While growing up in Riverside, the Mission Inn went through several iterations. It used to be the place where we'd tour historic sites and also see President Taft's large chair, etc. The chapels were beautiful and we attended weddings and services. But it felt completely out of reach.
As an adult I am fortunate to have been able to stay there several times. The mix of preserved history with lush decor and high end eating, drinking and even spa services is a perfect balance. I've been there every season from the high heats of summer (cabana staff is awesome) to the craziness during the Festival of Lights (gorgeous!). While all hotels are never perfect, the Mission Inn accomplishes a nice serenity and escape from the world, which is unheard of in the otherwise blah town of Riverside.
Why am I reviewing now? I just returned from a one-night stay with my family for the Festival of Lights. We do this every year as a tradition and my gift is to pay for their rooms and our dinner. Last year was a bit crazy (my handicapped mother had to stand and wait for a long time and then there was confusion with her room) so I emailed the hotel around Thanksgiving and asked if I could come talk to someone about the arrangements I had made.
Within minutes, the general manager replied and the next day I met with the front desk manager, Ingrid. This woman knows something about high end service. She took the time to walk through the room options with me and noted them to ensure they weren't moved to someone else during the checkin process; she even took me to see the rooms to ensure I would be satisfied. Then, she gave me a tour of other parts of the property I'd never seen before.
One month later during our checkin, she single-handedly helped expedite our rooms being finished, chased down a "surprise" that I'd wanted for my family's rooms, and even though there were hundreds of people milling about the lobby, she called to make sure we were all settled.
This is first-class service. She was so patient and I could tell she really cares about the guests and the property. What Ingrid has brought to this hotel is a level of heart that I'd never experienced before and my family and I are quite grateful to her.
- Festival of Lights is chaotic but gorgeous. Recommend a carriage ride.
- The pool is warm and inviting all year around
- The bars in the hotel are richly decorated and have delicious custom drinks
- The steakhouse is great for high end, the Mission Inn Restaurant is moderate and good for all meals, and I love the nachos as the Mexican restaurant
- Casey's Cupcakes is the devil, and delicious. I think I've tried almost every flavor.
- Try a catacombs tour if you're looking for something different to do with the family
- Always check the details in the rooms - usually a weird door or a stairway that goes nowhere. I love it.
- You simply cannot beat the historic architecture
- The valet is always blocked or backed up into the street. Not sure they can fix that but it does make getting in and out hard. The staff is quite friendly though.
- Does Kelly Roberts' airbrushed face have to be on *everything*? I think I hit my limit when I saw her name on a package of jelly beans in the mini bar. This takes away from some of the historic feel. While the Roberts' are "keepers of the inn" they are not why people visit.
Thank you, Ingrid, and the entire staff for a lovely hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This castle-like hotel is next door to the Main Street Pedestrian Mall and a half-mile from the Riverside Convention Center. This historic hotel occupies a city block in downtown Riverside. Guests have included presidents and Pulitzer Prize winners. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelClick, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Mission Hotel Riverside
- Mission Hotel Riverside
- Mission Resort Riverside
- Inn Mission Riverside Ca
- Mission Inn Hotel Riverside