“Mission Inn is fantastic, but watch for smoking”

The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
Reviewed October 9, 2013

My wife and I LOVE the Mission Inn. The rooms are, of course, as promised, very very unique. We have experienced excellent rooms, but there was one room that we had smoke coming into our room at night. We were beat that night, so didn't complain - just lived with it. In the morning, the staff at checkout said that there were no smoking areas near us. Our conclusion, based upon the noise at night (along with the smoke) was that we were near a staff area where the workers would smoke at night.

But, the one smoke complaint aside, the property is just darn fun to stay in with all of the nooks and crannies, staircases and hallways. It's just as fun to photograph the property as it is to stay there! All in all, I would rate it a five, except for the smoking night, which we did not like at all.

Room Tip: When I figure out the "smoking" room number, I'll post it here.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,680)

Reviewed October 4, 2013

The hotel is pretty, but the service is terrible! We couldn't sleep because they were shoving furniture, at 2 o'clock in the morning! The room had spiders, the air conditioner didn't work, and they were going to fix it, but never did. The hotel promises things that are never delivered! Too bad such a nice historical property that is being VERY POORLY MANAGED. The management doesn't respond to guest complaints, and doesn't deliver what they promise. (I was told I was going to get 2 free nights, and didn't get anything!)

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel, unless you can afford the presidential suite, in which case they may treat yo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jua c
Reviewed October 3, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at a lot of very nice facilities. This one is the BEST ever and at a very reasonable price. They had such wonderful staff that you couldn't sneeze without them having a tissue ready for you. Everywhere you looked were beautiful flowers. There were statues and bells and little rooms. A beautiful swimming pool. A lot of old world charm everywhere. The beds were very comfortable and the Sunday Brunch was one of kind. Wow, I couldn't believe our good fortune to be staying at the Mission Inn in Riverside, CA. Make an effort to stay at this facility. We even took a day trip up to Big Bear from here. Not far and beautiful.

Room Tip: They are all beautiful.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Pickeytraveler1943
Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband, my mother and my sister and her family all recently met up for a weekend at The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa. My husband and I travel for work about 4 months a year. This was truly an exceptional spot-- Beautifully maintained historic property with exquisite gardens, pool and room/hotel decor. From the orchid display in the lobby to the bougainvillea cascading over the balconies, this is a flower lover's dream!

Our bed was comfortable with great linens, the windows opened out over the pool, the elevators never seemed crowded, even though the hotel was entirely sold out.

My nephews (4 and 7) loved exploring the property with us, imagining princes and princesses and a dark spooky dungeon-- It has a castle feel for sure!

We had issues with our reservations, however. I booked our room through hotels.com, and my mother's room by calling the hotel directly. For both rooms, I had requested 2 double beds. When we arrived, there was only one queen bed in each room. He moved one of our rooms to the only remaining open room with 2 beds for one night. However, after that, for the second night of our stay, there was nothing to be done, as the hotel was sold out with a car show and 3 weddings that weekend. The manager was kind, and actually remembered talking with me on the phone when I made my mother's reservation-- but all he could offer was a roll-away bed for the 2nd night. He could not say why our reservations had had a problem.

This was disappointing for us, as we had hoped for a more relaxing stay than having my 70 year old mother sleep on a rollaway with one of my nephews while my sister and her husband shared their bed with another nephew.

My mother is retired military, was being charged the discounted government rate for her room, so perhaps the manager felt like he didn't need to do much more in the way of compensating this no-bed situation-- but I felt like it would have been appropriate to have comped a meal or her parking or something.

All in all, I would just recommend calling and confirming with the hotel a day or two in advance of your visit, to be sure what you reserved is what is in the Mission Inn's system.

This truly was a spectacular hotel-- One of the loveliest hotels I've ever had the pleasure of staying in.

The pool was excellent-- not too crowded, and well appointed. We did not get to experience the spa, but the menus had a host of luxurious services. We are hopeful we will have another opportunity to visit The Mission Inn next year when we return for business.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong at this place! Most rooms have windows that open out, but some have balconie...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We bought a package in early December to see all the Christmas lights leisurely. What a deal! When we got to our room we were delighted to find a decorated Christmas tree, evergreen garland with white lights woven through over the archway into the bedroom and around the windows. Our package included free valet parking, a $25 voucher for any of the hotel's restaurants, a tour of this historic resort, cupcakes and milk with the turn down service, a candle from the spa and a voucher for a complimentary hot chocolate or cider. When it came time to pay the bill they were no additional fees or taxes, the cost of the package was all.

All of the holiday decor and the millions of lights makes this a unique place to visit in December. The decorations in our room were a particular treat. But at any time of year the tour would be
interesting, several of the restaurants offer delightful outdoor seating and the hotel rooms are very well appointed, updated, clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara V
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We found the Mission Inn from Tripadvisor and we were driving up from San Diego to the L.A. area and we wanted a hotel that is close to Palm Springs as well. We read the reviews from Tripadvisor and got a great deal and decided to stay here for a night. First of all, this is a gorgeous hotel as soon as you walk in. Some reviewers comment that the check in process is slow, and indeed that was what happened to us. We had to wait quite a while and I am not sure whether this is due to the fact they still use a paper filing system for check in(to keep in line with the style of the hotel may be?) or that there are a lot of guests with many different kinds of questions(which is what happened on my line). The other down side of the hotel is it gets very busy with all the weddings going on with people walking around everywhere. In terms of the old, it is an old style room, and I am a bit disappointed you have to pay for wifi. Beds are comfy enough but not the greatest among all the hotels I have stayed on this trip. But we managed to walk around the hotel and explored different corners of it, and it was indeed very unique and gorgeous. In terms of dining, the hotel has a few restaurants on site, but other kinds of dining in the area are very limited. We end up going across the street to a Thai restaurant for dinner and it was ok. Anyway, as some of the reviewers say, this is one hotel in the bucket list that people should try if they are in the area.

Room Tip: If you want to take a tour of the hotel, try to do it at night or early in the morning. Otherwise, d...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank pym200
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We were in CA to watch our son graduate from boot camp. While we were there we wanted to visit some of my husbands relatives. My parents were with us and did not feel comfortable driving in CA so while we were visiting they needed something to do. This Hotel was perfect. There was an excellent restaurant, a museum, and gardens. They had so much fun just roaming the hotel and going to the museum. The rooms were outstanding, very clean and well maintained. That night we all slept well and got up early to make the 30 min drive to Disney Land. If we are ever in Riverside again we will be staying here.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family