“Perfect for Romantic Weekend!”

The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
Modesto, California
“Perfect for Romantic Weekend!”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The Inn was spectacular, the photos are definitely accurate. Even if you don't normally appreciate architecture, you will love this place. The weekend was perfect, we spent a day touring the Inn and the local downtown area. When we weren't enjoying the patio, balcony, and hotel room, we were poolside. It was truly amazing, like stepping back in time. The Mission Inn is stunning and we will definitely be back. We stayed in one of the Mission Rooms because I was dying to have the stain-glass windows. It was well worth it.

Note:
The bathroom is on the small side, the shower was not intended for more than one person or for someone over 6'4. Also it can be a little drafty in the bathroom, it is an old building. Nothing that was uncomfortable though.

Dining:
Duane's was the best filet mignon we've had... period. Las Campanas (delicious as well) is outside dining, so note the weather. We took advantage of room service for breakfast one morning, very tasty and responsive. Recommend the fruit and waffles.

Things to Do:
Try the local drive-in, yes there is still one in existence! We went on Saturday with a picnic basket and enjoyed the drive-in fare as well as our own. We were traveling to try our hand at driving Indy cars at the Fontane Racetrack, the drive-in provided a nice change of pace. The area is your typical downtown, closing early and with little going on after hours. We also ventured over the the local museum that was a block away. The Ansel Adams exhibit was surprisingly thorough and unique.

Service:
Was ideal, the staff were friendly and responsive. The bellhop was the best we've ever had!

Recommendations:
Make reservations at Duane's Steakhouse (seriously delish!) and for the Mission Inn's Sunday Brunch before you arrive. Make the trip to the top floor for sunrise or sunset, the light on the buildings is truly stunning. Research some activities/destinations beforehand.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kristi J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (505)
Riverside, California
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

The good:
-The hotel had top-notch service. The staff was prompt, knowlegable, well trained, helpful, and friendly whenever we had contact with them- whether it was the Mission Inn Resteraunt (more about that later), the front desk, the room service, the valet parking- all of them were excellent. They never said "no" to us on any request and went above and beyond to insure we had a pleasant stay.
-The hotel and grounds were impeccably well maintained. Everything was spotless and in good condition.
-The rooms were luxurious (in my opinion). I loved how they provided us with fluffy robes. I loved the attention to detail too- the little bows on the tissue and towels was super-cute! The rooms have complementary spa-quality toiletries- soap, lotion, etc. The bed, oh the BED! The bed was piled with fluffy down-pillows and the comforter was fluffy down too! It was like being on a cloud. (Though I have more to say about the pillows, later.) The MISSION KING room, at least the one we had, had a window seat AND a private balcony with patio furniture. :-) The room also had snacks and drinks in-room (at an extra cost, of course. But still it was a nice option.)
-The Mission Inn Resteraunt food was delicious. Service was unbeatable! Although we had one (excellent) server assigned to us, all the other staff helped each other when they saw a need. Our drink glasses never got empty. I love how they offer a buffet! There's a dinner buffet, a salad bar, and a dessert bar. And the buffet theme is different everyday. When we went (Friday night) it was Sea Food and my husband loved it. I had the rotissere chicken. Yum!
-The package we got was a very good value. We paid $189 for 1 night. It came with free valet parking (normally $15- yikes!) , one night in the MISSION KING room, two cupcakes from Casey's Cupcakes, and a $25 gift card to spend anywhere in the hotel- resteraunt, lounge, spa, room service... anywhere! We used it toward our final bill, which brings me to another point...
-The billing system is super convenient. Maybe this is normal, but anything we purchased could be added to our room tab if we wanted to. It was a nice option.

Ok, now the bad:
-Even though it is a five-star hotel, and it's a historical landmark, I still think everything is a little-bit over-priced. We happened to get a package that was a good deal... but their normal prices are a little steep for what you get. The room service charged us a $3 delivery fee, plus tax, PLUS tip. The snacks and drinks were over-priced too. We expect conveniences like that to be priced a little high, but in my opinion it was just a little bit TOO high. Whatever you do, DON'T order the in-room movies! Most of them were $16 and up! They had "deals" on a few, which were $5, but that was a very few. And there was no DVD player, at least not in our room.
-The TV was weird. Large, but weird. A lot of the channels looked kind-of blurry. The volume between channels was insanely different for some reason. (Network error, or TV malfunction?) We had to mute the volume till we found one we liked so we didn't wake up the neighborhood. Lol.
-There was almost nothing good on the channels you get for free.
-The pillows: although luxurious- comfy and fun to lounge in bed with, they were impractical and not good for sleep because they were too fluffy and didn't hold any shape or give much support.

That is my review. Over-all I had a wonderful time! I will deffintely be going back someday when I can afford it. I would totally recommend this hotel to anyone who's looking for luxury, romance, or relaxation. Just be prepared to spend a lot of money.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Slumberprincess87
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I agree with others that this is THE place to stay in Riverside. Indeed, it seemed to be the only place where anything was happening in Riverside. The town otherwise seemed almost depressed it was so quiet; few people out and about; many closed stores.

You definitely need a map to get around this property. It is a real place to sight see in and off itself -- you can even take a guided tour if you like. The place has multiple restaurants and the food is good in the 4 we tried. The pool is a good size such that one can feel that a few laps actually does constitute exercise! There is pool-side service for drinks and food -- definitely this place has the feeling of a resort, not just an hotel. And clearly a LOT of weddings happen here.

Our room was very spacious, clean and well maintained with a Juliet balcony overlooking the pool. Unfortunately we were on the 2nd floor and, if I understand the hotel layout correctly, the rooms on this part of the 2nd floor at least were underneath the walkway for the 3rd floor above. In any event there was almost nonstop sound overhead: foot traffic thumping along as well as the rumble of rolling luggage. Others in our party were located elsewhere and were pleased with their rooms.

If you are going to Riverside, definitely stay here.

Room Tip: Don't choose the second floor facing the pool unless you don't mind hearing foot traffic and...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel. Our room was spacious, a king on the 2nd floor. There is a tour available and next time I'll take it. Lots of history here!

We enjoyed sitting around the pool area, although it was hard to get a seat as the staff was slow to pick up the wet towels and it was hard to tell if the chairs were taken or reserved (for you cruisers out there,you know what I'm talking about).

We ate in the restaurant for breakfast, typical fare. The Sunday brunch looked great, but too much food and too many dollars for me.

We found it hard to get a drink served to us outside of the restaurants. There are lovely couches and chairs in the extended lobby but they won't serve you there. Missing lots of revenue! Finally they put bar service at the pool on Sunday. But...there was no chairs :(

Room Tip: Room 223 is larger than some on the 2nd floor,it has a walk-in closet and a sitting area, but only a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 2mutts4us
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The hotel far exceeded our expectations. The hotel is larger than I expected and well maintained. Our room was clean and in good shape. The bathroom could use minor tlc. The bathroom was not bad but just not the same quality as the room and the rest of the hotel. The staff was unbelievably friendly and seemed like wanted to help out with anything.. They will charge (I think it was $15) for overnight parking. We parked ½ block away for free- We discovered this on one of our morning walk/run when we talked with the parking attendant. The pool was very relaxing and a good place to sit by the pool, sip on a drink and enjoy life. My wife fell in love with the millionaire mimosa. We waited a very long time to get someone to serve us at the pool so I walked into the Presidents Bar and brought the drinks/food to the pool. Oddly enough there was happy hour (half price drinks/food if I remember correctly) in the bar and not at the pool. We took daily walks around the town and felt very comfortable but it is CA so you will see some homeless people around but they generally didn’t bother us. Very good place for romantic weekend. The only misfortune was the service at Duane’s. We had to get the maitre d’ to clean the table. I’m sure the steaks/sides were great but with the poor service it really pulled down the “mental/emotional” food quality. We went there to be wined and dined but it was really hard to do with poor service. The service was so poor we did order dessert, another side dish, more wine and after dinner drinks so the bill was only $160 for two when it could have been much more than that. I left a comment card which I rarely do but that’s hos bad the service was and the F&B Mngr called me to discuss my comments. He seemed genuine in explaining to me that they were busier than expected for a Tuesday night but that was it. I will absolutely go back to the Mission Inn but may venture out of the hotel when seeking a nice dinner. I am told there is a nice tapas restaurant just a few blocks away that we’ll try. We did try the other restaurant at the hotel and received great service and food just as we did at the Presidents Bar. This would be a star but with the poor service I have to take a star away – unfortunately.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fredeaux
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed July 19, 2013

You could spend hours just looking at all the architectural detail in this huge hotel - and it's worth e very minute.
Our room was clean and comfortable with a small balcony overlooking the pool. We asked for a quite room and they delivered.

The hotel staff for the most part was professional, especially Austin, the Bellman who first greeted us and showed us to our room.

The bar where we went for drinks and appetizers was very nice like the rest of the hotel but the bar staff was very slow (at 4PM) and enjoyed each others company more than the customers.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Loma Linda, California
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed here as part of our honeymoon, from July 16-18. The building itself is lovely and atmospheric, with lots of history (e.g. the Taft chair), large, well-appointed rooms and lots of amenities on site. However, we did feel let down by a number of service glitches. On our first morning, the electronic lock on our room door failed, and it took housekeepers and engineers half an hour to let us back in. One of them commented, unconcernedly, that those locks always fail in bright, hot sunlight, and didn't seem to regard replacing them with locks that do work as a priority. The valet parking took nearly 20 minutes to retrieve our car on two occasions (combined with the lock debcale, this made us late for an appointment). The on-site bar and restaurants serve nice food and drink, but at very high end prices. Dining on the patio at Los Companos one evening was horrible, because it was plagued by flying insects and nothing could be done to prevent flies from crawling all over our food. Have they thought about putting up a few bug zappers in the seating area?! And then, to cap it all, on our last morning there was a loud knock on the door at about 8.30am, immediately followed by the noise of a key in the lock, despite the fact that we'd put the 'do not disturb' sign on the door! When I answered it there were two housekeepers outside, one of whom said 'Err, sorry, we thought you'd checked out'. We hadn't, and they should have checked before trying to march straight into a room with a do not disturb sign on it. My wife was getting dressed at the time and was quite shocked. All in all this place has a great ambience, but the standard of service fell way below what I would expect at $200 a night.

Room Tip: Not on the third floor with doors that open out facing the pool. Someone from engineering admitted...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple