“Great Hotel in Riverside”

Courtyard by Marriott Riverside UCR/Moreno Valley Area
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
Reviewed March 3, 2009

I stayed at the Courtyard by Marriott Riverside during a business trip to the area. The hotel is located pretty close to downtown, and very close to the UC Riverside campus. The hotel was very clean, and the front desk was very helpful in providing me area information for local restaurants. The hotel provided free internet throughout, and a business center with free printing in the lobby. There is even a full bar, which served food, in the lobby where guests were enjoying a drink while they worked on their laptops. I was very pleased with my stay at the Courtyard Riverside. The service was better than many of the other business hotels I have stayed at over the years, and the rooms all had microwaves and mini-fridges. I would absolutely recommend the Courtyard Riverside to anyone traveling in the area.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank DealMakerDallas

Reviewed February 6, 2009

Pretty standard Courtyard room.. although this had newer furniture and LCD TV. What I appreciate about the Courtyard chain is that you pretty much know what you are getting, which to me is a slight cut above most standard hotel chains. What I also really appreciate is free Internet access - invaluable for me while traveling. Otherwise, the Courtyard is a very good value hotel, that I feel I can count on quality wise.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2008

Last week I had the opportunity to stay at the Courtyard Riverside during a business trip throughout Southern California and had a positive experience. The room was clean and accommodating with all of the standard Courtyard amenities, including high speed internet. One little touch that I hadn’t seen at other courtyards I’ve stayed at were electrical outlets on the wall beside the bed. If you’ve ever tried to move a nightstand or dresser to get to an outlet to plug your phone or laptop into, you know how convenient having something like that is. The morning hot breakfast buffet was well maintained and had everything on it you’d expect (eggs, omelet station, waffles, juices, cereal, fruit, etc.). The hotel is also located just on the edge of the UC Riverside campus and there are plenty of restaurants within walking distance (if you like Vietnamese food there was an inexpensive little diner in University Village which in only like 2 blks from the hotel). One bit of fun trivia is that there is a historic site right on the property. Attached to the pool is the Weber House which according to the plaque was built by an architect significant to California in the 1920’s and is maintained by a historic preservation group. Kind of different to see something like that in what you would typically expect to be a cookie cutter chain hotel. The hotel’s location is convenient to the highway and downtown Riverside and was only about a 15 minute drive to the Ontario, CA Airport. Lastly, the only minor inconvenience I experienced during the stay was my key not working on my second night. But rather then send me up with another key again to try my luck, they did go the extra step to have me escorted up by an engineering staff member to ensure I could get in on my second try. I wish all hotels could figure out that little things like that are what prevents minor blips from becoming an annoyance to their guests.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank oakcliffguy73
Reviewed January 27, 2008

We were coming into Riverside for a Wedding and needed 3 rooms for our family. We read the reviews of the hotels close to the Wedding and reception. Eventhough, the reviews weren't great for this hotel the location was perfect. We were so surprised as to how clean, comfortable, and friendly everyone we encountered on the staff were to us. Our children thanked us several times for getting them such nice accomodations. It made a wonderful Wedding weekend even nicer having somewhere nice and comfortable to stay.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed December 31, 2007

My family and I stayed at the Riverside Courtyard from 12/28 to 12/30. We got a winter rate of $99 per night. I was impressed with this hotel. The room was welcoming after driving nearly 500 miles down from the bay area. We were in room 202 which was an upgraded king room. Our room also included a refrigerator, a microwave, and a sofa sleeper. The room also had a small balcony that overlooked University Ave. There was free DSL in the room, but we did not use it.

The room was plenty big enough for all four of us to move around, even with a crib. The room itself was clean, and so was the bathroom. The showerhead was high enough for me, which is a problem for me at some hotels (I am 6’3). The water pressure was great, and the water stayed one temperature while showering.

The staff was really nice and helpful. We had an issue with the television in our room. I informed the front desk about it on our way out the first morning. When we returned that evening, there was a note from the staff saying they switched the TV and apologized for any inconvenience caused, and letting us know that we could order a pay per view movie on them.

The overall hotel was kept clean and well maintained (as is the case at each Courtyard we stay at). We did not eat there nor did we use the pool so I can not comment on either thing. The one odd thing was when one of the elevators “took us for a ride.” We waited for the elevator to take us down. The door opened up with the down arrow lit, we all got into it. We pushed for the 1st floor and it went up to the 3rd floor. The door never opened, but we sat there for a few seconds before going back to the 2nd floor, and eventually down to the lobby. It seemed to move rather slowly and made some strange creaking noise as it moved. We tried to avoid that particular elevator for the remainder of our stay.

The area where the hotel is located is convenient to UCR, area restaurants, Starbucks, and the I-215 freeway. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, and I’d love to stay again if our travels take us to Riverside.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed December 15, 2007

This place is a sorry excuse for a Courtyard. Marriott Corporation should come in and strip this hotel of its name. I am stayed at several Courtyards and understand that they are not full service hotels but our experience was just not good. I have stayed at Fairfield Inns that were better than this place.

We encountered several problems with the hotel:
1) Air Unit worked fine but the house was cracking and falling apart. Looked like a unit from a "no tell" motel.
2) The bath tub drain plug did not work properly. We had to remove it in order for the water to flow.
3) Vanity - Extremely tiny. Not much room for you stuff because the hotel put coffee mugs and a coffee maker on the counter in the vanity.
4) Closet was small and is located in an awkward position relative to the bathroom door. Lets say you cant have the bathroom door open and have access to the closet.
5) Terrible bed. The bed was sagging and uncomfortable.
6) Elevator was old and creeky.

There were some positive aspects:
1) Breakfast buffet was pretty good with an excellent omelette station. Service was excellent. Choice in fruit was a little lacking but overall happy with the breakfast.
2) Free internet.

We will never stay here again!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank alexsndiego
Reviewed November 5, 2007

We are in Riverside at least eight times each year on business, and we have been staying at this hotel for about six years. The staff has been consistently courteous and efficient, the facility is attractive and well maintained, and the rooms are comfortable and fresh. Room details, such as linens and coffee pots, are updated from time to time, and the beds are comfortable. In addition to the coffee makers in the room there is coffee in the lobby early in the morning. A buffet breakfast is available, and there is the option of ordering a la carte. A limited menu is available in the evening, but we've not tried that yet. This hotel is a great place to stay if one has meetings at the university or if one is visiting a student. The parking is convenient, and Tyler Mall is close by.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business