“Bye-bye Bahooka!”

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2013

This tiki destination has closed, but my March visit (closing weekend) lived up to my memories. The ribs were great, and the drinks strong. The good news is that the 100 aquariums are still there. The new owners are turning it into a Chinese restaurant....Don't expect to see Hawaiian style cooking like this at the new spot, though...

1  Thank arts123

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Like so many have said, go for the experience and atmosphere. You could spend all day just looking at the fish and the unique decor. We had wonderful tiki bar drinks and great pulled pork sandwiches for lunch. Comes with both fries and either a huge bowl of slaw, or a green salad. Really, it is one of those old time unique places that will all be gone soon.

2  Thank RLRaceGirl
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I used to go to Bahooka as a little girl. As I grew up, I seemed to recall that the atmosphere was great, but the food nothing special. Having gone there last night, I sure don't know where I had gotten that impression. In fact, several reviewers mention that the food isn't exceptional, but I couldn't disagree more. The ribs came highly recommended and they didn't disappoint - even for me, someone who doesn't usually even like ribs. There are two varieties - exotic or BBQ. 5 of the 6 of us went with the exotic ribs and we all thought they were heavenly. Plenty of tender meat, great flavor, sauce served on the side. The salad with house dressing is absolutely delicious, but the clam chowder and coleslaw aren't bad alternatives - it's just that the house dressing is amazingly delicious. The plates are plentiful, so leftovers are almost guaranteed, and the service was wonderful. All this in a crazy, underwater environment that is unequaled. I believe there are 150 fish tanks and sea-related decor every place imaginable. Bahooka will be closing on March 10th - which is what spurred my return visit, so my kids could experience what I had as a child. After such a great dining experience, I am very sorry to see it go. It would have been a family favorite. In fact, my kids are asking how many times we can go back before they close. Truth be told, I'm wondering the same thing. :) Thank you, Bahooka!

1  Thank Reservation4Four
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The food at Bahooka's is not exceptional, but the environment is. It's a fun place to visit from time to time. I like looking at all the fish tanks and the semi-private booths are also fun for a small group.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

On May 26, 2012 I ate at the Bahooka Ribs & Grog in Rosemead, CA. I've eaten there many times before. The first thing unusual about the Bahooka is the way that it looks from the street.

The Bahooka looks like it should be someplace in the South Pacific or that maybe it was used in old episodes of McHale's Navy. Once inside one is greeted by over 110 fish tanks and their star attraction Rufus. Rufus is a type of fish known as a Pacu. The Bahooka has been his home for over 35 plus years. Rufus loves carrots and I've seen him eat lots of them over the years.

The food at the Bahooka is very good --- especially if you get the ribs. Other items to select are their yams and the salads with their own house dressing. Sitting at the booths in the Bahooka is a must see experience.

1  Thank Dwain C