“Wonderful surprise in Riverside”
Review of Mario's Place

Mario's Place
Ranked #7 of 703 Restaurants in Riverside
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
US
“Wonderful surprise in Riverside”
Reviewed December 12, 2011

This Italian restaurant is well known, but when we went for the first time, the menu looked almost french but with italian names. First, when we told them we were celebrating our anniversary, they gave us a romantic window table. Next, the knowledgeable and friendly waiter greeted us. We ordered the calamari citrus salad to start, and it was unbelievable delicious. Then, we ordered confit de canard, which was perfectly paired with an Argentine red wine thanks to the advice of our waiter. The dessert was really french/italian: home made ice cream and tiramisu.
Excellent service and food, very reasonable prices for the quality.

Visited November 2011
1 Thank VacationsAreSoFun

Riverside, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Restaurant in the entire Inland Empire - MARIO'S PLACE!!! YUMMY!”
Reviewed June 11, 2011

I just visited Mario's Place with my 24 yr old daughter. We wanted to go somewhere elegant - where we could have fun visiting, eat great food, and try a new/unique cocktail and/or a perfectly paired glass of wine (we had both). Mario's Place is the PERFECT place for all the above. We decided to 'people-watch' and asked to be seated at what they call the 'back-bar' which overlooks the main dining room. This made our evening casual and relaxed; but, still intimate enough to enjoy our meal and each other's company. Our server, Jason, was awesome! He was knowledgeable and accommodating to our many requests. My daughter is a vegetarian and they offer a variety of wonderful vegetarian options (and will custom make food - if needed/desired). We both picked a drink off of their new cocktail drink menu . . . both were very different and amazing! We ordered three courses each, all of which were specials (not on the menu) and every course was a mouthwatering bite of heaven! I would describe them all - but, there really isn't enough space in this review to do so... (Highlights: Dungeness crab salad, with avocado; arugula salad, with lavender infused goat cheese, pears, pistachios; seared scallops; fava beans; sweet-pea tortellini, with asparagus, butter truffle sauce; and, a custom pesto pasta with sun dried tomatoes, pine nuts, shaved parmesan, grilled chicken). We shared a lovely glass of wine with our dinner. We couldn't finish all of our food and were unfortunately too full for dessert - next time!! Our evening was delightful start to finish. What a special way to spend the evening with my daughter . . . I can't wait to go again . . . perhaps tonight! Mouthwatering delicious!!!

• Visited June 2011
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“finally, good food in america!”
Reviewed May 20, 2011

I have eaten all over america, and other than finding some good sushi bars about the place, have never eaten what I would consider to be a quality meal. Mario's was fantastic, the waiter had impeccable knowledge of the menu and ingredients for dishes, and the service was great - attentive but not annoying. Food was also delicious, the chef clearly has talent and serves awesome food. Next time I come to Riverside I will definitely be making a reservation - we actually didn't have a reservation and were lucky to have what appeared to be the last table. (apparently a wait it common for a table)

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank bels5
Southern California
“Greatly Dissapointed”
Reviewed January 31, 2011

A business colleague and I went one evening about 2 weeks ago.

When we first got in asked the Bartender to see if they had a Martini menu he answered no and then was quiet... REALLY perhaps you should at that time suggest some that you make... RIGHT? so my business associate states pretty much this to him and he reluctantly (or so it seemed to us) gave us a suggestion. It was fabulous! I can't recall the name but it was something tropical. We then Ordered 2 appetizers Scallops with Carmelized Fennel and Pancetta Pizza -

meh, blah no flavors POPPING out at you, nothing that my palate was pleased to have. Dissapointing. Then my colleague mentions that a gentleman we guessed was the Manager kept walking through the restaurant... he spoke to several people, inquired about their evening and other chit chat... never ONCE came over to us and we sat there for nearly 2 hours.

Next time I will pass on Mario's I can find better places to drop $60.00 on 2 Martini's and light appetizers.

Respectfully Reviewed

• Visited January 2011
1 Thank Psboston7
Riverside, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yummilicious!!!”
Reviewed January 18, 2011

We come here for Valentines Day and all I can say is that it is so worth every penny. The romantic feel, service on point, food is bliss. My hubby proposed to me here 12 years ago on Valentines Day. This may make me bias, however I would never pay for nasty food year after year. From LA to San Diego I have eatten my fare share off great foods. Marios is in my top 5.

• Visited February 2010