“Great hotel, but not if you want to sleep”

The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
Reviewed July 29, 2012

This is a beautiful historic hotel. The setting, architecture, and landscape are gorgeous, and we had a lot of fun exploring the hotel and its surroundings. The pool is very relaxing and nicely landscaped, although it could have used more lounge chairs and tables. The hotel is also very well located in downtown Riverside, near many great restaurants and shops.

The only knock against the hotel is that the walls are paper-thin - we could hear everything in the room next to ours. In addition, the hotel seems to be somewhat of a "party hotel", maybe because there are many weddings held there, so there were very loud, partying guests making lots of noise in the hallways late at night. This happened on both nights we were there (Friday and Saturday). It was hard to get a good night's rest, as the partying continued throughout the night. Aside from that, we had a great time.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa

Reviewed July 29, 2012

We were lucky to stay at this beautiful hotel this weekend while attending a swim meet. From the moment we drove into the driveway we were impressed with the friendliness of the staff. The hotel looks like what I envisioned "Old California" to be. The grounds are beautiful with a pretty pool .

The food is delicious and everyone was helpful and friendly without being overbearing.

When we returned to our room after dinner, we heard a baby crying next door. I knew that might present a problem, we called down stairs and within 5 minutes they were up in our room to move us to another lovely room.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Check web page or call hotel for brochure, to determine many choices of rooms and facilities available.
Many rooms with scenic viewa or balcony. Great choice of four rstaurants and large cocktail lounge with weekend entertainment.
Very lush landscaping. large pool and spa...

Room Tip: Good choice of room locations, sizes and value. ( Balconies, scenic views, etc. ) Four outstandin...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kenneth161
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stayed here 2 nights for business and am amazed at how gorgeous the old Mission converted to a hotel looks - successful conversion! All the rooms have an old world Spanish flare to it and the 2 rooms I stayed in on the 2nd floor were very spacious. Hallways are a little dark but it makes you feel like you ARE in a historical structure. The beautiful architecture of the building is intricately designed. The location of the hotel is ideal as it is walking distance to just about everything in downtown (bars, dessert stores, restaurants).

Had only breakfast at the hotel both days and the service and food was great in their main courtyard area. The tofu scramble is worth trying!

Would definitely return here for the next business trip. It's a nice change from staying in modern hotels like the Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott etc.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 25, 2012

While visiting family this week we had the pleasure of spending two nights at the Mission Inn. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic getaway or just to relax and recharge. I booked on a third party travel site and received an awesome rate. We had a room that overlooked the Spanish Courtyard. The decor throughout the Inn is stunning. We did not have the opportunity to eat at any of the restaurants but did have awesome cupcakes from Casey's Cupcakes...must try! Valet parking is reasonable at $15 per night and the staff was courteous and most helpful. Would definitely recommend a stay at this historic inn.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 21, 2012

My recent trip to Riverside, gave me am opportunity to stay at this hotel. I had a nice room with a balcony that I used to enjoy my coffee every morning. This hotel is historical and romantic. I enjoyed the wonderful antiques that were on display as well as listening in on part of a museum tour that was provided by the hotel. The court yard was spectacular from any vantage point. I enjoyed getting my exercise by walking around all four levels and taking terrific pictures of the stonework, stained glass windows and landscape. Room service was within the timeline told to me and the food was good. My favorite area is the entrance with the parrots, cannons, and decor.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank rocklvr03
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Check in went smoothly. I asked if the room had a refrigerator and the lady said yes, but we are out of mini-bar keys and that she would send one up. That never happened. Everything else was nice until I decided to take a shower. I was in room 150 (wouldn't reccommend) and discovered the barely covered window in the shower was overlooking the wonderful and busy outdoor restaurant. Not sure if anybody got a free show or not, but it was a very unconfortable shower for me as I was constantly looking to see if the curtian was blocking me. Also I understand the building is old and maybe it doesnt have the best windows, but the room location was extremely loud as I listened to the restaurant crowd below (there was a lot of wedding celebration going on) until after 10pm. No bueno. Then there was a lovely couple of june bugs hanging out in my bathtub as I woke up that morning. I decided on an early check-out (6am) without out a shower was necessary. As I told the front desk about the bug fiasco and how disgusted I was, she was hardly apologetic and offered zero perks to make up for it. This stay was less than satisfying.

Room Tip: Do not choose room 150.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business