“This is a zoo”

Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
ca.,usa
“This is a zoo”
Reviewed January 1, 2011

This is a museum not a hotel. We checked-in after working our way thru long line at front desk. No dinner res. avail. Told the resturants would open at 5:30 so went to put name in, told we could get in at 8;30. After dinner went to bed. Extremely large, noisy, loudspeaker, function was going on adjacent to this room(weweren't invited). Called desk got 3 differant answers as to when it would be over. After first time was passed, called desk and said we were leaving. Front desk people were not helpful, but have received refund after calling hotel three days later.
Obviously reuined our day/night etc

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank schliess

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
Los Angeles Area
Reviewed December 28, 2010

We thought this was a fun little getaway to get in the Christmas spirit. A relatively short drive from Los Angeles, Mission Inn in Riverside is a surprise in the middle of, well, Riverside! A huge, rambling hotel built in three phases starting in 1876 and ending in 1931. During this holiday season it is all decked out in 3.5 MILLION lights and hundreds of dancing Christmas characters. Very festive. Take the tour that is offered several times a day to get the full scope of this amazing building. We booked a special at $329 which included a suite, the tour, and a $50 gift card to be used anywhere in the hotel and a $15 parking voucher. The room had French doors opening onto a small balcony overlooking the decorated courtyard. An odd-shaped room with the bed in the main room, a hallway leading to a bathroom, which lead to a sitting room, which lead to a round look-out tower. All the rooms are different. A comfortable bed, robes, and nice bath products were a nice touch. Good staff, too. Dinner at their fine dining restaurant Duane's was excellent. The spa looked very nice but we did not have enough time to indulge. The surrounding shopping area was OK but not much variety. I think staying here for one night is plenty. We had fun getting lost and marveling at the history of this mis-placed hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Orange, California
Reviewed December 19, 2010

My girlfriend and I bought this at a silent auction so I wasn't sure how it would be. The traffic from OC was bad getting there on a Friday night but once there we were mesmerized. All the Christmas lights were on display and it truly transformed su into a vacation mode. Our auction included an upgraded room on the third floor over looking the pool nad all the Christmas lights. I highly recommend it. There was a Keurig coffee maker in our room (I have one so again another plus) and a flat screen TV! We were greeted with several items in our room including the Mission Inn book which we got to keep and killer cupcakes from the hotel bakery. then to dinner across the street aat Mario's. I had no idea it was Italian as it was all organized for us with a sit down dinner. It was one of the best steaks I have ever eaten. I would eat there again and again. the chef perpared it perfectly. they never asked us how we wanted it and I can see why because they do it best. We had butternut squash soup and I scapped my soup bowl it was so good. We also had soem wonderful wine there too.Then we walked to a beautiful, quaint, theater to see Brett Michaels. (The main reason we bought the Auction item!) It was a wonderful show. After the concert, we went back to Mario's where they have live jazz and the back of the restaurant has DJ.. Then went over to the bar in the hotel and had a late night drink with the rests of our group. the next day we walked around the hotel to see more of it, and checked out the spa. I will definitely come back for that some day! We ate lunch across the street ath te Hidaway which was very good and a lot of food for a cheap price. My only regret is that I hadn't stayed there sooner. I loved it so much. i would for sure go back again. Both my friend and I said our husbands would have loved it but we didn't really know what to expect. The bed is the best I have ever slept on . I stripped it looking for the tag and I couldn't find it. If anyone knows what brand it is I would love to buy one some day. Go at Christmas as it is truly a wonderful time to spend there. They also have horse drawn carriages but we didn't do this activity. I was already inquiring at the front desk to maybe come back in a few days with the family.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank finnme92869
Reviewed December 15, 2010

We went on December 15th 2010. The lights were pretty but the crowds they attract, are insane. There were so many people that hotel guests definitely do not get the service they are paying for. It is not a good value. We started trying to eat at the hotel before five and found nothing available. We ended up driving about four miles away and had the worst meal I have had in a long time. They are a victim of their own success. Not sure I will ever go back. Left a bad taste in my mouth. The hotel is not bad but avoid the festival of lights.... Not worth it.

• Stayed December 2010
1 Thank Wrohrer55
San Francisco, Ca
Reviewed December 5, 2010

We arrived at the Hotel with the holiday season in full swing. Our room seemed nice enough and we went out to dinner. However, when we returned, there was a hard-driving function next door, which brought the party into our room as well. (There was a shared wall ). When we called the front desk they said the party was booked until midnight. We asked to change our room and we were told there were none to be had. (our thought was why would you book anyone into this room in the first place) Security came to see us and basically told us "too bad". I called down to the desk again to tell them that we were leaving the hotel - it was 10 pm) They found another room for us conveniently but not before chuckling at our ordeal over the phone.
When we finally arrived at our new room (we waited for a wayward bellhop to delivery the keys ) the new room looked like it had been 'partied' in by an employee or two. There was
chewed gum on the counter next to the bed. The bathroom had been used and a belt was
laying about. Someone had made coffee and left a mess and the window was wide open
and the room smelled of smoke. We attempted to call down to the front desk but the telephone was not working. I went down to the desk and was told to wait for a maid
to clean up the mess. This whole debacle took all evening. The next morning we went down for an early breakfast prior to the Hotels Sunday Brunch event. We were seated in the dining room and there we sat waiting and waiting and waiting for someone, anyone to come over and take our order. It would be humorous if this trip wasn't so disappointing. We had been invited by some work colleagues who book a block of rooms every year and we had been really looking forward to enjoying the Inn and spending some time relaxing in our room. Next year we will give it a pass.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
5 Thank SpinMargie
Riverside, California
Reviewed November 20, 2010

The property is simply amazing, it’s like visiting a European village without leaving the premises. The Sunday brunch included the most elaborate spread I have enjoyed. Our room, La Vista de Rubidoux, featured four arched windows that would swing open to allow the cool, dry California air in. The view of the mountain was beautiful, especially at sunset. While exploring the property during the day is filled with architectural treats, it is at night when the property really comes alive and is simply mesmerizing! I would stay here again and again! Wow, would I have kicked myself if I had decided to stay at the less expensive Marriott just a block away.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rupeeler
La Jolla, Ca.
Reviewed November 18, 2010

I have been lucky enough to have stayed at The Mission Inn quite a few times over the last 15 years or so, and have always enjoyed my stays. I am very particular as to where I lay my head down when traveling, and usually opt for newer hotels. But The Mission Inn has been my first choice if I am anywhere near Riverside. I have stayed in several of the Mission Rooms on the 4th floor and a few nights on the 3rd floor with rooms that face into the inner courtyard and The Mission restaurant.
Service has always been very good. Cleanliness as well. On my last stay I was happy to see some very tasteful refinements to the rooms. Parking is easy either self or valet.
I have put up groups that I was working with, as many as 5 or so rooms at a time, and everyone was always happy with the Inn. The restaurants that I have tried have been great, including Duanes (very rich!), The Mission Inn Restaurant, and Las Campanas. Also across the street is a wonderful Italian restaurant "Mario's".
As I looked over some of the reviews here I noticed some being disappointed with their rooms. I have stayed in one of the rooms that overlook the pool area, and they did seem pretty plain, so my recommendation would be to study the rooms available, ask some questions to the staff, and choose carefully.
This is a great place, more then a hotel in many ways.
I'd especially like to thank the staff the night we arrived a few weeks ago, on a drive in from Joshua Tree, for 3 rooms, she really took good care of us.
And one more thing, take some time and go exploring around the hotel and all it's hidden treasures, you'll be amazed! And the surrounding neighborhood has some interesting places and a lot of character.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple