top) may sound strange but the flavors together made the end of our meal a winner. We will be back next Saturday.

• Visited August 2013
southern california
“We love having dinner here”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Although the service can be a bit slow (understandable as it looks to be family run), the food has always been excellent. Couple this with a restaurant.com discount and you not only get a great meal but for a great price!

• Visited June 2013
Roseville, California
“A TRUE TASTE OF JAPAN, TRUE TO ITS SLOGAN”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

It was a pleasure to discover a small, intimate, friendly, family-feeling Japanese restaurant. With an extensive menu including numerous appetizers, udon selections, sushi and sashimi, special bento boxes, donburi, and entrée selections, there is no problem finding something for every taste.  The food is well prepared by the owner and his small staff. The service is friendly and knowledgable, ready to help with selections.  The prices are amazingly low. This is a place to return to - often.

• Visited April 2013