“Worst Marriott I've ever been to”

Courtyard by Marriott Riverside UCR/Moreno Valley Area
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
Denver
“Worst Marriott I've ever been to”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Checked in after midnight for a 1 night stay. We got to the room and pretty much passed out right away. Housekeeping was banging on the door at 8am and again at 8:15 trying to turnover the room so we got up and out of there quickly. Barely spent 8 hours there before we had to leave.

If it's the day of checkout, housekeeping isn't supposed to come by until you've left. I tried to talk to the staff about it and they said they would have the manager call me but didn't. I even called back because in the rush i left a personal belonging behind. Still haven't called me back and I guess I won't see it again.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Harriswes
CourtyardRiverside, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Riverside UCR/Moreno Valley Area, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Thank you for your honest feedback, we have addressed our team regarding this issue and we do apologize for the frustration you encountered. I know we have reached out to you in regards to this and to also make sure we can get your items back to you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Laguna Beach, California, United States
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Local vagrants were allowed to loiter around the pool. One loud, angry and disturbed individual repeatedly entered the hotel lobby and then slashed the tires of our car parked in the hotel's lot, right next to the building. This was not a family-friendly environment. I would not count on this hotel to lift a finger to safeguard your car. Unfortunately, we did not receive even a basic level of courtesy or customer service from the GM. He has been completely AWOL and non-responsive. He ignored us while we were guests raising concerns. He never responded to letters outlining concerns; and he failed to call despite the commitment by Marriott's Customer Service that he would do so. The young staff were friendly, but Marriott should be ashamed of the management of this property.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TGW2013
It is very unfortunate that your travels and stay were disrupted by a random act by someone not affiliated with the hotel. Please feel free to contact me here at the hotel to discuss further. We do take our security very seriously and we do our best to insure everyone has a pleasant and relaxing stay.
Sacramento
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I'm not sure why the floors are soo hot and the elevator is like a sauna. I'm not sure if they noticed but they are located probably under sea level with mountains around them, which means no breeze. I've entered my room and it was like walking into a sauna. I was worried there was no AC or if the AC was already turned on, but it was a bad impression that none of the rooms had AC on at room temperature prior to guest arrival. The room was okay, but once out of the room, I sweat all the way to the elevator and then even more in the elevator. The only good thing at this place was the complimentary breakfast. Again, it's okay, if you find a better place go for it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Matt N
CourtyardRiverside, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Riverside UCR/Moreno Valley Area, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
We do apologize for the heat in the hallways during your stay. The hotel had various renovation projects going including the elevator vents, which allowed the 106 degree heat to filter into the hotel and the floors. During this heat wave we did start turning on the AC units in rooms, and again we are sorry your room was warm during when you checked in.
We hope to see you again, and we will try to keep it cooler this time for you! And we are 847 feet above sea level and we only get around 10 inches a year in rain, so it does stay warm.
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed August 25, 2013

If you're studying at UCR for a short period and you don't want to share your room, it's a great option. It's near the International students' campus. The pool is small, but enough to relax on a hot day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
CourtyardRiverside, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Riverside UCR/Moreno Valley Area, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
Thank you very much for your review, and yes we love being so close to UCR. We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
Lufkin, Texas
Reviewed July 17, 2013

I had a reservation at another hotel, but when I arrived, I knew that I could not stay there for many reasons. Then I remembered I had passed a Courtyard. So I went back. The hotel is in the midst of a major lobby renovation, but the staff was friendly and the room was immaculate. I would have almost eaten off the floor.

The downside to this hotel was the breakfast offered. I have travelled a lot this summer and maybe I have grown used to good hotel breakfast offerings. Or maybe it had to do with the renovation, but this was not up to Marriott standards. The only hot thing offered was tasteless scrambled eggs. No salsa or even catsup to add any flavor. I looked for salt and pepper. One very small packet of each was packaged in with the plastic tableware. No microwave to heat up the breakfast pastries. I saw several people taste them and throw them away. A little heat helps that. Cold cereal....with fat-free milk? Not even a banana to put on the cereal. Apple or orange? Well, this is southern California. There were two people staffing the breakfast area and they were attentive. Just not up to what I expect from Marriott.

And I agree with the person who talked about the neighborhood. Near UCR, but sleazy!

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
CourtyardRiverside, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Riverside UCR/Moreno Valley Area, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
YES we are past the midway point of our renovation and we are very excited to be done and see our new lobby! We are very sorry that our breakfast set up for the renovation was not satisfactory for you. We did add ketchup and salsa to the limited buffet and I think you may have helped other travelers that followed you, so thank you very much for your comments.
We look forward to seeing you again!
Long Beach, California, United States
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I had a family event to attend in Riverside and the Courtyard was the closet hotel. We stood one night and the overall quality was good for the price we paid. Free parking, pool closed at 11 pm and local pizza deliveries were available till 3 am. Only downside is theirs not much to do in Riverside, or at least near the hotel that I saw. But overall they had great customer service and the rooms were comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony view, waking up to the view of the mountains was beautiful!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SassyCassie22
CourtyardRiverside, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Riverside UCR/Moreno Valley Area, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your great review! We are very glad you enjoyed the view of Box Springs from one of our balcony rooms, the other side of the hotel has more views of Downtown and Mt. Rubidoux in the distance. Let us know next time you are coming to Riverside and we can help suggest some fun things to do as well as nightlife in the area. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us!
Mesa, Arizona, United States
Reviewed May 22, 2013

You can tell this hotel has a GM that really cares about customer service. ALL of the staff that I interacted with (Front desk, Housekeeping and Maintenance) we all very friendly and very helpful. We had a situation where we needed 2 rooms together as my wife's 88 year old grandmother needs extra help with getting around. We had booked our room several week before she did and so they were not a joining rooms. The hotel was completely booked (youth soccer tournament), but they worked it out for us and got us 2 rooms together!

I highly recommend this Marriott if you need to stay in Riverside, CA.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Larry G
CourtyardRiverside, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Riverside UCR/Moreno Valley Area, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
We are so glad you had a great stay Larry G and we loved that we were able to accomodate your family needs. We look forward to seeing you again here at the Courtyard Riverside and thank you for the great review!!