The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$89
$84
$79
$90
1,720 results
All reviewsfestival of lightspresidential loungehistoric hotellas campanascupcakesthe mexican restaurantnooks and cranniesholiday seasonold world charmmillion lightsevery cornerone of a kindbucket listbeautiful architecturevalet parkingwedding receptionthird floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 3, 2007

my husband and i stayed at the mission inn on our wedding night because we are riversiders, weren't leaving for our honeymoon for another day, and didn't want to just go home.

we checked in wearing full wedding attire.. my husband was wearing his tuxedo and i was wearing the big white dress. the clerk (someone i recognized as being a former member of my high school's band) looked at us like we were insane, but checked us into the room fairly smoothly.

we trekked up two flights of stairs because the elevators are small and notoriously slow. we went into our room and immediately recognized that someone was still living there. so we went back downstairs and explained that someone was already staying in that room. the band guy/clerk apologized and put us in another room, which was otherwise uninhabited.

we ordered a couple of cheeseburgers from room service because we'd hardly eaten anything at the reception. service was prompt, the delivery guy was friendly, and the burgers were excellent.

in the end, our stay proved what i've always known about the mission inn: it calls itself high-class, but it's run by college kids and filled with intoxicated, middle-aged locals and fancy-pants wannabes. even owner duane roberts stays in the OC.

(side note: kelly's spa, while over-priced, is worth it if you feel like treating yourself. nail services are nothing special (except for the summer poolside margarita manicure), but massage and facial are great. staff is friendly and well-trained.)

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank NICOLEandJACOB
Reviewed January 1, 2007

I grew up in Riverside but currently live in Arizona. My husband and I went back to Riverside for our wedding and decided to have our honeymoon begin at the Mission Inn... The rooms are ok ( I say that because the Mission is older so some of the rooms are small), but we stayed for the history and the beautiful sites. The Mission Inn is a site to see.. We walked all around and toured as much as we could. We had breakfast there and were pleased. It is just such a wonderful place to visit and make sure you go all through the lobby and the chapel... It takes you away to a different time - it is a romantic place for a honeymoon, birthday, anniversary, etc.....

• Stayed: October 2002, traveled as a couple
1  Thank devotedtoarizona
Reviewed November 2, 2006

I celebrated my 50th birthday at the Mission Inn and I was very impressed with the hotel. My husband and I booked a standard room w/AAA discount through the Mission Inn website. I used some recommendations from other Trip Advisor reviews to ask for a good room in a nice location. We stayed in Room 106. It was spacious, clean, and quiet with a large balcony overlooking the swimming pool. Everything was in good working order. The hotel staff was attentive and promptly accommodated our requests. We had a delicious dinner at the Mission Inn restaurant. I would definitely come back to this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Janis B
Reviewed October 15, 2006

I have now stayed on business at The Mission Inn eight times spread over 5 years. I can say categorically that reception is the worst, most uncaring, ungracious and inefficient of any hotel in the USA of this supposed quality. Rooms and suites have improved over the years but there is still a lot of improvement needed. Our Mission Room this stay, whilst spacious and quite light and airy, had major faults in my view. The bathroom is pathetically small and the half bath really no more than a shower tray. Wardrobe space was negligible and the sliding wardrobe doors didn't slide. Handles fell off the 'new' chest of drawers. AC didn't work properly so on this trip it was a case of put up with stuffy hot air or open the windows and try to sleep through the railway noises (a perpetual problem here which, in fairness, they can't do much about - except fix the AC). Our alarm call never came and one of my colleagues call came 30 minutes late. Not a big surprise from the front desk of this place.

On the plus side Duane's is a good, if simple, restaurant whose staff are the caring antithesis of those at the front desk. The bars and the more casual restauarants are fun and the service generally good. Woe betide you, however, if you have the temerity to ask for anything other than their 'famous' Sunday Brunch between mid morning and late afternoon on a Sunday.

In short I have never been asked by reception staff if I have enjoyed my stay or if everything was OK. The general feeling is that you are very lucky to be allowed to stay there. Why have I stayed eight times now? I really don't know, but my next overnights in Riverside in November will be spent at the Marriott.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
8  Thank Taskmaster
Reviewed September 3, 2006

I booked a room over the internet for a same night stay, the room had been paid for when my "offer" had been accepted. The hotel couldn't find my reservation, was surprised to learn I had made my reservation that day as they were sold out for Labor Day weekend. After some back and forth a room was found (Room 147, first floor). The room was rather warm, but the air was working, just really not cooling it down much. The hotel staff provided a fan and all was right with the world. I cannot say enough how much I loved my stay at this fabulous hotel. I have stayed in many hotels, and I never got over the "WOW" factor during my stay at this one. It is absolutely gorgeous and top notch in every way. We relaxed in the Presidential Lounge, had a shrimp cocktail that turned out to be huge prawns and was a meal in itself. Dinner was at Duanes, a most elegant restaurant. I particularly enjoyed the warm spinach salad and the bananas foster. I had arranged for turn down service and it was done in a lovely fashion. The beds were very comfortable, the housekeeping fantastic, noise was never an issue. We attended the Sunday Brunch and it was "all that" plus some. The food was wonderful, the presentation of the food jaw dropping, the staff attentive to keeping our glasses full of fresh orange juice and champagne. Most decadent. We attended a tour of the hotel and greatly enjoyed hearing about the hotel. I would return to this hotel in a heartbeat. It would be the perfect place for a wedding and honeymoon.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple