“More than a place to stay - a tourist destination”

The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
calgary
“More than a place to stay - a tourist destination”
Reviewed February 11, 2011

If you just want a cheap place to stay overnight, skip this place. The prices are higher here, but there is a lot to the place. It was built over a long time, so everything is not always easy to find, but you can spend hours just walking around the hotel looking for quirky art work, interesting views, weird architecture, and much more. Go to the balconies overloking the courtyard restaurant and just look around - you will see hidden balconies, gargoyles, stained glass windows, etc. Also look for the atrium open air stairway at the back of the hotel, and try to find how to get there, a real challenge.

Great restaurants in and around the hotel.
Great pool as well.

If you have time, take the tour, we didn`t have time, but heard comments from those who did - well worth the time.

The rooms are not large, and are quite old, but all have the charm and elegance of a classy hotel.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
Garden Grove, California
Reviewed January 15, 2011

We wanted to see the big display that presented from Nov~Dec, a Holiday Spectacular!! this place is awesome to see and we stayed there for 2 days and a small pre-Anniversary treat and what a treat it was!!
not only was the nightly lights display a scene to remember but the service was great, the room service personnel was a welcomed greeting and the food was scrumptious. the decor in the lobby area was very welcoming and i loved the surrounding patio within the Mission. most of all i loved the room, with a splendid view from our patio..this room was heaven to enjoy. we would recommend this as a must see to believe. we rate this place with a high 10... :)

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
los angeles
Reviewed January 3, 2011

I have lived in Los Angeles for many years and am very familiar with the Mission Inn. I considered having my wedding reception at this hotel. I was very excited when my husband arranged a little get away for us at the Mission Inn during the holiday season. It was a true disappointment.

First - it was impossible to eat there. We had to have a reservation to eat breakfast! Although we attempted to eat early, seats were not available for several hours later. This was also the case for dinner the night before. If the staff had informed us upon check in, we would have been prepared, but were very disappointed that we could not enjoy a meal in the Spanish Patio. When we were turned away for breakfast, I asked the concierge for some recommendations and he sent us to a ugly little restaurant 7 blocks away. Is there really nothing else in downtown Riverside?

Second - The owners or "Keepers of the Inn" seem to think that everyone who visits the hotel is there to see them. Everything is named after them and their pictures are plastered all over the building and across the street. It really brings down the elegance of the hotel.

Third -The festival of lights is a huge disappointment. It looks like the hotel owners raided a home depot after christmas sale and put up whatever they found all over the building. Such a shame to see the beautiful hotel dressed up in such a cheap way.

In short, to appreciate the architecture and history of the hotel, just pay for the tour, make a reservation for the meal, and then drive back to LA because there is nothing in Riverside. You reallly don't gain much by staying at the Mission Inn.

3 Thank mimer9600
ca.,usa
Reviewed January 1, 2011

This is a museum not a hotel. We checked-in after working our way thru long line at front desk. No dinner res. avail. Told the resturants would open at 5:30 so went to put name in, told we could get in at 8;30. After dinner went to bed. Extremely large, noisy, loudspeaker, function was going on adjacent to this room(weweren't invited). Called desk got 3 differant answers as to when it would be over. After first time was passed, called desk and said we were leaving. Front desk people were not helpful, but have received refund after calling hotel three days later.
Obviously reuined our day/night etc

5 Thank schliess
Los Angeles Area
Reviewed December 28, 2010

We thought this was a fun little getaway to get in the Christmas spirit. A relatively short drive from Los Angeles, Mission Inn in Riverside is a surprise in the middle of, well, Riverside! A huge, rambling hotel built in three phases starting in 1876 and ending in 1931. During this holiday season it is all decked out in 3.5 MILLION lights and hundreds of dancing Christmas characters. Very festive. Take the tour that is offered several times a day to get the full scope of this amazing building. We booked a special at $329 which included a suite, the tour, and a $50 gift card to be used anywhere in the hotel and a $15 parking voucher. The room had French doors opening onto a small balcony overlooking the decorated courtyard. An odd-shaped room with the bed in the main room, a hallway leading to a bathroom, which lead to a sitting room, which lead to a round look-out tower. All the rooms are different. A comfortable bed, robes, and nice bath products were a nice touch. Good staff, too. Dinner at their fine dining restaurant Duane's was excellent. The spa looked very nice but we did not have enough time to indulge. The surrounding shopping area was OK but not much variety. I think staying here for one night is plenty. We had fun getting lost and marveling at the history of this mis-placed hotel.

Orange, California
Reviewed December 19, 2010

My girlfriend and I bought this at a silent auction so I wasn't sure how it would be. The traffic from OC was bad getting there on a Friday night but once there we were mesmerized. All the Christmas lights were on display and it truly transformed su into a vacation mode. Our auction included an upgraded room on the third floor over looking the pool nad all the Christmas lights. I highly recommend it. There was a Keurig coffee maker in our room (I have one so again another plus) and a flat screen TV! We were greeted with several items in our room including the Mission Inn book which we got to keep and killer cupcakes from the hotel bakery. then to dinner across the street aat Mario's. I had no idea it was Italian as it was all organized for us with a sit down dinner. It was one of the best steaks I have ever eaten. I would eat there again and again. the chef perpared it perfectly. they never asked us how we wanted it and I can see why because they do it best. We had butternut squash soup and I scapped my soup bowl it was so good. We also had soem wonderful wine there too.Then we walked to a beautiful, quaint, theater to see Brett Michaels. (The main reason we bought the Auction item!) It was a wonderful show. After the concert, we went back to Mario's where they have live jazz and the back of the restaurant has DJ.. Then went over to the bar in the hotel and had a late night drink with the rests of our group. the next day we walked around the hotel to see more of it, and checked out the spa. I will definitely come back for that some day! We ate lunch across the street ath te Hidaway which was very good and a lot of food for a cheap price. My only regret is that I hadn't stayed there sooner. I loved it so much. i would for sure go back again. Both my friend and I said our husbands would have loved it but we didn't really know what to expect. The bed is the best I have ever slept on . I stripped it looking for the tag and I couldn't find it. If anyone knows what brand it is I would love to buy one some day. Go at Christmas as it is truly a wonderful time to spend there. They also have horse drawn carriages but we didn't do this activity. I was already inquiring at the front desk to maybe come back in a few days with the family.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank finnme92869
Reviewed December 15, 2010

We went on December 15th 2010. The lights were pretty but the crowds they attract, are insane. There were so many people that hotel guests definitely do not get the service they are paying for. It is not a good value. We started trying to eat at the hotel before five and found nothing available. We ended up driving about four miles away and had the worst meal I have had in a long time. They are a victim of their own success. Not sure I will ever go back. Left a bad taste in my mouth. The hotel is not bad but avoid the festival of lights.... Not worth it.

• Stayed December 2010