“LARGE GROUP”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Riverside, California
“LARGE GROUP”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We celebrated a birthday at Anchos on a Saturday night. The place was packed with people waiting in line out the door. Moments after arriving the owner greeted us and has the wait staff bring chips and salsa to make out wait more comfortable.

Within ten minutes our party of 12 was seated. More chips and salsa as well as hot fresh tortillas arrived as we sat down. Our waitress, Nancy, was outstanding. She scurried about taking orders and making sure everyone was well served. The group ordered a variety of items, some with personal wants. When the orders were delivered they were all correct and delivered to the right person.

The plates were large and food was delicious. There was so much on the plate that almost everyone took home left overs, including newly delivered hot fresh tortillas.

The only thing that keeps Anchos from being a five was the noise. Probably due to the fully packed dining area, the noise was too much to converse with the person sitting next to you.

• Visited October 2013

• Korean first
“Good food good time”
Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

I have not been to Anchos in over a year. So glad we went back tonight. We had excellent food and even better service. We love the blended salsa. It is different than most places and definitely has a Southwest flair to it. The Steak Ranchero and the Halibut were outstanding. My wife had the Chicken Tacos and loved them. Sorry we have not been is a while, we will not wait so long again. (Harley3664 does not understand Southwest cooking)

Corona, California
“Not what we were expecting..”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We will never go back to Ancho's again. We usually give new restaurants we try three different chances to get it right but this one failed in so many ways. There were some good points though. The fresh, home made tortillas were very good and the Inland Empire Brewery beer was great. Many people talk about the tortillas but there has to be more to a Mexican restaruant than that. As for everything else.....We were told it would be a 10 minute wait, no problem, we will sit in the bar and have a drink first. After about five minutes a girl came by, said hi, dropped off some chips and salsa then left, never to be seen again. The salsa, which I would think should be a shining star in a Mexican restaurant was so over blended that it was foaming and was very bland. We did get our table within 10 minutes and after being seated we noticed how LOUD this restaurant is. It is just one BIG room for the bar and restaurant and it is noisy. We could barely hear ourselves talking to each other from across the small table that wobbled. Of couse we got some more chips and salsa :( We order drinks and like I said the beer was great but the margarita my wife ordered was served in a beer glass and I think they forgot to put any alcohol in it. We ordered our food and were very surprised to have it come out very fast considering how busy the place seemed to be (a plus). My wife ordered the beef tacos and I ordered the beef Enchilada. The beef was the same for both and was flavorless and dry. I thought I would ask for a little hot sauce and the waiter came out with a new bottle of Habanero sauce that I could have bought at the store. Again, I figure a Mexican restaurant would have some homemade hot sauce. We ordered the Guacamole to go with our dinner and it was fresh but I could have mashed some avocados at home, cut up some tomato skins and put them in a bowl......no flavor, just avaocados. The floors were dirty with food, trash and used silverware including the food prep area which was completely visible from our table...YUCK! Overall the experience was not good in so many ways. I looked this restaurant up by asking for the best Mexican food/restaurant in Riverside. This was the restaurant that came up, in fact, it was named the #1 restaurant for Mexican food by a couple of different sources. I don't know what the reviewers had to eat but I can get better food at Rodrigo's and certainly at the Mission Inn in Riverside where they make the guacamole at your table and serve margaritas in a margarita glass. The restaurant was busy, I will give them that, but we will not be going back for a 2nd or 3rd chance. Don't waste your time or money.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Harley5664
Bennington, Nebraska
“Loved the Hot Tortillas”
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

We had a group of 6, were waited on promptly, and had some great chips, salsa and HOT freshly made tortillas. I was almost full by the time lunch arrived. The food was very good, and the staff very attentive. Even late into the meal, they still brought out tortillas, so we had plenty to take home

Visited September 2013
“How can you pass up a homemade tortilla?”
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Excellent service. Food was good, not great. Homemade tortillas are the bomb. Salsa a bit spicey. Taco salad was ok, drenched in salad dressing. Everyone else in our party seemed to enjoy their meals. Service was excellent despite taco salad arriving when everyone else was about done. Owner comp'd the salad which was so nice. We'd go back.

• Visited September 2013