“Got what I paid for”

Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
Los Angeles
“Got what I paid for”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

Booked this hotel to be able to attend the local airshow, however they cancelled the airshow at the last minute and this hotel had a no-show policy of a couple of days so was stuck having to go and stay there.

Really wanted to stay at the Mission Inn, but was way too expensive. So found this place close by so I could at least see the Mission Inn and see what all the fuss was about. This place was a couple of blocks away from the Mission Inn and close by to a the historic downtown. Lots of interesting places to see and all close to each other.

The hotel itself is really a large motel. They have daily room rentals on the building up front and monthly rentals in back. This looks like it might have been something special a long time ago, but appears to have added the parking on site, which takes away from what could be a hidden gem. The interiors are outdated and worn down. The floors and stairs creak and make noise. My room was on the second floor in the main building with the room being off the main corridor. It wound up being a corner room with high windows on the bed wall and a small balcony with double wooden balcony doors. The bathroom was a good size and appears to have been updated fairly recently. The room itself was a good size too as there was a full size and twin size bed. There was also a round table with a couple of chairs, a small fridge, and flat screen TV up on the wall. The sink was also in the bedroom, which is something you see more in European hotels or old historic hotels in the US. The beds were OK, nothing wonderful, but not disastrous.

There's really not much around, though I did go to the CVS across the street late at night to grab some milk and donuts to munch on. The parking lot is small and lucked out on getting the last spot just before checking in.

All in all for the price I knew what to expect and might stay here again if the price is same or lower and only needed to stay for a short while.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor to avoid noise from above.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank Beenaround73

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed April 6, 2012

This a very cost effective place to stay. If you're looking for updated and contemporary, then this is not the place for you. It's outdated, but clean. The hotel is located on a major street and you definitely can hear traffic and sirens. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Very close to the Mission Inn and next to a pharmacy. Starbucks is next door. There are plenty of restaurants within driving/walking distance.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Crazycruiser59
Vista
Reviewed December 8, 2011

We stayed here January 2011 and are making arrangements again for this January 2012. It was clean and comfortable. Some rooms are very small but the one we had was fine. Bathroom was good which is often a problem in economy motels. The grounds were cared for and staff was nice. Not everything was the greatest but for the place and money it was pretty good.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Williams, Arizona
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Staff was very friendly and accommodating.The room we were assigned was neat,clean and very charming.Santa Cruz Inn is a building of significant historical value which we simply loved!All in all we had a fantastic stay..will definitely go back!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
California
Reviewed August 18, 2011

First off, let me stress that I wasn't in the market to stay at a hotel for the ambiance during my trip. I just wanted a cheap hotel that was clean and located in the Riverside area. I had a very nice sized room with two queen size beds (forget room number, but room is right next to the coffee bar room). The bathroom was super itty-bitty and the amenities were a bit outdated.

I enjoyed the little coffee machine they had, which was especially useful to load up on before my long trip to the Salton Sea.

The parking was less than desirable, and I made sure to park fairly close to my room/the office because I was a little afraid people off the street might be curious to "explore" the contents of my truck.

Overall I wouldn't recommend this for a business trip or a special occasion, but if you need a crash pad that has a great rate and is outdated but clean, this is your place.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
4 Thank BuddhaInHeels
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed June 18, 2011

This place has a lot of charm, but also has some quirks. Overall, I would stay here again, but it's not your typical chain hotel. The setting is nice--it's right on Market Street across from the convention center, so if you come for some kind of conference or convention, you can't beat the location. The hotel itself is a Spanish-style, terracotta roof building, and has a nice little courtyard in front of all the rooms. Although you are right on Market St., it feels a bit more secluded (but you can hear the traffic quite well). I was staying by myself, so I requested a typical 2-queen room, but what I got was an apartment. My door led upstairs to a flat with two bedrooms (one with 2 queens, one with 1), a kitchen (with full-size fridge, stove, sink, and microwave), a balcony with a little seating area, and a big bathroom. They also have free wi-fi.

They offer a complimentary breakfast, but apparently only if you make a reservation ahead of time (weird, right?). When I inquired about where the breakfast could be found, the lady asked me if I had a reservation. I was confused, thinking she was asking me if I was checking in right now, so I said, "well, I'm in room ---." She kind of shook her head, like, "never mind." A few seconds later, after doing some typing, she said that the breakfast is only for guests who made reservations. I did, so I wasn't excluded, but I thought that was very odd.

It's definitely a quirky little place, but nice nonetheless. If you're looking for high-end, don't come here. If you're looking for a typical chain hotel room, don't come here. Otherwise, I think you'll like it.

Room Tip: Room 141 seems to be the only one with a balcony
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank MagNEATO
Palatine, Illinois
Reviewed September 22, 2010

No Wifi as promised, room 12 feet from busy road (noisy) and street lamp right outside window at night - think spotlight in your face while trying to sleep. No hot water in bathroom sink; I think you get the picture. But wait, the best part is I reserved room for three nights, stayed only one, but was on the hook for all three nights per their contract. Never again...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business