“Upscale Bar Food and Some Handcrafted Beer to Boot”
Review of The Salted Pig

The Salted Pig
Ranked #11 of 703 Restaurants in Riverside
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
riverside, ca
“Upscale Bar Food and Some Handcrafted Beer to Boot”
Reviewed February 3, 2012

My husband was craving a burger, and since he eats less red meat these days I decided that if he wanted a "better" burger, we should finally try The Salted Pig. The PE did a newspaper review several months ago which I think is fair but although we generally enjoyed the food, there are a few critiques. The restaurant is downtown in a building that used to be an antique shop. The owner truly gutted the entire building and updated it entirely. Very modern and clean. As a compliment, it is an upscale bar. They are open late and have a banquet room also. Problems-not a single window and although the bare bulb lighting is chic, the lack of windows and the positioning of the lighting plus not quite enough lighting made me feel like I was in an eastern european basement. It needs to be amended. The menu is simple, pork, fish, some vegetarian, no chicken, a bit of beef, with changing specialty plates. The beef is from San Diego, the veggies are "local" also, but I didnt get an exact answer as to where. They are pondering the idea of a sustainable garden in the city proper also. Since it is downtown parking can be an issue depending on the day/time you choose. It is metered until 6pm. We were able to park in front at 6 for free no problem.
We started with beer. They do have about 8 handcrafted, including a strawberry lambic and a dark "bobo's" for my husband. Both were excellent. In fact I say you should order them both and alternate your sipping. We also ordered a 4 3 ounce flight of a few of their others including their judas yeast(not bad) but the 1st two were the best. They do have a decent bottled variety also.
We split the filthy fries-garlic, cheese, etc- and dipped in the house made spicy ketchup. Very tasty, One hungry guy could eat the whole plate easy.
Husband had the pig burger-bacon,beef, egg, on brioche- side option either fries or fruit and he had fruit-fresh blackberries, blueberries, strawberries in fair amount. Husband said that burger was good but certainly not the best he had had and that the slightly larger than slider size of each half was too messy to eat. He also stated that the egg didn't add to the taste. I think it should have been over very easy or spicier to be beneficial, otherwise it was just extra cholesterol. He said it was filling.
I ate the smoked fish sandwich with fruit. I initially took a while to decide due to an effort to evaluate a menu that had made an effort to bring flavor beyond fried, bbq, ranch, buffalo, etc to its customers. The piece of albacore was huge and the smoke flavor was just right. The mustard was tangy but not overpowering and the pear was a nice touch. The problem? The fish was dry, the pear was sliced to thick to compensate and taking a bite brought out the whole slice and the mustard was a bit too sparse. That was the disappointment because the flavor and quality was there but technically it was a sloppy presentation and they shouldve checked the fish before they sent it out. I was really full by the time I finished what I could.
The fish was good and we both liked our meals, not to mention the service was very attentive and knowledgeable, but they definitely need to take more care.
For the two of us including tip it was $74 out the door, no dessert.
The lambic was 9, porter was 8, sandwiches about 13 or 15, beer flight 12.
Not cheap, but good quality, and they better work on some of that prep and the lighting. We will go back because it is worth it, but as i have said before, second time if there are real food problems that's one time away from the last time.
I recommend this for business pros, lunches, casual finer dining, and if you just want to try their beer. Ok for a drink date or maybe their bar scene at night also.

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank gili

Hemet
“A Signature Establishment”
Reviewed January 11, 2012

The restaurant was chosen by our friends based on online reviews. Eight of us were attending Mr. Fezziwig's Ball at the Riverside Convention Center and wanted to have a good meal at a restaurant that would not be as impacted as those closer to the Center. It was Saturday night about 5:40 when we (eight of us) arrived. We had our table by 6:00 (no reservations accepted). this is an English Pub modeled restaurant which specializes in microbrews on tap and a large assortment of microbrew and specialty brews in the bottle.

The place is about conversation and good times with friends! There is a small bar area with a television in the corner, seating about ten. There is also a Kitchen Bar with about twelve seats. Upstairs can seat about ninty people. There is only the one television! What a delight.

There is also a room downstairs that seats 130 according to the website. I don't know if that was open or not.

None of us were drinking, so i have no personal recommendations regarding the brews. The crowd there certainly would suggest they are doing things well.

Food was something unique too. The servings are generally more "gourmet" in size, which was unexpected. For appetizers we shared two "Dirty Fries" and a "Glazed almond" offering that were both very good. Their hamburgers were quite large, and delicious from what I was told. I personally had the albacore sandwich, a good quantity of meat, great bread, and a mustard dressing that was memorable. A small side of cole slaw was included. Two of our party each had a pasta plate which resembled a small side order on a dinner plate. These were the only things that I would say were too small.

I would return, and try some of their other offerings. Food and service were all enjoyable.

• Visited January 2012