“Loved the Pork Tamales!”
Review of The Tamale Factory

The Tamale Factory
Ranked #23 of 714 Restaurants in Riverside
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I loved that I could order a la carte--I wasn't that hungry and the tamale I ordered hit the spot! I had them put both green and red sauce on it as I coudn't pick. My daughter ordered the Hannah Salad and ate the entire thing. Hubby was stoked they had green corn tamales--his favorite. Next time we are in Riverside, this is the place for us!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

The food here is pretty decent but, considering what they are charging, I think the portions are a little on the skimpy side. However, I worked with a lady who knew the owner. She always got one of the salads to go. She would walk into our office with a huge salad. It would look so yummy that I would go over and get the same thing. Sadly, my salad would usually be about half the size and would not include as much chicken or carnitas as my co-worker would get. Good food but if you're hungry bring along someone that's a friend of the owners.

2  Thank Donna D
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have been a loyal customer at Tamale Factory for the four and a half years I have worked in downtown Riverside, but I will never eat here again!

I have been going to Tamale Factory about 1-3 times a month, and I always go back and forth between getting a couple of tacos, a carne asada burrito, and my old stand-by: a bean and cheese with lettuce. Well, about a month ago, I ordered my usual b&c burrito with lettuce, and was informed that I would be charged the price of a vegetarian burrito. A vegetarian burrito comes with the beans and cheese, plus rice, guacamole, onions, cilantro, tomato, lettuce, sour cream.... And costs $3 more!

I thought that couldn't be right. After all, I wasn't asking for anything but a little lettuce. So, I went in to talk to the owner. She was completely unwilling to even consider another option! I told her I'd even be willing to pay $1 extra for some damn lettuce, and she still said I'd be charged the full price of a vegetarian burrito!

Well, you know what? There are three more Mexican food joints in walking distance that never think of charging me for LETTUCE of all things. I liked the convenience and ambiance of the Tamale Factory, but it's obvious they don't care one whit about customer service. I have ordered food from that restaurant 1-3 times a month for the last four years, but they will never receive another dime from me OR any of the friends I take to lunch!

4  Thank Tiffany K
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We had literally been wanting to try this place for a few years but the restaurant is only open Monday through Friday and closes at 2:00 p.m. We were able to drop in one Saturday as they were open. I guess they were only doing take-out tamale orders because the tamales were cold. That was fine because we wanted them to go. The individual tamale prices are outrageous at $4.25 each, $26 a dozen. (The $26 is more or less on par with other places but they pro-rate the price for individual tamales). The disappointment was the tamales themselves- small, mostly masa, skimpy meat filling and lacking flavor. We tried both the pork and chicken varieties. Would not recommend them. The breakfast/lunch menu lists burritos, tacos, enchiladas, tostadas and breakfast (until 10 a.m.) includes egg dishes. Probably would not try the other menu items since the "signature" dish was disappointing.

4  Thank 101travelers