“Piglicious!”

The Salted Pig
Ranked #8 of 701 Restaurants in Riverside
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hesperia, California
“Piglicious!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I love downtown Riverside and waited until I had a babysitter for my two little boys so my husband and I could check out The Salted Pig. The name alone intrigued me. Are gastro pubs the modern answer to medieval watering holes? I had read that the place is pretty busy on the weekends. They open at 5 pm on Saturdays so we arrived about 5:25 pm. The place was already busy but there was only a couple people waiting for a table. We were told it would be about 15 minutes but after about 7 or 8 minutes we were seated. By that time, the place was full. I mean really full! The waiting area was packed. I was pretty happy that we had came so early.

Service was fast and our waiter was terrific. We decided to really experience 'the pig' so we started with the filthy fries that had cracklin dust sprinkled on top. These were excellent. My husband ordered the pork belly sandwich and I ordered the pig 2.0. We also, trepidatiously, ordered the candied bacon ice cream. It was all so good! I also tried the Foxbarrel Pear Cider. It was so light and refreshing and the perfect accompaniment for all the salty porky goodness. The Salted Pig has a great laid back atmosphere with great music playing in the background. Even though it's not stuffy, I would leave the kids at home and enjoy a night out with your significant other or a group of friends. Even if you don't live around Riverside (which I do not), I would recommend the trek from anywhere in SoCal to visit The Salted Pig.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank StacyRW79

Laguna Beach, California
“Fantastic Food and Beer”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I dined at the Salted Pig with a friend while visiting the local University. We sat at the Chef's counter and we were able to watch the Chefs prepare the meals. At first I was skeptical about sitting at the counter but found the overall experience enjoyable and educational.

I started with the popcorn cooked in pig fat and the pig board as appetizers. Wow. The popcorn is amazing. For a main entree I had the Tomato sandwich grilled. The grilled tomato sandwich was fantastic and the house made ketchup for the fries was spicy and memorable. My friend ordered the fish, which he said, was above average. The staff was extremely attentive and knowledgeable and able to answer our numerous questions.

Why 4 instead of 5 stars? My major gripes had to do with the environment. Why do restaurants keep the lighting so low? The lighting in this establishment is on the dark side so if you are visually impaired bring a flashlight to read the menu and daily specials. The music was also a bit loud and obnoxious. I had to lean into my friend to carry on casual conversation. Brighter lighting, and softer music...

Without hesitation, I would recommend this establishment for casual dining and better than average food in Riverside.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank USMCCowboy
“Vile salty food”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This food was a waste of money. WAY too salty. So salty I felt sick. End of story. I really don't understand why my peers love this joint, the environment is OK but seriously, it was pretty disgusting.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Katspeaker
Riverside, California
“Not much for the money”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Over priced. How about a $15.00 hamburger that is overcooked? Very simple decor - could be a diner. Loud.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank adwrd
germantown, md
“Just Plain Fun”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

If you're in Riverside, this place is a must. The food is quite good, although not exceptional. The wait staff were all having fun, which really helps the whole experience. The ambiance is amazing, and the selection of beers - both on draft and in bottles - is among the most extensive that I've ever seen. The menu is best described as eclectic, including things like roasted marrow bone, bacon fat popcorn (delicious), and a "platter of pig parts". Didn't try that one. Our table of four had a great time. You've got to approach the place with an open mind, Snooty eaters need not apply.

• Visited February 2013