“Beautiful setting, with lots of interesting stories to the history of the inn. Beautiful pool, and restaurants. Big bedrooms, cl”

The Mission Inn Hotel and Spa
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Riverside
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We had a great night at the mission inn on a Friday night. We had a big spacious room, that was really quiet, overlooking the japanese garden. We had a great time, by the pool, which was pretty quiet so we had the place to ourselves, lovely jacuzzi. We had dinner in the Mexican restaurant - lovely food, and huge margarita's that rocked. Was a fun stop off night on our way to palm springs :-) great sandwich shop called simple Simons just outside hotel on main shopping strip.

• Stayed: September 2011
Write a ReviewReviews (1,692)

Reviewed September 12, 2011

I stayed at the Mission Inn for a week on a business trip. The hotel is really spectacular, and we had a lot of fun just exploring the grounds. The room I stayed in was quite nice and was not just a standard hotel room. It had tall wood beamed ceilings and wonderful spanish tile in the bathroom. The bougainvillea vines growing on the balcony were just beautiful.

The staff was consistently pleasant and helpful. I will definitely stay here on my next trip to Riverside.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank mellykins153
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I grew up in So Cal and knew this place existed, but had never been. We loved it. Our reunion included elderly and young kids. Both loved the pool, patio, wonderful lobbies, and also the 4 or so restaurants (having choices).

We were there in a very hot period and the hotel was a perfect place to relax in the evening by the pool, and as mentioned, up on the various patios arount the hotel

I loved our room w/ the cutouts; very old looking but w/ full AC , TV, etc.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here during Labor Day weekend. They had a package for room, valet and $25 restaurant certificate for $169. We arrived about 3pm but our room wasn't ready, so they took out bags and we headed to the pool. Pool was crowded with Labor Day vacationers but we found a couple of deck chairs and got to order drinks and snacks. Pool attendants were super nice and helpful. Our room was old but gorgeously remodeled. It had a brick Spanish style fireplace and 3 sided window that stuck out of the building. Bed was very comfortable, and bathroom was nice. We had dinner at Mission Inn Restaurant which has seating in the beautiful Spanish Courtyard, and lunch at the Mexican Restaurant in Presidential Lounge. Both were excellent, although Mission Inn Restaurant is quite pricey. Next day we strolled around the hotel admiring all the structure and detail however we later found out we missed the most beautiful part of the hotel..."Rotunda" and "Oriental Court"! We're definitely going back to explore that part.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank flyin321
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I am not going to make this a long review as the hotel is well-known. We stayed for one night in a suite which accommodated 5 of us. The bed was very comfortable indeed and the suite exited onto an elevated walkway surrounding the main courtyard. The hotel is very busy indeed. The pool area is very large and an excellent facility. There are several restaurants, we found the Mexican one to meet our needs.

Breakfast was excellent, but not complimentary.

Room Tip: Hotel can get hot - the suites on the top level open out onto a balcony and provide lots of atmosphe...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 4, 2011

We visited Riverside on a tour of southern California, and stayed at the Mission Inn due to reviews and the photos of the site. It is a wonderful old hotel, with nice rooms. It is older, of course, but it is worth the stay just to walk around and see the beautiful antiques and style of the hotel. The restaurants are also nice.
The room we had had lots of windows, which was both good and bad. The views and light were nice, but we could hear the din of the people celebrating and eating on the patio until the restaurants closed. After that, it was quiet.
The hotel rooms are a bit pricey, but it certainly was worth the experience for one night!
Note: look for hotel room options with valet parking included. Otherwise it is tricky to find a parking spot in the area. The valet staff are efficient.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2011

We have stayed here 3 times now, and this place is definitely a mixed bag. On the surface, the Mission Inn is amazing. You could spend hours walking around the grounds, learning the history and getting lost in the beautiful maze of rooms/corridors.

A lot of reviewers have mentioned they have had bad experiences with the staff. This has not generally been the case with us. I can't remember a time when the staff has not been entirely acommodating. Once, I thought I had lost my purse. Three female staff members spent an hour searching for it with me. I found out I had accidentally packed it in my suitcase. I forgot to call them to let them know, and they actually called me to make sure I had found it. Another example of staff helpfulness will be explained later...

We have eaten at Duane's Steakhouse a couple of times and will probably not go back. The first time we ate there, it was fabulous. But it is hard to repeat things that are fabulous. The next time we went, our steaks were definitely not worth what we paid for them. My husband's tasted like liver, and mine was tough and had more fat than meat on it. We did not like our waiter, and we felt let down.

The Mexican restaurant is beautiful at night--has great lights and atmosphere. The "ultimate margarita" is fantastic.

We have only paid to stay in "mission rooms". The first time we stayed in a mission room, I can't begin to tell you how positive the experince was. The view was beautiful, we loved the smells coming to the room from the nearby herb garden, loved hearing the bells sounding at regular intervals, loved the vaulted ceilings, and the overall romantic atmosphere.

The next time we stayed here, however, we ran into some problems. We requested the same room we'd had before and got it. Our stay started out great. But then at about 3:00 in the afternoon of the second day we were disappointed to hear what sounded like a party being started in the room next door to ours. I went out to investigate and found about 10 college-aged girls having a lingere/party picture-taking session. It didn't bother me that much at first. Just a few college girls having fun. But then, they stayed. And the partying/craziness did not stop. It literally sounded like they were throwing things against the walls next door. About 10:00 that night we finally called to complain. Security was quick to respond. The girls did not quit, however, and it was 2:00 a.m. and multiple complaints later before the staff finally moved us to a suite. The suite was beautiful, but we were too tired to appreciate it.

The last time we stayed we tried to get our mission room again. It was being cleaned and was not ready yet, and they offered us a different mission room on the 4th floor. Feeling like a change of routine might be fun, we accepted. When we got to the room we were told by the bellhop that the carpets had just been cleaned. The floor was apparently drying from the cleaning, and were still damp. My husband noticed a slight stink coming from the carpet, but I thought he was just being picky. We planned on going out soon, so this did not bother us too much. After getting dinner, we got back. With the fans gone and the doors closed, the room began to really stink. We thought maybe the carpets were still drying from the "cleaning" they had gotten. So we went to sleep. When we got up the next morning, we went to get breakfast. When we got back, the smell was ridiculously strong. It smelled very much like raw sewage and we began to suspect the carpets had been "cleaned" because the toilet had backed up. I could not handle paying 200+/night for our stay with this smell constantly hanging over us. We called the front desk and they moved us to a different room. I was felt justified because when the bellhop came to move us, he literally gagged several times. I feel like I am being melodramatic here, but I promise you--it was *that bad*. The new room was fantastic (also a mission room) and we were very happy with the rest of our stay.

So, all in all, I would say this place has some issues that need to be worked out. It's a *big* hotel and there are always problems with big hotels. We have appreciated the staff's willing and helpful manner, though, and will most likely be back to give it another shot.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple