“Pleasantly Surprised!!!”

Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
San Juan Capistrano, California
“Pleasantly Surprised!!!”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Stayed one night to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Booked a package which included cupcakes & brunch. Was able to check-in early, room was in great condition considering it's age, was small but cozy with a balcony & pool view. Took a tour (the docent was average at best) & got to see areas we would not get to see otherwise. Had cocktails at the Presidential Lounge where they free pour drinks. Ate prime rib dinner buffet on the patio at the Mission Inn restaurant and it was delicious. Took a late night jacuzzi (had hot water & strong jets, stays open till 11p) & dip in the pool. Slept like a baby in the most comfortable bed & bedding. Appreciate their standard check-out is 12p as it was a treat to sleep in. The Casey's cupcakes were super sweet & one was stale...awful. Ate brunch buffet on the patio again which was even better then the night before. Loved the architecture, art, history & gardens. Plus, the service was excellent. Felt like we went far, far away. Will definately be back when we want a relaxing getaway that won't break the bank close to home. Antiques across the street also has great values. Had a great time!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The mission inn is wonderful to look at and the atmosphere is amazing. The rooms also match the theme very well. However, the walls are a little thin so you can here every sound at night. This is a great wedding venue, so you will here people in the halls throughout the night. We were on the second floor and could here the person above us rolling there luggage across the floor and constant clicking heels. The third floor room must not have carpeting? I would also like to recommend investing in some softer sheets. The sheets we slept on do not meet four star standards.

1 Thank GreatTraveltime
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 25, 2012

The Mission Inn is a one of a kind. We went for a wedding last weekend and were enthralled, entertained and enchanted. The square block property contains a lot of history (including the oldest bell in existence). The staff is gracious and helpful, the valets even run to get your car. The chapel, while nowhere near as large as say Westminster (it seats around 180) is about as beautiful as any in the world. The pool is lovely. The Sunday brunch is perhaps the most bountiful I've ever seen. All of this at a most reasonable price! If you have to be anywhre witin 20 miles of Riverdale, you would be foolish not to stay here.

Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed October 18, 2012

If you need to be in Riverside, this is the place to stay. Although old, and a bit musty, it is absolutely charming, and quite educational too. (They run guided tours every day)
The rooms are clean, and the air conditioning works.
Well worth staying at just for the ambience.

Room Tip: Ask if they are having a wedding, as many of the rooms face the inner courtyards.
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed October 9, 2012

My husband and I had another great experience at the hotel. Kids were away for the night so we decided to head to the hotel for some down time. It was 107 degrees in Riverside and I almost cancelled because of that but so glad we didn't. The pool was amazing, misters and umbrellas made it very enjoyable as well as some of the most comfortable pool loungers I've ever sat on. We had a corner room over looking the pool and it felt like a small apartment, the view was amazing looking out over the restaurant patio. I booked through Expedia which was about $35 cheaper per night than the hotel direct, I then called the hotel shortly after to request a pool view room on our desired floor. We visited the wine bar after dinner which I highly recommend. After, we got our own bottle and roamed the hotel grounds for an hour or so. Every where we went there was a new little door to explore. One thing I have to say about this hotel to keep us coming back is the service, it is some of the best I've ever experienced.

Room Tip: We prefer even rooms on the 2nd floor over looking the pool area. We had a corner room (252 if I re...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Nevada
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I am only motivated to review the very bad and and the very good when it comes to hotels, this one is particularly good. My family have stayed several times now and it is without doubt the favorite of both my wife and I and our children. The pool is wonderful and quiet, the staff are first rate and it is a wonderfully attractive building. I entertain the children by making a treasure hunt around the building using "post it's" with clues to the next location. They get to explore and we have a little peace.
I highly recommend this hotel, especially good military rate. Thank you Mission Inn, see you again soon.

Room Tip: They are all good
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank mjr73
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Earlier this year, I spent a few days exploring one of Southern California’s hidden gems, The Mission Inn and Resort in downtown Riverside.

Once arriving to the hotel, one can’t help but to imagine visiting a far off country where old world artisan architecture encompasses its total surroundings. This jewel of the Inland Empire boasts charm and historical richness - perfect setting for a chapter in your early-American history book.

All the rooms offer unique features with wonderful views. Each has been recently renovated and the accommodations are to die for. On this stay I was fortunate enough to book a couple of nights in the ‘Garden of the Sky’ located on the 4th floor. Let me just share (and I’m sure you too will appreciate), that the walls are totally soundproof – blocking out the sounds of the busy metropolis below.! Amen.

I don’t even know where to begin on sharing my experience. The hotel had been constructed in 1876 and expanded in 1902 by sections and ultimately pulled together by the current owners with lots of love and attention to the slightest detail. Bedding is rich and comfortable. Rooms are charming, and most importantly very clean. Your hotel room greets you with a thick and comfy bath robe to wear along with your personal pair of slippers. Fresh towels are offered daily. Yes!

On my first day, I dined at the hotel’s premier restaurant, Duane’s Prime Steaks & Seafood. My dining experience began with the tableside prepared Caesar Salad. (It was by far the best salad I have ever eaten.) Next, was a bowl of their creamy Lobster Bisque soup, simply divine. Then the main entrée, Double Cut Lamb Chops with mint glaze, done at the chef’s recommendation. (My compliments to the chef!) Sides are ordered separately. I suggest the Tuscany Risotto, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Brussels Sprouts Tocino and the Grilled Jumbo Asparagus. Wines change with the season, so have the server recommend one to you that will compliment your dish. This wonderful experience came to an end with a Grand Marnier Soufflé that left you wanting more. Before you leave, be sure to stop by the lobby of 54’ at Duane’s to enjoy nightcap while you watch couples dance to spicy, live jazz music.

If you are not too tired, I strongly suggest that you discreetly explore the hotel’s ‘nooks and crannies’. Venture through the narrow tuscan doorways, upon the Mission Inn Skybridge, through Spanish patios, past bubbling fountains, into castle courtyards, passing open arches with Spanish mosaics, and hidden catacombs, just to name a few things. At night, this place comes to life with such enchantment and mystery - that a visit during the day would otherwise be missed. If at all possible, try to peek into the fascinating chapel St. Francis of Assisi to see the richly ornate, 24k inlaid, Raya Altar and Tiffany stained glass windows. (The story behind this hidden gem is something straight out of an Indiana Jones story line - with a happy ending!) If you still find yourself restless and need to walk a bit more, stroll over to the five-story rotunda found on the west side of the hotel. The arched doorways and artisan-style rod iron handrails give way to a beautiful view down to a European style fountain on the ground floor.

Oh! I almost forgot! If you are in the mood for the ultimate indulging experience, be sure to reserve some much deserved ‘me time’ at Kelly’s Spa located on the ground floor. Here you be pampered with the ultimate spa experience while you drift away into sheer bliss.

I could go on and on at great lengths about this jewel, but fear this blog would not be published. Words cannot express the mystique you’ll experience when you walk through the front doors. This is one destination you’ll be reminiscing about for time to come. XO

Room Tip: Plan ahead and make reservations at Kelly's Spa as space is limited.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple