“Charm, ambiance and a bit of medievil Spain in Riverside” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa

The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
Los Angeles
“Charm, ambiance and a bit of medievil Spain in Riverside”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

Stayed one night at this historic hotel. Takes up about one square block and is monstrous in size and proportions. I believe it was built in the early part of the 20th century but furnished and decorated with lots of medieval Spanish antiques. Architecturally stunning. One of the few hotels that I enjoyed just slowly walking each floor and especially the roof to see the architectural features. Had a single queen room that was a bit small but it was clean, AC, mini-bar, LCD TV. Bathroom was smallish but with granite top. Bed was very comfortable. Had one chair and a small table in the room. Price was about $129/nt + tax and $15/nt parking. Pool was large and clean. Had a Jacuzzi medium size and hot. Grounds were well maintained and garden-like. Sits adjacent to a pedestrian street with lots of small restaurants. I do highly rate this hotel and will likely come back.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
Fresno, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2014

Loved the architecture of this hotel. I wandered around and was amazed at all the "nooks and crannies" that kept appearing, some of which you are not allowed to go into (some of these have very short doors, often with windows that you can peak through to see steps and a landing or a set of steps leading somewhere you cannot see).
It takes a little getting used to the fact that when they refer to the 1st floor they actually mean the second floor and so on. The first floor is referred to as the ground floor and after that they start the floor numbers. When staying where, be sure to wander around and visit the four levels. Take the stairs for a little exercise or take the elevators, it's all interesting. Be careful when wandering around as some of the floors have slight slopes. I discovered this as I was so busy looking and admiring that an occasional slope would catch me off guard and if one is not careful, one could lose their balance.
The outside restaurants and their surrounding gardens are lit up at night to add a real festive appearance. And don't forget your swimming outfit as there is a gorgeous pool.
While there I also took in an optional tour ($13 at the museum on the corner, check for times) led by two hosts that cover some areas you can only access with them as they have the keys. Definitely worth the money but be aware that there are lots of stairs involved.
Overall, I would love to come back and stay here again.

Room Tip: Some rooms have outside balconies. I would recommend a room facing the interior courtyard with a ba...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Issaquah, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

The pool was surrounded by tropical plants
2 outdoor restaurants with wonderful fountains and tropical landscapes
prices were more spendy. Outside is lighted and makes you feel you are in another world

Explore the different floors with courtyards with fountains & interesting architecture and statues and paintings

Price was very reasonable

riverside
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

The Mission Inn is a step into the past. It has had its good and bad years from its inception. It almost was raised in the early eighties but has survived and been restored to its magnificent grandeur. Many presidents have stayed here including JFK and Nixon (who was married at the Inn). My stay, though I live in Riverside, was just outstanding. The cuisine is of the highest caliber and served in "style". The atmosphere, even while near capacity, is one of solitude and quiet dignity. The Inn is imbued with historic artifacts and I would STRONGLY recommend taking a tour offered by the many docents which are offered at the Mission Inn Museum (yes, it has its own museum). There are countless activities should you wish from trolley tours to strolls down Main St. which offers a view of another historic and outstanding example of architectural genius, the Riverside County Courthouse. I cannot think of one criticism with the exception that it is a bit pricey, but, then, you get what you pay for. Incidentally, Christmas is the very best time to visit the Inn but be sure to make reservations very well in advance as this is the Inn's busiest time of the year.

Room Tip: try to get a room overlooking the pool if you don't mind occasional noise the view is well worth...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reno
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

We spent one night at the hotel. It is Opulence with a European flair. The room overlooked the pool, very pretty view. The pool was noisy till the children left at 10 pm. The beds were very comfortable. Staff very friendly and helpful. We did not eat there but the food looked great. Beautiful architecture and many places to explore and photograph. Definitely stay here instead of a boring square hotel.
The price was very good for the value.

Room Tip: I went to their website and got a room for a very good price, cheaper than a chain hotel.
Oquossoc, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

I had visited the Inn just to eat lunch, but I was impressed by it's history. Twenty years later my best friend and I had the privilege to stay here. I have always loved history..well this is the place to stay. We were on the third floor near the revolving clock, Room 369. What a view into the courtyard. When you stay here you are in another world of the past. We were only going to do one night, but we walked into our incredible room ,I said I'm calling for another night and we cancelled on a night somewhere else on our trip. Our room was beautiful with historial tiles, woodwork etc. You could go on forever. I almost used up my memory stick on my camera.
Take the tour through the Museum. You get to hear and see rooms etc. not allowed alone. The docent tour guide, Patti, was quite informative.

We ate at three of the four restaurants which means we did not leave the place for two days. Our service was excellant. Ate at Duane's Resturant because they featured my favorite...lamb chops and I was not diappointed. Service from David and his partners was wonderful. If you have a diet/allergy issue they will accomodate you. You can also order from the other three restaurants if you wish. Nice to know. It was pricey, but I always treat myself on vacation.

The birds like to talk to you too. They are outside and very friendly. There are so many antiques to look at that is mind bongling. Everywhere you walk there is something different.

I only had a couple issues..our room did not get made up for the second day and front desk didn't take care of it, I found the office of the cleaning people and personally asked for help. Also, our key didn't work on the second day, we'd been shopping, got to our room on the third floor, temperature was 102 and we had shoppping bags. My friend said she'd sit by the door and I'd go check on the keys. I brought the plastic key down, left my wallets etc with my friend while she sat on the steps of the room...stood in line while people checked in. Twenty minutes later got up to the desk and was told very rudely that I needed my ID even though I knew my room number and could provide all my personal information to redo my key. I was also told stupidly that I had probably put it next to my cell phone and that's why it didn't work. Really... both of us doing that on the same day? I went back to the third floor, got my ID which apparently I didn't exist in their records, and then had to stand in line for another 20 minutes, even though she saw me in line,to get the same manager. I was quite angry and said that she should probably comp us at least a glass of wine or something for the time spent. She was not sympathetic at all and said she would call our room if it was possible. (Oh, she also said she was going to send security up to let my friend into the room even though I had to still come up with my ID> Security did not appear and my friend was still sitting in the heat)

She was a Manager just so you know. It did not happen. That was the only negative energy in our stay, but it should not have happened. I think I am going to pursue something with the Inn.

Other than that, everyone working there was delightful. They put out fresh oranges on each floor, which the area is known for. Delicious.

Room Tip: Ask to face the courtyard above
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

If you're interested in history and want an amazing experience, try the Mission Inn and Spa. The rooms are quite comfortable and well appointed...Robes in all rooms, Kelly's Spa products and comfortable beds very similar to the Westin Sweet Sleeper...Luxurious! You never have to leave the grounds...4 restaurants to choose from and a beautiful Spa.. Although not huge but stunning...I could have spent all day there.
The grounds at night are magical - fairy lights everywhere. I felt like I was at Disneyland. I met some people attending a wedding at the Hotel from Los Angeles. They said they felt like they where at some hideaway like Chateau Marmot where they could be themselves and not be bothered...and Riverside...Really? I saw them the next day and had to ask how things went...Their only word...AMAZING!

Room Tip: Try the Drink of the Month along with the Signature Bread Pudding
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business