“Was NOT a romantic experience for us”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Mario's Place

Mario's Place
Ranked #11 of 701 Restaurants in Riverside
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Riverside, CA
“Was NOT a romantic experience for us”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2012

I will start off by saying that my husband & I loved the other 2 buildings this restaurant was located in before. Yes, they are now downtown and across the street from the Mission Inn, so you can walk around the area a bit after you eat. Our problem was not with the physical location, but was with our experience once we were inside. We had a reservation, and got in fairly quickly. We were seated at a small table that was so close to the tables next to us that the waiter had to turn sideways to walk between the tables. It was also loud. There were no noise absorbing things like carpet, etc. Bottom line is, it was not a romantic experience. We had to raise our voices to talk due to the noise, and felt like we had people right on top of us. The food and service is pretty good, but if I am going to spend that kind of money, I want the whole package. Good food, service and atmosphere. The food and service are fine, but in my opinion, the atmosphere is terrible. If you are lucky enough to get a booth, it would probably be a bit better.

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank KDG7

Seattle, Washington
“Wonderful place for a romantic evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

This is one of our favorite restaurants in Riverside. Located right across the street from the Mission Inn. The food is excellent, service has always been wonderful. Evening atmosphere is warm and cozy. We could spend hours drinking wine and chatting with friends. We even rented the restaurant on a Saturday afternoon for a post-wedding reception. We were not disappointed in any way.

• Visited November 2011
Oslo, Norway
“Great food, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

Food was great, service was great.
Its pricey, but the food and the service is well worth it!

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank Magnus N
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Don't bother if you are a party of one”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

I would rate it a 1, but that shows "terrible" and since I never even got to try the food, I figured "poor" better rated my experience at Mario's place.

Tuesday, 5/29/12

1st issue - rude phone skills
I should have known better when trying to call ahead that initially, I got voice mail. So I hung up, called back a few seconds later and someone answered the call with a very angry "What?"
I said "is this Mario's place?" "oh yeah, yes, so sorry, misunderstanding". All I wanted to do was confirm ahead of making a trip from my hotel over there was if they were busy or not. They said they weren't busy so I decided to give it a shot since everyone on TA generally gave this place great reviews, and my hotel had recommended.

2nd issue - no host/hostess
I parked in the garage out back, walked in and noticed the "old" smell to the place but dismissed it as it seemed like a great ambiance. However, there was no host. I stood there patiently waiting for them to return to the stand. They were not busy, although there were plenty of groups with large tables in the left dining area. I made eye contact with one server, no word said. Another gal came around, went and served water to a table, then went back to the room she came from. After about 5 mins of standing there, the 2nd gal finally came back out for something else and said "have you been helped?" I said no, and she asked where to sit, so I chose a table by the front window since the patio allows smoking.

3rd issue:
A rude water boy came and filled my cup, said not a word to me. (no, "your server will be with you shortly" or anything!)

4th issue:
I sat there another 10 minutes and the server never came. I grabbed my bag, my book and left the place. I didn't even bother to tell anyone why I was leaving, I didn't think it would matter.

This is the lack of service I experienced. Perhaps they thought my table wasn't worth enough since I was a part of 1?? However if I'm about to drop between $20-30 for an entree, you better have a host to greet me, a kinder water boy and the server better not take more than 10 minutes to come to my table!

Good luck.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank KKJACKS
Rancho Cucamonga, Ca
“Italian at its best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Dinner is a la carte, read the menu as each item is a separate order. The food is wonderful and they have a live jazz band after 10 p.m.

Visited April 2012